Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Testaverde signs on with New England

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Vinny Testaverde, who came out of retirement last season to help out the New York Jets, was signed on yesterday by New England.

The move came after the Patriots lost two in a row for the first time since 2002 as Tom Brady played two of his poorest games. Until signing Testaverde, New England had only one other quarterback on its roster, second-year pro Matt Cassel.

Testaverde, who turned 43 Monday, was the first overall pick by Tampa Bay in the 1987 draft. He has played 19 NFL seasons and has 269 touchdown passes, eighth in NFL history, and is sixth with 45,252 yards passing.

Brady has been listed as probable on the injury report every week for last season and this season, but hasn't missed a game.

Asked if Brady has seemed hampered in his performance, coach Bill Belichick said, "I think that Tom has had good days, good weeks of practice. I just think overall, we collectively as a team -- coaches, players, everybody -- we just have to do a better job. I think we all feel that way. That includes everybody."

More Patriots

New England began installing a synthetic field surface yesterday to be used in time for their next home game Nov. 26 against Chicago. Heavy equipment scraped the grass and leveled the dirt beneath it in preparation for the installation of FieldTurf, which has become increasingly popular around the NFL. Gillette Stadium has had natural grass since it opened in 2002.

Raiders

Randy Moss says he avoids local media in an attempt to steer clear of controversy. But Monday Moss said something to raise Raiders coach Art Shell's ire when asked why he is dropping more passes than usual. "Maybe because I'm unhappy," Moss said. "Maybe because I'm not too much excited about what's going on, so my concentration and focus level tends to go down sometimes and I'm in a bad mood. All I can say is you put me in a good situation and make me a happy man, and you'll get good results."

"That's a problem that he has," Shell said. "You hate to see that, you hate to hear that. ... You're expected to play; you're paid to play."

Redskins

Any hope that Clinton Portis could return this season dimmed when the running back said he expected to be out twice as long as Washington originally announced and the team considered placing him on injured reserve, according to a source. Placing Portis on injured reserve would make him ineligible to play for the rest of the season.

Titans

Tennessee is requiring Albert Haynesworth to continue anger management counseling he started during a five-game NFL suspension for stomping the face of a Dallas opponent. Haynesworth worked out at the team's headquarters Monday, the first day he was eligible to return. But the Titans had a few more questions they wanted to review before letting Haynesworth rejoin the team at practice. They finally satisfied themselves and held a news conference yesterday afternoon detailing what coach Jeff Fisher called one of the most difficult situations the team has faced since he became coach.

Texans

Houston offensive lineman Fred Weary was shot with a Taser before being arrested after a traffic stop. Weary was pulled over at 1 p.m. about 6 miles from Reliant Stadium and transported to jail. He was being held at Houston's Central Jail, but had not yet been charged with a crime and no bond had been set.

Dolphins

Miami guard Jeno James is expected to miss at least one game after having surgery to remove torn cartilage in his right knee. James, in his seventh NFL season, was injured in Sunday's victory against Kansas City.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Testaverde signs on with New England

Sounds like Desperation to me!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

This would be the equivalent of the Steelers signing up O'Donnell or Tomczak.

If I were a New England fan I would find this news to be disturbing.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Im not sure what to make of it - maybe its a mentoring move to help Brady during game-time, but then Testeverde could be on the sideline without being on the roster.

Maybe Brady's continually injured shoulder is causing him some problems this year - he has made some very wild throws - both over thrown and under thrown.

I guess we'll see how this one pans out........

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Talk about a dinosaur! New England will probably make use him of somehow though, their coaching staff is not stupid.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Im not sure what to make of it - maybe its a mentoring move to help Brady during game-time, but then Testeverde could be on the sideline without being on the roster.

Maybe Brady's continually injured shoulder is causing him some problems this year - he has made some very wild throws - both over thrown and under thrown.

I guess we'll see how this one pans out........

NM
So what do you think LITP?...are they going to sit and rest Brady due to the ongoing injury?...Will they start Cassell or Vinny if that is the case...Im thinking that Vinny doesnt know the system and is just insurance more than anything else
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,618 Times in 2,864 Posts

it was just a matter of time before "the green testicle" returned.

i heard he was real good at drop kicking extra points and thats why he was brought in.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Good ol' Vinny can model that Patriots sweatsuit. Sounds familiar doesn't it...?
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,618 Times in 2,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
So what do you think LITP?...are they going to sit and rest Brady due to the ongoing injury?...Will they start Cassell or Vinny if that is the case...Im thinking that Vinny doesnt know the system and is just insurance more than anything else
it sounds like theure planning a trip to the meadowlands for their 1st playoff game and wanna pick his brain on the jets offense.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Well my opinion is that there is no way Brady will be benched - if there was a problem in terms of an injury I think they would have cut right back on the number of passes and leant on the running game a little more.

We have made quite a few roster moves in the last couple of weeks - rookie TE to IR, stand-in RG to IR - possibly this was always part of the plan - to get a genuine 3rd QB familiar with the offense should he be required in the post-season - after the other areas had ironed themselves out.

If Brady was injured, I think Cassel would be good to go if he had a weeks notice, but if it was a mid-game injury then you really need a vet to step in - which is where Testeverde comes in.

Brady, much like his team, has been up and down in terms of form this year - but you would hope things improve as he gets more familiar with his WR corps in the 2nd half of the season.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote