Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188
Default Re: Bill Cowher may be back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Which NC do you think he is going to? NC just hired Butch Davis, and NC State already has a young coach. And he wouldn't make the money he is making now as a HC in College.
Just to add fuel to the fire, Florida State just fired their OC, Jeff Bowden, son of head coach Bobby Bowden. I could see Bobby retiring after this dismal season. FSU would certainly go after its last two successful OCs, Marc Richt (Georgia) and Chuck Amato (NC state). It would take alot more money to get Richt, they would probably have to settle on Amato, leaving the NC State coaching spot vacant. Didn't Cowher attend NC State?

Of course this is just all speculation from me.

Blah!

Last edited by touchdownward; 11-22-2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: left out word
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
CJ#85
Banned

Member Number: 2943

Touchdownward, that was the college that I heard he was going to. I know someone who lives down there who said there was some media speculation (it may mean nothing) that he would take the job at NC State where he is an alum. I was kind of puzzled why he would want to leave pro to go to college, but he obviously has enough money where a "pay cut" wouldn't really hurt him. He could live with his family in a warmer climate. It's also more relaxing coaching college. It's not "big time" exactly like OSU or UM. Plus, he would also be fully in control of recruiting without having to listen to someone higher up.

Maybe he feels he needs a change. I have heard that the average NFL coach gets burned out after 10 years. He certainly did a good job with the Steelers for the most part. He led you to the Super Bowl. He has a ring, and it seems to make sense he would leave and go down to North Carolina with his family.
CJ#85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
ncoolong
Water Boy

Member Number: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ#85 View Post
Touchdownward, that was the college that I heard he was going to. I know someone who lives down there who said there was some media speculation (it may mean nothing) that he would take the job at NC State where he is an alum. I was kind of puzzled why he would want to leave pro to go to college, but he obviously has enough money where a "pay cut" wouldn't really hurt him. He could live with his family in a warmer climate. It's also more relaxing coaching college. It's not "big time" exactly like OSU or UM. Plus, he would also be fully in control of recruiting without having to listen to someone higher up.

Maybe he feels he needs a change. I have heard that the average NFL coach gets burned out after 10 years. He certainly did a good job with the Steelers for the most part. He led you to the Super Bowl. He has a ring, and it seems to make sense he would leave and go down to North Carolina with his family.
NC State is in the ACC, ya know...while it isn't Ohio State or Michigan, it is still big time college football. The pressures exist just as much there as they do at the pro level. Coaches who have been successful at both levels say there is constant pressure at both levels. But if there is pressure on Cowher to repeat as Super Bowl champions, I would think the pressure to carry a Super Bowl ring back to his alma mater in an effort to take a team buried in basketball country to national contention would be twice as bad.

At the end of the year, if he wants to stay, he will. If he doesn't, he won't. He's given this organization 15 incredible seasons, and the highlight of my sporting life. If he wants to spend time with his wife and enjoy the fruits of his labor, then so be it. If he wants to bring this team back to the playoffs next year, I have nothing but faith he can do it. Either way, he will go down as one of the best coaches of his era, and he has earned the right to decide - with complete respect from Steelers fans - what he wants to do with his life.
ncoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoolong View Post
NC State is in the ACC, ya know...while it isn't Ohio State or Michigan, it is still big time college football. The pressures exist just as much there as they do at the pro level. Coaches who have been successful at both levels say there is constant pressure at both levels. But if there is pressure on Cowher to repeat as Super Bowl champions, I would think the pressure to carry a Super Bowl ring back to his alma mater in an effort to take a team buried in basketball country to national contention would be twice as bad.

At the end of the year, if he wants to stay, he will. If he doesn't, he won't. He's given this organization 15 incredible seasons, and the highlight of my sporting life. If he wants to spend time with his wife and enjoy the fruits of his labor, then so be it. If he wants to bring this team back to the playoffs next year, I have nothing but faith he can do it. Either way, he will go down as one of the best coaches of his era, and he has earned the right to decide - with complete respect from Steelers fans - what he wants to do with his life.
I agree. However, I am worried that he really doesn't have the desire to coach now, and wonder why he continued this year.

Even with that thought, I agree that he will go down as one of the best coaches of his era, and has my complete respect.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:27 AM   #15
PirateSteeler
Banned

Member Number: 3364

Even if he doesnt want to retire, we should not bring him back no matter what. No excuses for this year.
PirateSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote