Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274
Default There Is No Quit In Roethlisberger

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Watching the first half it looked like Ben Roethlisberger was going to have a disastrous day. He had completed just four passes for 36 yards and three interceptions, one which was returned for a touchdown, for an unheard of quarterback rating of 6.4.

"In the first half, our offense couldn't get going. It was my fault," said Roethlisberger. "The ball was just bouncing all over the place."

But, if there is one thing that many have learned about Roethlisberger, it's never to count him out. While some fans might have been calling for him to be benched at halftime, those who know what Roethlisberger can do had faith and stuck with him and it paid off.

Roethlisberger had an incredible fourth quarter, leading the Steelers on three scoring drives while running the no-huddle offense for much of the time, including two touchdown passes en route to a thrilling come-from-behind win over the Browns.

"The second half we came out and there was no quitting on offense or defense," said Roethlisberger. "I was really proud of how our offensive and defensive lines played today."

Roethlisberger finished the day completing 25 passes for 272 yards, while spreading the ball around to seven different receivers.

"I've got to give these receivers a lot of credit," he said. "They were getting tired running all over the field, and when I'm scrambling, they really don't know what's going on. They've got to be careful not to block in the back, there's a lot to remember in that situation. They're the ones making plays in that situation. I'm just running around throwing it."

One play that epitomized Roethlisberger's performance came on the Steelers last offensive play of the game. Roethlisberger was looking for Hines Ward on second down from the four-yard line, but when pressure came, he had to scramble and that's when he found Willie Parker.

"I was pretty much looking at Hines all the way as the go-to guy," said Roethlisberger. "I started to my left. I was going to run it. When I saw Willie, I thought I'd try it."

Roethlisberger tossed the shovel pass to him and Parker took it in for the score and the comeback was complete.

"He was a very determined young man," said Cowher of his quarterback, "We had some tipped balls that went the other way. I liked the way he kept playing."

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648
Default Re: There Is No Quit In Roethlisberger

I think it's safe to say you're a Big Ben fan, huh?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
steelfan 92
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2630

i love ben, he is playing through tough times, but he needs to know when to throw the ball away and when to just take a sack and avoid throwing into double and triple coverage. hey sometimes a punt is not so bad, but throwing a pick six to the other team hurts.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

No offense to Miss Varley's article, but let's hope there isn't any quit in the guy. He's our franchise QB and he's getting paid as such. I'm loving his play on the field (the TD to Holme's was the Ben of old), but I'm not going to sit here and praise the guy for not quitting...lol. Doesn't that sound just a tad bit crazy?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-21-2006 at 05:19 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

As a pro athlete, its ashame that you have to notice the ones that don`t quit. Number one they all get paid to NOT quit. But some just don`t appreciate what they have. I feel very fortunate to have Big Ben, Hines, Troy and all the other men that we have
Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks View Post
As a pro athlete, its ashame that you have to notice the ones that don`t quit. Number one they all get paid to NOT quit. But some just don`t appreciate what they have. I feel very fortunate to have Big Ben, Hines, Troy and all the other men that we have
I agree CS. There are many athletes who give up and quit and it's pathetic. I also feel the Steelers are fortunate to have name's such as Ben, Hines and Troy.

At the same time, I'll be more than happy to praise their play, but have we hit a time in sports where we start praising athletes for simply not quitting? Not me. I'll praise nice throws, grabs and runs but I'm not going to give a grown man a cookie for not quitting. That should be expected and automatic.

Fans pay damn good money on team gear, season tickets, plane and hotel fares (for those who come to town) in order to watch these grown men play a sport. It's one thing if somebody expects a 16-0 record year after year. That's crazy. It's another thing to expect your team to give it all and to not quit. Just my opinion.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-21-2006 at 05:41 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I agree CS. There are many athletes who give up and quit and it's pathetic. I also feel the Steelers are fortunate to have name's such as Ben, Hines and Troy.

At the same time, I'll be more than happy to praise their play, but have we hit a time in sports where we start praising athletes for simply not quitting? Not me. I'll praise nice throws, grabs and runs but I'm not going to give a grown man a cookie for not quitting. That should be expected and automatic.

Fans pay damn good money on team gear, season tickets, plane and hotel fares (for those who come to town) in order to watch these grown men play a sport. It's one thing if somebody expects a 16-0 record year after year. That's crazy. It's another thing to expect your team to give it all and to not quit. Just my opinion.
Amen my Steelers brother, Amen
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

83, can I have a cookie?
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

I wonder how contagious Troy and Hines determination is? How could you as a Steelers defensive player, ever give when you see Troy going full go every play every second.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

I hope your a Steelers fan, not just a Ben fan. Other than that, I can safely say that Ben does make bad decisions, but I really trust him most of the time when he has to be clutch.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote