Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers Notebook: Winslow Jr. adds juice to Browns' pass attack

Steelers Notebook: Winslow Jr. adds juice to Browns' pass attack
Saturday, November 18, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two players whose careers were nearly ended by a motorcycle accident meet for the first time since each was a No. 1 pick in the 2004 draft.

One is having a Pro Bowl-type season and leads all NFL tight ends in catches and yards receiving. The other is trying to develop consistency in a season that has the feel of Super Bowl hangover.

Kellen Winslow Jr. and Ben Roethlisberger were separated by five picks in the NFL draft two years ago, and the Steelers are glad the Cleveland Browns opted to take the tight end from the University of Miami (Fla.) with the sixth overall selection.

That allowed the Steelers to select the quarterback who would take them to the Super Bowl with the 11th overall selection -- something on which they had not planned. The Browns passed on Roethlisberger because they had already signed former 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia to a big free-agent contract several months earlier.

After missing most of his rookie season with a broken leg and all last season with injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident, Winslow has positioned himself as a candidate for comeback player of the year, if not the Pro Bowl.

He leads all NFL tight ends with 56 catches and 561 yards, a pace that would make him the first tight end in franchise history to have 100 or more catches in a season.

"He looks like a receiver," said cornerback Deshea Townsend, who returned to practice yesterday and could play as the nickel back tomorrow when the Steelers and Browns meet in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

"Sometimes they'll split him out wide to get some matchups they want. Or they'll start him in motion and send him out wide to see what kind of matchup they can get, whether a linebacker or safety or cornerback. He's been able to make plays for their offense."

Polamalu good to go

Safety Troy Polamalu has not missed a day of practice since sustaining a concussion six days ago and pronounced himself ready to play against the Browns.

Polamalu said there was never a question in his mind he would play in Cleveland.

"Not even on Monday," Polamalu said. "I feel good. Actually, I feel worse and worse every time you guys ask the question. You make it a bigger deal than it is."

Hartings likely to return

Center Jeff Hartings (knee), who has missed the past two games, practiced again yesterday and is expected to play against the Browns.

Hartings is listed as questionable on the injury report.

Porter has "trash' standards

Outside linebacker Joey Porter likes to trash-talk with the best, but he is selective about which players he will, uh, debate.

Porter usually does not like to get into a war of words with players who he thinks don't deserve the attention. Like Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who did not play in Cleveland's 41-0 loss to the Steelers last season, but crowed that the Browns are "coming after" them.

"I'm not even going there," Porter said. "Those guys create some hype for themselves. If I fall into that and went to war with Braylon Edwards, he's going to win because he's going to get some publicity about it.

"And then he'd be almost forced into talking that he was into it with Joey Porter. So I'm not going to aid into that until he shows me something out there for me to worry about him."

A confidence booster

It has happened at least three times to the Steelers this season, including twice against the Cincinnati Bengals: The opponent needed only one play to score a touchdown after a turnover.

Finally, though, the Steelers reversed the trend against the New Orleans Saints. One play after Tyrone Carter and Larry Foote caused a fumble by Reggie Bush in the third quarter, Roethlisberger threw a 38-yard touchdown to Cedrick Wilson that made the score 24-24.

"It's a big confidence booster," Roethlisberger said. "There are a lot of little things that people don't think about during a game that can give you confidence or make you take it away a little bit, and that's a big one.

"When we can get a turnover and we can score on that first play, it really means a lot. It kind of gets you going. It turns the tide of the momentum."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06322/739415-66.stm
Old 11-17-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers Notebook: Winslow Jr. adds juice to Browns' pass attack

Steelers notebook

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Steelers figure to be as healthy as they have been all season when they visit the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. Rookie wide receiver Willie Reid, who is out with a foot sprain, is the only player who did not practice Friday at the team's South Side facility. Safety Troy Polamalu (concussion), center Jeff Hartings (knee), cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle), fullback Dan Kreider (hip) and linebacker James Harrison (ankle) have been upgraded from questionable to probable. Injuries have been an issue all season for the Steelers, with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, outside linebacker Joey Porter and Hartings, among others, missing at least one game. "I've never seen this many veteran guys, key players on our team, miss practice, miss games, and this year's it's been the case," said wide receiver Hines Ward, who was slowed early in the season with a hamstring problem. "We're just trying to find a way to battle and fight through it."

? Browns cornerback Leigh Bodden (ankle) has been downgraded from doubtful and won't play Sunday, while starting quarterback Charlie Frye (wrist) has been upgraded from questionable to probable. Starting running back Reuben Droughns (foot) didn't practice yesterday and remains questionable for the game.

? Steelers coach Bill Cowher played for Cleveland and later coached there as an assistant under Marty Schottenheimer. Not that his ties to the team get him a free pass when he returns to Cleveland. "I've been called traitor many times," Cowher said. He doesn't expect Sunday will be any different. The 3-6 Steelers have lost all four of their road games this season and have had trouble putting a finger on why they haven't played well away from Heinz Field. In that sense, the visit to Cleveland Browns Stadium could be just what the Steelers need. The fans that try to rattle opposing players may unwittingly motivate them. "Every time you go to the Dawg Pound, they'll be talking about your mama and everything. You feed off that," Ward said. "We get a kick out of going to Cleveland and facing the Dawg Pound." Cowher, who played for the Browns from 1980-82 and coached for Cleveland from 1985-88, said he doesn't take it personally when the fans that once cheered him jeer him. "I understand what that team means to that city," Cowher said.

Digits

7.6 - Willie Parker's average per carry on the way to 130 rushing yards in the Steelers' 41-0 win over the Browns last Dec. 24.

9.7 - Parker's average per carry on the way to 213 rushing yards in the Steelers' 38-31 win this past Sunday over the New Orleans Saints

8 - Sacks recorded by the Steelers in their last game against the Browns.

11 - Consecutive weeks that every NFL game has been sold out in advance of the local TV blackout deadline.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_480391.html
Old 11-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,651 Times in 4,009 Posts

Quote:
"I'm not even going there," Porter said. "Those guys create some hype for themselves. If I fall into that and went to war with Braylon Edwards, he's going to win because he's going to get some publicity about it.

"And then he'd be almost forced into talking that he was into it with Joey Porter. So I'm not going to aid into that until he shows me something out there for me to worry about him."
joey is diabolical! much more cunning than he is given credit for. the media would have you believe he will run off the mouth at anyone for the sake of hearing himself speak.

last week he spoke. the steelers listened. this week nothing needs to be said. the steelers ears are already wide open.

go get em joey!

tis the week to speak softly and carry a big stick.

and you know this maaaaaaaaan!
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I'll pay good money to see somebody.....anybody lay out Winslow Jr.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'll pay good money to see somebody.....anybody lay out Winslow Jr.
I can find 11 Players who can destroy him all day. It's our D.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote