Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-18-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Thy days are done - Where now for Leftwich?

So, it appears that 'Lord' Byrons days are numbered in Jacksonville - what will his fate be?

There seems to a move across the league to go with QB's who have a little mobility, not necessarily breakaway speed, just a little burst to avoid the oncoming rush.

Garrard is clearly the better QB suited to making something out of a broken play, Leftwich being the more statuesque 'Bledsoe' type stand and deliver passer.

My first thought would be Oakland, where the Aaron Brooks experience hasnt really taken off, and Andrew Walter is labouring behind a sub-par offensive line.

Of course, for a team that extols the virtues of the deep pass they dont appear to be too successful at finding offensive linemen capable of protecting long enough to get the pass away.

I think Byron's ability to recover from injury would be fully utilised here.

The Redskins are a force to be reckoned with in any free agency interaction, I think time is running out for Brunell - its probably a case of how well Campbell does in the starter spot.

Any other thoughts on possible homes for Byron?

Does anyone think that Leftwich will still be a Jag this time next year?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: Thy days are done - Where now for Leftwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
So, it appears that 'Lord' Byrons days are numbered in Jacksonville - what will his fate be?

There seems to a move across the league to go with QB's who have a little mobility, not necessarily breakaway speed, just a little burst to avoid the oncoming rush.

Garrard is clearly the better QB suited to making something out of a broken play, Leftwich being the more statuesque 'Bledsoe' type stand and deliver passer.

My first thought would be Oakland, where the Aaron Brooks experience hasnt really taken off, and Andrew Walter is labouring behind a sub-par offensive line.

Of course, for a team that extols the virtues of the deep pass they dont appear to be too successful at finding offensive linemen capable of protecting long enough to get the pass away.

I think Byron's ability to recover from injury would be fully utilised here.

The Redskins are a force to be reckoned with in any free agency interaction, I think time is running out for Brunell - its probably a case of how well Campbell does in the starter spot.

Any other thoughts on possible homes for Byron?

Does anyone think that Leftwich will still be a Jag this time next year?

NM
Bite your tongue! We don't need him... although, I do admire his toughness.

I'm on the fence with this. We need to let Walter play and develope, but on the other hand, I would rather some other QB get killed untill the O line comes together. Brooks will do just fine as the whipping boy.
silver & black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

I'm on the fence with this. We need to let Walter play and develope, but on the other hand, I would rather some other QB get killed untill the O line comes together. Brooks will do just fine as the whipping boy.
What do you think of Walter being censured for his comments about the offense being run in such a simplistic fashion?

Its fair enough having rules - but they should apply to all.

Apparently its ok for Moss to question the playcalling.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
What do you think of Walter being censured for his comments about the offense being run in such a simplistic fashion?

Its fair enough having rules - but they should apply to all.

Apparently its ok for Moss to question the playcalling.

NM
Believe me, the favoritism hasn't gone unnoticed in the Nation. This seems to be a reccurring theme in the Shell regime. In his first tenure it was Allen who was benched. This time around it's Porter... and now Walter.

My opinion is: Walter is, for all intents and purposes, a rookie. He should keep his thoughts in house and not air them in public. Moss is a seasoned vet and team captain that gets paid VERY well... he should shut his mouth and go out lead by example. His actions are exactly why I wasn't thrilled when I learned that the Raiders signed him. Randy is all about Randy... not his team.

You would think that half way through the season the team should be coming together and showing some signs of progression. Unfortunately, we seem to be sinking farther into the quagmire of ineptitude.

There are rumors circling in the Nation that could prove very interesting if they were to come to fruition. I will discuss it when there is more concrete evidence that any of them are true.

Last edited by silver & black; 11-18-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Believe me, the favoritism hasn't gone unnoticed in the Nation. This seemes to be a reccurring theme in the Shell regime. In his first tenure it was Allen who was benched. This time around it's Porter... and now Walter.

My opinion is: Walter is, for all intents and purposes, a rookie. He should keep his thoughts in house and not air them in public. Moss is a seasoned vet and team captain that gets paid VERY well... he should shut his mouth and go out lead by example. His actions are exactly why I wasn't thrilled when I learned that the Raiders signed him. Randy is all about Randy... not his team.

You would think that half way through the season the team should be coming together and showing some signs of progression. Unfortunately, we seem to be sinking farther into the quagmire of ineptitude.

There are rumors circling in the Nation that could prove very interesting if they were to come to fruition. I will discuss it when there is more concrete evidence that any of them are true.
I agree on the leadership/vet subject - these are the guys the youngsters look to for guidance - to see what is acceptable and what isn't.

Maybe Walter was so bummed at being target practice for opposing LBers that he decided to get himself thrown off the team.

I look forward to hearing more about those rumors.

NM
Old 11-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

buffalo...losman sucks

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

He'll be a Jag next year. Gerrard may be more mobile but he isnt exactly lighting up the offense.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:

When does Brooks get off of the DL?

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
When does Brooks get off of the DL?
He has been cleared to play. I would expect to see him play Sunday... but who knows?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I might suggest play him but yet Walters If I remember right QB'd both of ur wins.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote