Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts
Default bruschi's cheap shot on farve

although i doubt it, farve could possibly miss his 1st game since 92 next weekend.

so its ok for a pat to hold him around the shins and ankles with both arms until bruschi comes in and way lays him, but its not ok for aaron smith to grab brees' shoelaces?

what gives?
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: bruschi's cheap shot on farve

It wasn't a cheap shot because Bruschi wrapped him up - he didnt clatter him with a leading shoulder or helmet and the play wasn't whistled dead before he made the tackle.

Peyton Manning made a crazy throw when he was being held by a Patriots defender a few weeks ago

Favre just landed awkwardly on his elbow/funny bone.

The 'incident' is about 1min 20 secs into the highlights on the nfl.com frontpage - there could have been a call on the low hit - the Patriots players was blocked downwards by the Greenbay lineman - hence the low hit.

No real consistency from referees is ...well..... consistent.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

On the issue of sacking QBs, Tasker claimed in the Browns game that Ben was not wrapped up on one play and escaped because a penalty would have been called if the lineman would have taken him down.

Anyone agree or disagree with that comment by Tasker?

Based on what I am seeing, there are going to be some calls on QB hits in the playoffs that are going to be game changers, which will prompt the NFL to go back to the drawing board, as it did after the Kimo/Palmer hit last year.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
On the issue of sacking QBs, Tasker claimed in the Browns game that Ben was not wrapped up on one play and escaped because a penalty would have been called if the lineman would have taken him down.

Anyone agree or disagree with that comment by Tasker?

Based on what I am seeing, there are going to be some calls on QB hits in the playoffs that are going to be game changers, which will prompt the NFL to go back to the drawing board, as it did after the Kimo/Palmer hit last year.
I can't comment on the specific play regarding Ben, but I agree with the general idea.

Offensive lineman will start to push attacking d-men down rather then away if it guarantees a penalty for a low hit.

A QB like Ben us very adept at making something out of broken plays, and there probably isnt a better QB (on last years form anyway) at slipping out of the grasp of opposing teams defenders.

If the player isnt all the way down, you put him down - that is the defenders only thought.

In the Indy v NE game Manning made one crazy play whilst being sacked and the commentators said that referees make a judgement call based upon how good the QB is at making those type of throws when deciding when to whistle the play dead.

What?

We have way too many grey (gray) areas in football as it is and referees have shown themselves unable to handle the black and white areas competently without adding more variables.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
tony hipchest
Supporter

they discussed this on sirius. when tackling a qb you are supposed to "cradle" them, or shift to the side to where your weight doesnt fall on the qb's body. i think taskers comments are correct. tacklers are becoming more and more aprehensive about toughing a qb. i still see tons of plays where a qb is grabbed by the shins or feet. aaron smith didnt even pull brees down. this is where im confused. it is definitely FUBAR.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
they discussed this on sirius. when tackling a qb you are supposed to "cradle" them, or shift to the side to where your weight doesnt fall on the qb's body. i think taskers comments are correct. tacklers are becoming more and more aprehensive about toughing a qb. i still see tons of plays where a qb is grabbed by the shins or feet. aaron smith didnt even pull brees down. this is where im confused. it is definitely FUBAR.
Did you see that hit Colvin put on Brad Johnson on the Vikes/Patriots game?

He hit him hard without leaving his feet - Brad Johnson took the hit and threw for a 3rd down conversion.

It didnt hurt the Patriots in that game, but it will hurt someone down the line.

Instead of 'cradling' why dont we just implement 'touch football' rules for QB's - if you lay a hand on them they are sacked.

Its Polians wet dream - the outlawing of the 'unfair' 3-4 Defense will be next.

NM
Old 11-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

i think they were saying the word cradle is now spelled out in the playbook too. the qb tackle is extinct as far as we have known it to be.

proper techniques now:

nothing above the shoulder
nothing below the thigh
dont lead with your shoulder
dont lead with your head
you must be looking at what you hit
cant leave your feet
you must wrap up
when falling you must cradle the qb
try to turn and bring the qb down on your body to cushion the blow
Old 11-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

If you ever have a chance to watch 70s highlights videos (I recall one Steelers video from the mid-70s where Steve Furness goes helmet to helmet with Ken Anderson after Anderson is already down and the Super Bowl X shot where Bradshaw gets a helmet to the chin while throwing a TD to Swann - of course no flag on either shot) and contrast it with today's rules it is just a different sport.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think they were saying the word cradle is now spelled out in the playbook too. the qb tackle is extinct as far as we have known it to be.

proper techniques now:

nothing above the shoulder
nothing below the thigh
dont lead with your shoulder
dont lead with your head
you must be looking at what you hit
cant leave your feet
you must wrap up
when falling you must cradle the qb
try to turn and bring the qb down on your body to cushion the blow
Every memeber of the D must now carry a hanky in order to dust off a QB's clothing should he get dirty from accidental contact with the floor.

Troy P. is excluded from this rule and will be allowed to use his hair.

NM
Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If you ever have a chance to watch 70s highlights videos (I recall one Steelers video from the mid-70s where Steve Furness goes helmet to helmet with Ken Anderson after Anderson is already down and the Super Bowl X shot where Bradshaw gets a helmet to the chin while throwing a TD to Swann - of course no flag on either shot) and contrast it with today's rules it is just a different sport.

Oh yeah, it was completely different. I remember the defensive end for the L.A. Rams, can't think of his name, picking a QB up and then slaming him down on his head. No flag.

I remember his name now. Jack Youngblood.

Last edited by hardwork; 11-20-2006 at 12:50 PM.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote