Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Kramer (Michael Richards)

anybody see Kramer apologize on David Letterman last night? - This dude is just as mental as his Seinfeld character... what do you guys think? Is he done? - I'm thinking in our current political climate, he will be kicked out of the loop permanently - the only place he will be able to find a seat - is right next to Jimmy the Greek - he will be known more for this incident than his work on sitcoms...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Kramer (Michael Richards)

At first I thought it was a joke gone bad. Then Kramer lost it and started going off on a rant and repeating the "N" word over and over again. In my opinion, the guy is done and he did in fact cross the line. It went from comedy to a Robert C. Byrd after school special.

More reading and the actual film of Kramer going KKK: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12568
Old 11-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
At first I thought it was a joke gone bad. Then Kramer lost it and started going off on a rant and repeating the "N" word over and over again. In my opinion, the guy is done and he did in fact cross the line. It went from comedy to a Robert C. Byrd after school special.

More reading and the actual film of Kramer going KKK: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12568
The apology on Letterman was bizarre - he was shaking his hands all over the place and talking all loud - he reverted back to his Kramer character

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Drugs? Some type of narcotic would be my guess.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I heard Mel Gibson and Michael Richards were supposed to co-host a holiday special on the joys of celebrating Hanukkah and Kwanza in America.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

i originally thought he was either on drugs or was trying to pull an "Andy Kaufman" but after watching his interview im convinced its drugs. While his apology seemed sincere he still never explained WHY he did it or what he was possibly thinking.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

"I'm not a racist"... well, yes you are, Mike.

The first thing most of us white folks have to do is admit that WE ARE racists... but that we're working on it. It's not about hate; you don't have to hate other races. It's about attitude, and that's something we were given by our culture; we didn't pick it, it gave itself to us without us knowing so. We had no control over how we were formed. Break it up little by little. Fixing it takes your whole life.

If you're a white person who isn't a racist, I applaud your successful breaking of the chains. May we all do it someday.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
"I'm not a racist"... well, yes you are, Mike.

The first thing most of us white folks have to do is admit that WE ARE racists... but that we're working on it. It's not about hate; you don't have to hate other races. It's about attitude, and that's something we were given by our culture; we didn't pick it, it gave itself to us without us knowing so. We had no control over how we were formed. Break it up little by little. Fixing it takes your whole life.

If you're a white person who isn't a racist, I applaud your successful breaking of the chains. May we all do it someday.

Tom
Tom, while I understand what your saying, I somewhat differ from you in some areas. But I don't think this thread is the place to discuss that. I would love to have private conversation if you want though! (I have learned not to have these discussions in the open, because people jump in, read the last one or two posts, and start assuming. It ruins the conversation for those who are taking thier time and posting intelligently).

For Richards, he was wrong. Period.

As I posted before in a different thread, I think he was responding to being called "Cracker." If that is true, the original person was also guilty of racism. However, a racist action does NOT allow for a racist response, and thus, Richards was clearly wrong.

About the drugs? Doubt it. He has always been wierd.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

It's OK Preacher, I don't mind having the discussion in the open, because when I write something like that I'm usually BEGGING for a followup; I'll write it to help promote some thinking, sometimes to help me focus my thoughts and sometimes to provoke others to examine theirs.

What I mean when I say "racist" isn't hate; I don't hate blacks. What I mean is the way white people especially of my age (and Gibson's and Richards', I'm 52, Gibson is 50, Richards is 57) view the issue of race. It is seeing "race of man" as more important and defining than "man". If you were brought up that way (and blacks of our age were brought up that way as well; EVERYONE was), that worldview is almost impossible to change. It was imprinted on you through subtle signs, culturally. And it is what allows you to use race as an insult. You wouldn't think to use hair color as a hateful insult; blonde jokes notwithstanding, you don't categorize people according to hair color.

The modern issue of race in this country is irrevocably tied to slavery and cultural domination, and that is what gives it its onesidedness; it's why the audience can yell "cracker" but Richards can't yell back "******". In a larger sense "cracker" has no meaning as an insult to someone who is in a superior position socially... and if you don't agree that that particular social stratification is real, I refer you to Chris Rock's routine where he tells the white audience that none of them would trade places with him, and he's RICH. "Naw, I think I'll stick with this white thing a while, see where it takes me." But "******" carries the weight of oppression, slavery, and inhumanity in the sense of people as chattel.

So as a late-middle aged white male, what can I do? The first thing I can do is not congratulate myself for conquering racism; that misunderstands the word. The fact that I treat people of all races equally in the way I conduct my life is not the same as having changed a life-view that was imprinted on me from birth. It does allow others the dignity and respect that they deserve as fellow humans, but it does not change the fact that I am aware of doing it.

In order to kill my own racism, which I did not have a say in acquiring so I can't have any shame in admitting, I can only recognize it for what it is, conquer its appearances in my everyday life, and not pass it on to my children. If you are younger, then it is likely that your cultural influences are less pervasive than they were for me and my generation, and that your parents have already watered down their poison; and you in turn will do what you can to dilute it for your children. We can only hope so.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,215 Times in 2,675 Posts

moscas views support everything i have learned not only from my own experiences but 6 courses in sociaology and 1 in psychology.

this brings to mind the changes that our culture have undergone in just the past 30 years. im sure most over 30 remember the saturday night live skit with richard pryor going in for a job interview being conducted by chevy chase. "....DEAD CRACKER!" that was on national airwaves and was in the same tone as what richard michaels did in a club in front of several hundered people. noone could get away with that skit now.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote