Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-22-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers Notebook: 11/22/06

Steelers Notebook: Retro sideline look doesn't suit Cowher
Wednesday, November 22, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A suit does not suit Bill Cowher's style on the sideline, so the Steelers' coach won't join a small but renewed trend of wearing the coaches' throwback uniform on game days.

Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio was the second NFL coach to dress up in a suit and tie over the weekend while he walked the sideline for the Monday night game against the New York Giants. San Francisco's Mike Nolan wore one Sunday.

"Not me," Cowher said yesterday. "I don't even wear one to church."

Del Rio and Nolan recently received permission from the league to wear their suits, designed by NFL outfitter Reebok, for two games this season. Nolan asked the NFL shortly after he was hired in 2005 if he could wear a suit to honor his father, Dick Nolan, who wore them when he coached the 49ers from 1968-75. The NFL turned him down because suits were not official NFL apparel, which coaches are required to wear during games.

That changed when Reebok came up with a design this year. Cowher won't be among those making requests to change what he wears.

"I'm not a trendsetter with fashion statements," Cowher said. "I just wear what they put in my locker. It really doesn't matter to me. If it's cold I'll put layers on. I'm not looking into the process. I'm not interested, with all due respect."

When it was mentioned by a reporter at his news conference yesterday that Del Rio, like Cowher a former NFL linebacker, looked out of place wearing his dark suit Monday, Cowher smiled and said softly, "You said that."

Injury updates

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not on the injury report this week, but his top receiver is listed as questionable.

Hines Ward's knee was injured in the fourth quarter Sunday, although he finished the game.

"All the preliminary tests were done," Cowher said. "He basically has a hyperextension of his knee. We'll see how he progresses as the week goes on."

Roethlisberger came to the sideline at the two-minute warning in the fourth quarter clutching his right shoulder after he was shoved to the ground. Cowher asked him if he could still throw, he said he could and he completed three more passes, including one for the winning touchdown.

Wide receiver Willie Reid, who missed the past six games with a sprained foot, is listed as doubtful this week, the first time there was any glimmer of hope he could play since the injury Oct. 8 in San Diego.

"He is getting better, but it's been a very slow process," Cowher said.

Halfback Najeh Davenport also is listed as questionable with a groin injury.

Four players are probable: Center Jeff Hartings (knee), cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle) and linebackers Clark Haggans (thigh) and James Harrison (ankle).

Ravin' about Ravens

The Steelers visit the Baltimore Ravens, who are 8-2 and lead the AFC North Division but sounded like the 1985 Bears when Cowher spoke of them.

"We have to play better than we have these last two weeks if we are going to compete against Baltimore. This is one of the premier teams in the AFC.

"They have no weaknesses. They're solid from top to bottom. They're playing with a lot of confidence. They're playing very well. We're going to have to play at a very high level and play our best game to even have a chance to compete with this team. They're playing that good."

Holmes making his mark

Santonio Holmes, whose 29 receptions lead all rookies in the AFC, is a candidate for the NFL rookie of the week award.

Holmes caught his first NFL touchdown Sunday and is second to Ward among the Steelers' receivers. He plays behind Cedrick Wilson at split end and has replaced him once every three series.

"He's embraced the role he has right now," Cowher said. "I think he's getting comfortable. Ben's getting comfortable with him. I just like the mix we have. Ced has done a great job. Hines and Nate Washington -- those are four pretty solid receivers for us. I'm comfortable with where we are, and we'll see how the game unfolds."

Painful punishment

The Steelers were runaway choices as "the team that is the most painful and punishing to play against" in a poll conducted by Sports Illustrated of 361 players who were in NFL training camps this summer.

That means, of course, they were polled after the Steelers won the Super Bowl and before they won only two games in the first half of this season.

The Steelers received 31 percent of the small sampling of players. Their opponents Sunday, the Baltimore Ravens, were second with 11 percent. Six of the top eight teams are from the AFC. The information is in this week's issue of the magazine.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06326/740382-66.stm
Old 11-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers Notebook: 11/22/06

Steelers notebook

By The Tribune-Review
Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Reserve running back Najeh Davenport (groin) is questionable for Sunday, while wide receiver Willie Reid (foot) is doubtful. Reid has missed the Steelers last six games, and Cowher said, "He is getting better, but it is a very slow process." Center Jeff Hartings (knee), cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle), and outside linebackers Clark Haggans (quad) and James Harrison (ankle) are probable.

? If Davenport is unable to play against the Ravens, Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Ike Taylor would likely take the reserve running back's spot on kickoff returns. Davenport and Sean Morey have been returning kicks for the Steelers, and Cowher said he didn't anticipate making a change unless one is necessitated by an injury. Morey had a 76-yard kickoff return against the Browns, and Davenport returned a kickoff 40 yards a week earlier against the Saints.

"That is the only phase of (special teams) that I feel that we've made progress," Cowher said. "We've gotten nothing out of our punt return."

? The no-huddle offense the Steelers went to in the Cleveland game may have served as a catalyst in their fourth-quarter rally. But Cowher said Steelers fans shouldn't get used to seeing it on a regular basis.

"We'll try to use it as a chance of pace," Cowher said. "It's nice to know that it's something you can use at some point. It's not something we want to live by. We're not the Indianapolis Colts."

? As it turns out, Braylon Edwards wouldn't have given the Browns a win had he come up with a catch at the end of the game. Edwards got his hands on last-gasp pass thrown in the end zone. Cowher said the catch wouldn't have counted even had the second-year wide receiver hung onto the ball because he had stepped out of bounds earlier in the play.

"Once you step out of bounds," Cowher said, "you are an ineligible receiver."

Digits

1 - Ravens' NFL rank in turnover ratio.

9 - More turnovers than takeaways the Steelers have had this season.

12 - More takeaways than turnovers the Ravens have had this season.

30 - Steelers' rank in turnover ratio, which is tied for last in the NFL.

- By Scott Brown

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_480881.html
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Good, I don't want Cowher in a a suit.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
Good, I don't want Cowher in a a suit.
After seeing some of those sweaters he wears.........I'll take anything.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I tell you what, that suit Nolan was wearing was sharp as hell, a really nice fit. I'm not a suit guy but I wouldn't mind looking like that on a formal occasion.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

I dont know. If Hank Stram could wear a suit then anybody can. Wouldnt "the Chin" look good in one of those short-sleeved white shirts with a dark tie. Stomping around on the sidelines ala Lombardi ??
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
ncoolong
Water Boy

Member Number: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
I dont know. If Hank Stram could wear a suit then anybody can. Wouldnt "the Chin" look good in one of those short-sleeved white shirts with a dark tie. Stomping around on the sidelines ala Lombardi ??

He'd look like a manager at Primantis
ncoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Bill looked quite dashing at the Espy's last summer.........

"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Bill looked quite dashing at the Espy's last summer.........

I'm more of a guy who would wear a suit at the ESPY's not on the sidelines unless forced to.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote