Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Polamalu on Pittsburgh

Steelers' Polamalu Talks About Football, Life, Pittsburgh

POSTED: 4:41 pm EST November 14, 2006
UPDATED: 5:31 am EST November 15, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' Troy Polamalu is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against Cleveland after suffering a concussion in a win over the Saints, but that didn’t stop him from sitting down with WTAE Channel 4 Action News anchor Sally Wiggin.

Although Troy is questionable, there is nothing questionable about his passion for the game, his faith, his wife and learning.

Troy's devotion to his Christian faith is well known, and probably one of the reasons he is so popular. It is also a source of comfort and inspiration during the disappointing season, that has now gotten even more difficult for him, because of this injury.

"Whenever we face adversity, we are asking what is the reason," said Troy. "The beautiful thing and the hardest thing about it, is sometimes the answer is right in your face, and sometimes it will take years, even decades, to figure it out."

For Troy, that means practicing patience and practicing harder.

"There have been many times this season, more than I am too embarrassed to say, that the situation looked like somebody else made the mistake, and that is really embarrassing for me," said Troy. "Very embarrassing for them. But the very unique thing about this team is we don't have guys in the end zone saying, 'Hey. It's my fault.' I think that unselfishness is very valuable and very characteristic of this team."

Troy said he has been reading a lot, sometimes three books at once, and has studied such ancient religious philosophies as Taoism from China and Zen Buddhism from Japan.

"As an open-minded, loving Christian, there are seeds of truth in everything," said Troy. "Taoism. Buddhism. Islam. Judaism. Everywhere. Only is there 100 percent truth found in Christianity."

Troy and his wife, Theodora, have found Pittsburgh to be home, he said.

"It is always home to us," said Troy. "Truly. Truly home to us. It is a little more comfortable in the off-season, especially coming off a Super Bowl year, you know, so last off-season was really nice. When having a season like this year, you can get very angry fans, very angry teammates, angry everything, so obviously, it is a little different."

After this season, Troy will have only one year left on his contract, but he said he definitely wants to stay in the Burgh'.

"Yes I do, with all my heart," he said. "I do. Definitely."

"Pittsburgh is awesome," said Troy. "This country is built on the backs of the people of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was the model city in the history of the U.S. of blue collar. That is why my wife and I feel at home here, and that is why Pittsburgh people were very proud, and have to continue to be proud."

In the meantime, he has reaped the benefits of his national popularity, appearing in United Way spots for the NFL and the pinnacle of sports commercials, Nike. Troy said he didn't want to do the Nike spot, until his agent and his wife talked him into it.

"She doesn't force things on me," said Troy. "If it is that I have to get a Pennsylvania license because I have had a California license for three months, she'll take care of it herself, and I am just, 'Whatever.'"

And finally, when mentioning the hair, Troy said, it's all about growing it out and that it takes long, so he's keeping it.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...41/detail.html

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-17-2006 at 06:47 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Polamalu on Pittsburgh

Gotta love this guy. Thanks for the props Troy. Glad you enjoy our city.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Just when I don't think I could love the guy any more than I already do, he pleasantly surprises me all over again! Troy is the creme de la creme of what an athlete (and a Christian) should be. Great read, 83 - thanks!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

What a mighty man of God!! I can only hope the Rooneys see his value not only on the field but in the community!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

They damn well better see the value in Troy. I just purchased his home jersey this year for $300 bucks...lol. Oh yeah, and he's a damn good S who will only get better over time.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Great article. I am glad to hear Troy wants to stay. Awesome how he talked about the Burgh.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
They damn well better see the value in Troy. I just purchased his home jersey this year for $300 bucks...lol. Oh yeah, and he's a damn good S who will only get better over time.

300 bucks!....... you do realize that is around 4 Million Canadian Loonies eh?

83-Steelers-43 = Mr.Moneybags!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

What a stud. I believe what he says too. A lot of athletes say the right things to keep the media and fans off their back, but I really think Troy is speaking from his heart.

It's also cool to see him doing so well in a "small market" city. Many athletes want to play in the bigger cities so they get more attention, and a bigger piece of the media spotlight. Troy is just proof that if you are truly one of the best in the game, you will get your attention no matter where you play.

I doubt Troy hangs around this board with us, but if he does................THANK YOU!!

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Troy is a centerpiece kind of guy. He's the kind of leader, both football and civic, needed in Pittsburgh. He's only been here a few years and he already shows a tremendous amount of pride.

Plus I don't see him pulling any shady contract tricks. He's going to ask for what's fair and sign with us if we give it to him. Plus it doesn't hurt to have a USC guy telling all those USC guys how nice it is playing in the 'Burgh. It's one of those things that can help with free agents and with our beloved city's image.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

A true class act....gotta love that guy!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote