Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-21-2006, 04:18 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Madden vs Smizik Round 2

Fellow Pittsburgh residents will get a kick out of this..............

Smizik: Madden can't handle the truth
Tuesday, November 21, 2006

ESPN Radio 1250 talk-show host Mark Madden is a large man with a large audience and claims to have a large IQ. But the largest aspect of Madden is his ego. His ego is so large that whenever he loses a job, it's never his fault. His ego is so large that he actually believes one of the most important men in Pittsburgh cares what he says.

Madden was fired last week from his once-a-week job as a panelist on a WTAE-TV show, "Action Sports Sunday."

Rather than reflecting on what he might have done wrong, Madden immediately lashed out, not so much at WTAE, the employer that fired him, but at the Steelers in general and owner Dan Rooney in particular.

Madden claimed the Steelers orchestrated his firing because he was too critical of the team. Even before he began a long diatribe against the team, he took on Rooney, the widely respected and revered Steelers chairman and a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Madden suggested Rooney should do something that is too vulgar to be reprinted in this newspaper.

It should have been something too vulgar to be heard on the public airwaves, but Madden has made a career of such comments while his bosses at ESPN Radio 1250 look the other way.

What followed his comment about Rooney was a typical Madden rant, illogical, full of half-truths and worse. .

"I was told [the firing] was because I used the word 'jackass' during a broadcast," Madden said Thursday afternoon in the second segment of his 3-7 p.m. show. "That seemed a bit harsh. So I thought there's got to be more to it than that and, of course, there is. The Steelers complained to Channel 4 [WTAE] and said they wouldn't provide any interviews to Channel 4 -- no players, no nothing -- if I remained on the show."

WTAE news director Bob Longo, who terminated Madden, said, "That's laughable. No one or no organization dictates content to this station. Not the Steelers and certainly not a radio talk-show host."

What really happened was that WTAE was tiring of Madden's high-wire act. The station was never sure what he was going to say and that was a concern, particularly when the show aired live. He made his reputation on talk-radio with outrageous statements with little regard for the truth. That might work on ESPN Radio 1250 but it doesn't on local television. On the Nov. 5 show, Madden called cornerback Deshea Townsend "a jackass."

Madden was right on one point. The Steelers were angry. But not Rooney. He had no idea what Madden said, and Madden was flattering himself in the extreme if he thought as much. Madden's often savage attacks on the team were too much for some players. One player, possibly two, quietly let Jon Burton, WTAE's sports director, know they would be less-than-cooperative with the station that employed Madden.

That is their personal right. But to suggest WTAE would be barred from asking questions is not. According to NFL rules, which apply to the Steelers, accredited media, and that is WTAE, cannot be barred from media sessions. In other words, even if WTAE continued to employ Madden, its representatives could not be kept away from media sessions.

The Steelers said they never issued any type of threat to WTAE or so much as suggested access would be restricted.

Madden didn't stop with WTAE. He also went after the KDKA show, "Sports Showdown," which airs Sunday night.

"I talked to someone involved with Channel 2's [KDKA] show and they said, swear to God, 'Well, you know, we're only allowed to criticize the Steelers up to a certain point.' "

Madden didn't name his source. We talked to four people who regularly appear on that show: Ron Cook of the Post-Gazette, Joe Starkey of the Tribune-Review, Jon Steigerwald of KDKA-TV and Paul Alexander of FSN Pittsburgh.

All four said no one has ever tried to muzzle them on the show. To the contrary, they felt the show had been extremely tough on the Steelers.

Madden went on to say, "The Steelers are like the Mafia. The Steelers are like Pittsburgh's own version of the Kremlin. Don't even tell me it's run by good people. Don't even tell me the Steelers are run by good guys. Never tell me Mr. Rooney is anything more than another typically greedy control freak again. That's all he is."

In the 37 years I have covered sports for two Pittsburgh newspapers, no one from the Steelers ever has tried to tell me what to write or criticized me for what I did write. To the contrary, almost without exception, the Steelers have been extremely cooperative.

Toward the end, Madden topped himself as only he can.

"Not only is nothing I've said during this rambling and sometimes disjointed monologue untrue, none of it is even exaggerated."

Once again, Madden shows himself to be the man who will say anything, whether it's true or not.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06325/740029-194.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-21-2006 at 04:29 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Madden vs Smizik Round 2

Kudos to WTAE for getting rid of that ignorant, vile, fat POS. Mark Madden needs to look no farther than the mirror (if there is such a mirror large enough) to get a clue as to why he was given the heave ho. He's extremely rude to those who call in to talk sports - God forbid if you have an opinion that differs from his. I had the displeasure of being hung up on by him a few years back, so I called in the following week with a question and proceeded to rip into him - the first portion was aired - LOL! XT remembers this well and we still have a good laugh over it. What Madden said about the Rooneys is disgusting and nothing more than the blubbering of an immature child inside of the bodies of three men. Now take your blocks and go home, Mark.

I couldn't be happier!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

LOL, this is good. Anyone want to clue me in to what happened in Round 1?

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Never mind, I looked him up on the WIKI. He's a wrestler, ferchrissakes! No wonder. The Wiki on him is very unflattering...

"His radio persona is known for the blunt and often condescending treatment of his callers and borrows heavily from his previous wrestling performance experience... WTAE-TV dropped Madden as a freelance sports commentator. After being terminated Madden once again blamed a conspiracy of others for his problems."

"Despite doctors' warnings to radically change his life style, Madden's weight remains in excess of 400 pounds, making him the most obese sportscaster in Pittsburgh history." (Really? More than Bruce whatzizname from 20 years or so ago?)

"His nicknames include... "Flounder", "The Big Excuser", and "The Fat Guy Who Washes With A Rag On A Stick."

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

This explains it all...His sports passions are any kind of hockey and English Premier League soccer, 2005 European Cup/2006 FA Cup champions Liverpool F.C. in particular

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,793 Times in 2,677 Posts

Being in Atlanta, I only know of Madden through a column he wrote for the P-G for a while several years ago (which the P-G dropped) and his hosting of the ESPN Radio Sunday morning show for a while in 2004 (during which he was unlistenable prior to being let go).

Sounds like Madden is another blowhard that can fill up airtime on local sports talk but flops in any other forum
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Mark Madden is one of those people. You could care less if they left the face of the earth tomorrow.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Madden vs Savern back in 2005: www.post-gazette.com/pg/05032/450798.stm

"It's easy to sit in a studio and take shots and don't ever go anywhere. It's easy when you're not willing to show up and face the music as a man would do. It's easy to sit at home and stuff burritos into your mouth until you're about to explode. But to never go out and face the music means you're a coward." - Stan Savern
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Madden is a large man with a large audience and claims to have a large IQ. But the largest aspect of Madden is his ego.
Hmm...sounds just like John Madden.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

SMIZIK is tough but he tells it like it is... he replied to my email one day, and told me he was not a STEELERS,PIRATES, or PENGUINS fan.... he only roots for his former high school...
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote