Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Polamalu certain he'll play

Polamalu certain he'll play

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 18, 2006

Troy Polamalu said after practice Friday that there is no doubt he will play Sunday in Cleveland.
"Everything's as perfect as a newborn baby," he said.

If that seems like an odd way to proclaim he is 100 percent -- the Steelers All-Pro safety suffered a concussion in last week's game against the New Orleans Saints -- Polamalu said cutting-edge technology has, in fact, revealed that his brain is as healthy as that of a healthy newborn.

Apparently, Polamalu's future has hardly been placed in question by a series of concussions dating to high school.

"Although I've had a history (of concussions), my brain shows to be as if I had never had any at all," said Polamalu, who underwent a series of tests this week at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Dr. Joseph Maroon, a neurosurgeon who works for the Steelers, declined to comment on the testing.

Polamalu said pictures produced by separate MRIs allowed Maroon and other experts to examine nerves in his brain and brain stem, which controls motor functions.

"It's really amazing," Polamalu said. "You can see every little nerve ending that goes all the way to your brain stem and all the way down to your spinal cord. It's got 3-D, and all these different things."

Those pictures, and other tests he took at UPMC, showed he is fine, Polamalu said.

"As a matter of fact, they were going to take pictures on how a perfect brain looks and how a brain from somebody that suffers from concussions should look, and they said I was a candidate for the perfectly normal," Polamalu said.

Polamalu said he has had six football-related concussions. The one he suffered in last week's game was his first as a professional.

To his knowledge, Polamalu said, he and Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green are the only athletes to undergo the post-concussion testing that is still relatively new.

Green left the Chiefs' game against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 10 on a gurney after taking a nasty hit to the head. The blow knocked him out and left him with a severe concussion.

Green, who said he and his wife have visited UPMC several times since his injury, is expected to return to the Chiefs' starting lineup Sunday.

Polamalu suffered a concussion while tackling Saints running back Reggie Bush in the first quarter of the Steelers' 38-31 win.

The 5-10, 207-pounder stayed in the game, but coach Bill Cowher said he and his assistants suspected something was wrong when Polamalu lined up in the wrong spot.

He didn't return to the game after that series.

Polamalu said he never doubted that he would be able to play Sunday in the 1 p.m. game against the Browns.

He said testing near the beginning of last week showed he didn't have any swelling on the outside of the brain or any hemorrhaging.

Moreover, Polamalu said, he hasn't had any nausea or headaches -- two telltale symptoms of concussions -- this week.

He marveled at the technology that led to the results he got this week.

Polamalu said the clean bill of health he has received proves that amateur doctors should refrain from speculating on the effects concussions have had on an individual.

"I think that's just a cry out to people that really don't have any knowledge or really any business of making opinions on anything they don't have any foundation to discuss," Polamalu said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_480404.html
Old 11-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,953 Times in 4,536 Posts
Default Re: Polamalu certain he'll play

polamalu is a growm man playing a contact sport who definitely knows what he is doing and the risks involved (big ben too). if hes mediacally cleared to play then he should play. i wanna see him become a pro bowler and play as long as ronnie lott did. just as much as the next guy...but i wont say he shouldnt play even when he is cleared to play. if he were on 31 other teams he would be playing this weekend. why steelerfans think it would be any different just because hes a steeler baffles me.

as far as we know lott had 20+ concussions in his career (hell, he had part of a finger chopped off).

go get em troy! you dont make millions for nothing. you are the peyton manning of defense.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Give em hell Troy!!!!
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Exclamation Re: Polamalu certain he'll play

If Troy has been cleared and HE feels like he is ready then he should play. Who cares about the 20 or so concussions that Lott sustained? well.. I dont everyone is different and Troy's future after football is MORE important than any 1 game...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Well, if he's clear, he's clear. I guess this would be a good time to point out to anyone who feels like Troy should cut his hair, that his hair probably is a cushion for alot of the concussions he had, it's probably, at least, saving his head a few bumps and bruises.
Anyway, good luck to Troy and everyone tomorrow, the dog pound is going down, steeler style!

~Polamalufan43
Old 11-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I hope Troy doesn't play goofy like Ben did the week after his concussion. The words "goofy" and "Troy Polamalu" do not even belong in the same sentence!!!

Here we go, Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
blackngoldbaby
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1631

Im glad to see that troys ok! GO GET EM TROY!
blackngoldbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
lightningrod
Water Boy

Member Number: 3935

yeah TROY!

troy knows what hes doing. if you have ever met him, hes like, the nicest person ever. he should hopefully be as good as always
lightningrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Good to see Troy is READY!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

If he was my relative I'd have some real concerns about him playing this week. Just have to trust that he, his family, and the docs know what they're doing. We sure do need him. Go get em Troy!!!!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote