Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Vic Carucci's take on AFCN

- Pittsburgh:
Second-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has two new targets to help him step up his game in first-round draft pick Heath Miller, a tight end from Virginia, and free-agent receiver Cedrick Wilson, formerly of the 49ers. Miller provides the athleticism the Steelers have not had at tight end in recent seasons. With good speed, reliable hands, and a knack for finding holes in coverage, Miller should help Roethlisberger's confidence because the young quarterback will know he should have somewhere he can go with the ball when other options aren't available. Miller has good speed and could develop into a play-making threat, especially with a big-armed and accurate passer.

The Steelers like the aggressiveness second-round draft pick Bryant McFadden, a cornerback from Florida State, has displayed in offseason workouts. Third-rounder Trai Essex (Northwestern) has good enough overall skill to push Max Starks at right offensive tackle.

- Position battles:
Pittsburgh: Starks versus Essex for the starting spot at right offensive tackle. Starks has shown good run-blocking ability in short-yardage situations, but it remains to be seen whether he can handle the position on a full-time basis. Essex's footwork, which is exceptional for a rookie, should help him wage a strong challenge.

- The early read:
The Steelers remain the team to beat in this division and should again contend for the AFC title. Roethlisberger's standout rookie season was no fluke. He has the arm and mobility to remain every bit as effective as he was last year. And with the Steelers' coaches expected to take the handcuffs off and allow him to be more aggressive in the passing game, Roethlisberger is likely to put up more impressive numbers. Pittsburgh's defense still might allow too many big plays, but its offense has enough playmakers to carry the load.

The Ravens should be in the hunt, provided Boller can build upon the strong finish he had at the end of the '04 season. They have added enough talent on both sides of the ball. They also made good coaching moves by appointing Jim Fassel, who worked as an offensive consultant for the team last year, their new offensive coordinator, as well as hiring former University of Washington coach Rick Neuheisel as their new quarterbacks coach and making Ryan their new defensive coordinator.

The Bengals need to become much stronger on defense to be a factor in the division, and it remains to be seen whether they've achieved as much. The Browns have made numerous necessary changes from top to bottom, but how quickly they take hold and the right chemistry develops is unknown.

link.....http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8673422
Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Vic Carucci's take on AFCN

Nice article. I watched some college clips of Miller and he looks great. If Cowher is letting Ben throw more this guy will definitely become a passing game threat. Bryant McFadden is a player I am anxious to see at training camp. I have read a lot of good things about him. I wasn't aware that Essex may be getting a starting job. I haven't heard to much on him. Anyone know what Cowher and Co. are saying about him?
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I find it strange that so much reliance is going into a rookie TE - especially one that is expected to contribute to the pass catching offence.
You have a 1st year rookie TE - as a 'safety valve' for a 2nd year QB - sounds kind of risky to me.
Anyone else worth their salt on the TE depth chart?
Also WR, you have Hines (highest quality) Randle El (unproven but talented) Wilson...but after this...anyone of note?
I would be worried if you took some injury hits to that offence.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

LITP, understand you point though I see it as the threat not the total reliance. We don't throw that much anyway, so hopefully Ben can continue to be a accurate passers(cut down on int's!) to keep teams honest with Miller. Just like you guys, you know Brady can hit one of your TE's inside the red zone from time to time to keep yo ufrom totally keying on the fake to Dillon. I'd rather have teams be afraid that Miller could separte from a LB 15 yrds away and catch a pass than our old threat of Plax getting deep and burning DB's which only happend maybe three times in his career.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

I think our offense is over-rated. Our team thrives off of championship defense.
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote