Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-21-2005, 01:31 AM   #1
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Question Dolphin Game Observations and Questions

Some things I wanted to put up for discussion about the Dolphins game. Observations and the like...

1.) to me, it seemed like the team was much more focused for this game than the last one. I also thought it funny that our last two games against the Dolphins have been near washed out :P

2.) I still listen to the games with the TV muted and the Steelers Radio Network on. One of the broadcasters kept mixing Charlie Batch and Willie Parker's names together, and kept saying Charlie Parker, and the other said Yardbird. For those of you that don't know, Charlie "Yardbird" Parker was a famous Jazz musician. I like the nickname Willie "Yardbird" Parker much better than Fast Willie Parker; He flys like a bird and racks up the yards :P. I was skeptic of Willie, thinking he was a flash in the pan, but tonight's game has made me a believer. Game Ball, anyone?

3.) With about 9 minutes left in the 4th, I saw Chris Kemoeatu (lol I love how his name is like 'mo eat you!) push a defender after our RB was down, and the guy trying to get a flag called on Big Chris. Anyone else see this? I guess our boy hasnt softenend since college.

4.) I thought Clint Kriewaldt did very well this game. I don't know what the exact stats were, but I think he did pretty well for a second-teamer. He is a wily old vet. Which brings me to my next idea. Do you guys think Mike Logan still has enough talent to take the FS spot from hope? I saw him chop through that guy on that kickoff return, and him run with the lateral and got excited. Maybe it's just me...

5.) I was watching the game on CBS, and sometime in the 4th quarter they closed up on Eric Taylor. What were they saying about him? good? bad? hmm...

6.) I think while Willie Parker is a very good back, he either goes long, or doesnt go far. It's one or the other. I think Noah Herron showed much more consistency in today's game.

7.) I think Ricardo better start doing something, otherwise I dont think he'll be starting this year on anything but special teams. Ike keeps impressing and Ricky keeps depressing. In terms of passing one another on the depth chart, I think St. Pierre passed Batch tonight. It may have just been me, but I think St. Pierre did MUCH better than Batch. Either that, or Batch did MUCH worse tonight :P. or maybe a bit of both

8.) How long do you guys think it will be before Okobi replaces Hartings? I have a feeling that during the regular season games we'll see those two almost sharing the spot at center. I know Hartings is good, but he's old too, and I don't want to see him get blown out this year being the starter. Also, how long until Kimo gets replaced with Keisel? According to an interview I read with Kimo, he said he'll play till they kick him out of the league, but Keisel has really been impressing on the second team.

I know this was pretty big, so I didnt put it in the sticky. If it should be there, could someone move it? thanks. Anyways, let me know what you think...
Old 08-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Thumbs up Re: Dolphin Game Observations and Questions

The defense was definately focused.. the starters and backups were on fire all night.. the pass rush was solid if not spectacular at times, the rush defense was second to none..the pass defense was solid, although they did give up some big plays,..but then again, we arent full out blitzburgh in the preseason so Im not too worried.

Ike taylor definately showed again and had a good game. Coc was good in on defense but his return game was bad. Hope definately stepped up and had another good game.

Offensive wise we were definately not on track, out of sync and inconsistent. Its only preseason so Im not concerned really at this point.

Chris K. and Taylor both had solid games and are definately improving.. if they keep it up, our OL will be AOK. They were talking about his need to step up and be a force mainly (taylor) and highlighting some of his good play.

Kriedwalt had a solid game too, best Ive seen him on the defense since he's been here. He'll always be a ST demon, but he had a good game tonite nonetheless.

parker had a great game, and when he gets stacked up he can cut and turn on the burners in a snap. He'll be a beast in the short passing game. Herron was running Hard all 2nd half, he helped grind out several minutes off the clock. I know we cant keep all of them, but parker should be a shoe in to make the team, and herron can make it as kreiders backup and play a dual role.

Good stuff!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
SteelZeal
Water Boy

Member Number: 552
Default Re: Dolphin Game Observations and Questions

One thing: Some people are already panicking over Ben and the offense. (But mostly Ben.) Please, do not to this to yourselves, and do not do this to others. It's rather sickening. I realize the first-team offense hasn't looked great thus far, but c'mon. They played one series against Philly, and looked lackluster tonight in poor conditions. I'm not using that as an excuse, but I will say that an offense requires a lot of timing, and we're not there yet. That's part of what the preseason is for, after all. And you're not gonna get timing when you don't play more than one series, or when you're in a game where a turnover occurs every other play. And also, Cedrick Wilson dropped a TD, so Ben's 6/11 51 yds. 0 TD 1 INT could very well be 7/11 60 yds. 1 TD 1 INT. Let's all just calm down. Don't start stressing just yet.
SteelZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Quote:
And also, Cedrick Wilson dropped a TD, so Ben's 6/11 51 yds. 0 TD 1 INT could very well be 7/11 60 yds. 1 TD 1 INT. Let's all just calm down. Don't start stressing just yet.

Just to correct you without bashing Ben, Wilson did'nt drop this ball, it was thrown to high, which makes me agree with you on the timing theory.
Two more preseason games to go and our offense should start to look better.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I agree don`t panic yet. Ben I trhink will be fine. I hope. Ward has only been back two real practices.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

I was also impressed Willie Parker. It was good to see him get some playing time with the 1st teamers. The defense looked very good. But our Offense totally stinks.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Quote:
I was also impressed Willie Parker. It was good to see him get some playing time with the 1st teamers.

Parker and Herron need to work the rest of the preseason with the 1st team, because the tread on Bettis' tires are wearing thin and you can't count on Staley being there during the season.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
SteelZeal
Water Boy

Quote:
Just to correct you without bashing Ben, Wilson did'nt drop this ball, it was thrown to high, which makes me agree with you on the timing theory.
Two more preseason games to go and our offense should start to look better.
It was thrown a tad bit high, but Wilson still got both hands on it and should have had it. If you saw the replay from the side of the end zone, Wilson really didn't have to jump that high to make the catch.

It wasn't the best throw, but it still should have been caught.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #9
Da Boot
Water Boy

Member Number: 513

The reason people are starting to question Ben is his mechanics are horrible. He throws flat footed and across his body way to much which is exactly what he was doing late last year. I did notice however after he threw the interception last night he was stepping into his throws and putting a little more zip on the ball. I'm not worried about the timing of the offense as much as I am Ben being more confident back in the pocket.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
SteelZeal
Water Boy

No doubt, his mechanics aren't the greatest on a lot of his throws. Sometimes he can look good and others, well, just see the INT to Tuman again. Pretty bad. But he's still a young NFL QB. A lot of people will have forgotten that by now, just because of last season's success.