Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-21-2006, 04:01 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Santonio's wonderful weekend

Santonio's wonderful weekend

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Santonio Holmes watched with bated breath.

That didn't make the receiver different from any of the other players on the visiting sideline Sunday at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

For Holmes, an entire weekend hung in the balance -- along with Charlie Frye's final pass. When it fell to the ground, after giving the Steelers a scare, Holmes had every reason to celebrate.

Holmes' first NFL touchdown helped the Steelers overcome a 10-point, second-half deficit for a 24-20 win. And the previous day, he watched on TV as his alma mater, Ohio State, outlasted Michigan to advance to the BCS title game.

As weekends go, they don't get much better than the one Holmes experienced.

"It felt great to come back to Ohio and get my first touchdown and just play good for the team and make big plays," Holmes said.

He made two huge ones against a Browns team that controlled Sunday's AFC North game through the first three quarters.

With the Steelers trailing, 13-3, early in the fourth quarter, Holmes caught a 20-yard touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger. He had kept the drive alive earlier by making a 21-yard reception on third down, when the Steelers needed 20 yards to move the chains.

While overshadowed by Roethlisberger's heroics, Holmes caught four passes for 64 yards in the fourth quarter.

"I guess he was motivated by the Ohio State win," Roethlisberger said, with a laugh. "I think that will do wonders for his confidence."

Roethlisberger tried to get Holmes focused after Holmes dropped a first-quarter pass that would have given the Steelers a first down.

"I told him after he dropped that first one, 'Listen: I'm coming back to you, so be ready,' " said Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to scores on their final four possessions. "I'm never going to shy away from a guy that drops the ball, because they're my lifeline. I'm getting more confidence in him every week."

As well he should.

Holmes may be more associated with the balls he hasn't hung onto -- his fumble issues during kickoffs and punt returns have been well documented -- but he appears to be coming into his own as a receiver.

Holmes has 29 catches for 455 yards, and his 5.7 yards after-the-catch average leads the Steelers. The 25th overall pick of last April's draft is on pace to have one of the more productive seasons by a Steelers rookie receiver.

"I'm happy for him, because he's worked very hard," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "It's just good to see, because the quarterback starts developing some confidence in you."

Cowher has shown supreme confidence in Holmes, and he got rewarded for it with the plays the latter made in the fourth quarter against the Browns.

The clutch catches, the touchdown, Ohio State's win over Michigan -- none of that would have mattered had Browns receiver Braylon Edwards caught Frye's pass on the final play of the game. Edwards got his hands on the ball but couldn't hang on to it.

"I was scared, because I know what kind of player he is," Holmes said of Edwards, who starred at Michigan. "I was so excited that he dropped the ball. I was the first one on the field."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_480714.html
Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: Santonio's wonderful weekend

i was proud the4 way he played, we need more plays from him.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Good read 83, I'm really liking the trust that Santonio and Ben are building together.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,508 Times in 3,341 Posts

When I look back on the preseason concerns, I had Santonio at the top of the list.

With everything else that has gone wrong, I am glad to see him develop as a receiver.

Now let's hope Cowher quits trying to prove whatever point he is attempting to make by continuing to have Holmes return punts.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Now let's hope Cowher quits trying to prove whatever point he is attempting to make by continuing to have Holmes return punts.
If I didn't know any better Santonio returning the final kick should be construed as a failed attempt to scuttle the victory.

It really does seem like Cowher is extending "privileges" for Holmes more so than any rookie since...well, ever. Makes me wonder if the decision to take Santonio is the first round was anything but unanimous.

As far as we know the negligent procreation and felonious behavior are in the past. And that slick pivot move into the throw that Holmes is showing more and more is hopefully the future of many many YACs.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,131 Times in 576 Posts

If you know football, you can tell how good players are. I think Holmes will be a 1500 yard reciever in the up coming years. Ward, Hines and Miller will be a great triple threat and hopefully next year Willie reid can stay healthy and be our randle el in punt returns....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I wish Cowher would do two things:

1. Stop letting Holmes return punts and put Reid back there.Holmes was drafted to be our #2 reciever so how about letting him focus on just that?

2. Make Holmes the #2 guy.Wilson is too short and slow...Holmes speed must be respected which means less double coverage for Hines Ward.Not to mention Holmes can catch a short pass and take it a long way.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
MyCuz64Furness
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
i was proud the4 way he played, we need more plays from him.

I've been doubting him lately with his mistakes and ST screw ups.......but I have to say he earned a little respect from me Sunday
MyCuz64Furness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
dSharp
Water Boy

Member Number: 2302

Reid is injured.. has been since the Chargers game.
dSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

yeah.. I was one of the hardest people in our forrum on Holmes in the pre season and I hope that he continues to prove me wrong. He has all the talent to replace Wilson and it will come by the begginning of next season I'm Sure... I hope that Reid makes it back soon or that simply means that it was alot more severe than they hoped...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote