Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 340
Default Re: Ward seeks contract discussion

I was watching Sports Center today and they said that Hines Ward WILL NOT report to training camp without a deal. I am really surprised and dissapointed that the Steelers haven't signed him yet. They had Bill Cowher on FSN on Monday and he said that there was nothing bidg to say about Hines, they was still no contract. If Hines Ward does not get a contract, I will be extremely upset because Hines is a VERY important part of our offense, and he was a big part of our success last year and if we lose him, I really don't think we will be as successful as we were last year.

P.S. SIGN HINES WARD!!!!

~AllAmer~
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #12
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I read an article that said they are trying to sign Bryant McFadden, Trai Essex, and Hines Ward before training camp. I would hope to see him signed this week or a few days after training camp has started. If that will happen I'm really not sure.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #13
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Do we know how much he is asking?
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #14
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474

I haven't heard how much he's looking for.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #15
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 340

I heard that he wants what he thinks he is worth, which he says is about 10 million. I don't know if that is for each year, or for an extended amount of time. But I am thinking its 10 million a year. :o

~AllAmer!
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #16
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Hines is the kind of guy, or so we all think/thought, that if he does hold out for awhile, and he ends up seeing his team mates going into battle without him, I would think that would be enough to bring him around to atleast get in camp and get ready for the season. This is NOT a distraction we need right now with the potential we have for this year.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #17
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

interesting view on wards situation..from the front page of SF !

Quote:
From what I have read, Ward is looking to make roughly $25 million over the first 3 years of the deal. Is Ward a great receiver? No question. Is he worth over $8 million a year? Don't think so. If you want to disagree, think of it this way.

I have said numerous times, if Ward were 4 inches taller, everyone would be comparing everyone else to Ward. He is the best blocking WR in the game. Plays like a linebacker when there is an interception. He always makes plays when we need them. He also plays on an NFL team that runs the ball. A LOT!

Pittsburgh is known because they play smash-mouth football. Beat you up, kick you in the teeth defense, and then ram the ball down your throat on offense. We win because we control the clock. Run on 1st, run on 2nd, then run on 3rd, and if you're close, run on 4th.

If we pay Ward more than we offered him, that money is going to have to come from another position. Which one? QB? No chance. If there is going to be a player that gets a larger contract than Ward was offered, it is going to be Ben Roethlisberger in about 4 years. Money can't come from there. RB? Jerome Bettis is making next to nothing and Duce Staley is going to be our RB for at least another 3 years, sorry. TE? Not paying them that much, Heath Miller is just a rookie. It will have to come from the offensive line, which really can't afford to lose anyone else. Marvel Smith and Alan Faneca, no way, forget it. Jeff Hartings? Maybe, we do have Chukky Okobi waiting for Hartings to retire. To take away from an offensive line that has already lost 2 of last years starters, when you're a running team, that just can't happen. But even if they do have a solution for this year, what about next? You can not afford to pay someone that kind of money to only touch the ball 20% of the snaps.

I understand what the Steelers are doing. They are trying to copy the mold of the New England Patriots, and who can blame them? 3 out of the last 4 is hard to argue with. Ward needs to realize that he isn't going to get offered much more than he has been. Hopefully, Ward will pick the chance to compete for the Super Bowl for the next 5 years over the chance to collect a few more million dollars.

It is Ward decision. Hopefully, he will choose the black and gold over the green.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #18
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

let him sit out, 10 to 12 million for a possesion receiver is way too much. everyday he sits he losses money. let him sit out and he will be back by week six or eight, i forget which week they must return before they forfet the season but i think its eight. so he plays a half of season with us and the playoffs then we franchise his sorry but next and he still is not a free agent. that way in his greed he misses out on the real big money. the signing bonus. i believe everybody has a right to earn money, but to turn down the most lucrative contract offer in steeler history and then say its not enough spits in the face of everybody who has ever cheered for the steelers. it only backs what i have come to believe that in the modern era of sports that i am a fan of the steelers not plaxico, big ben, or hines ward - i am a fan of the black and gold - the pittsburgh steelers...
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #19
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Unless they make significant progress or reach a deal in principle, yeah he'll probably sit out for awhile. HInes is more thick skinned than people believe. But he also has a team concept at heart, and knows what his presence on the field means to this team. Not to mention Jerome's probable last year playing and if he wants to help him win a SB, u cant do that at home sitting on your couch watching the game over money.

He'll hold out for awhile, yah maybe so, but he'll come around.