Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-23-2006, 06:01 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers Notebook: Steelers, Ravens thrive on hatred

Steelers Notebook: Steelers, Ravens thrive on hatred
Thursday, November 23, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sunday won't be a game between two teams that just don't like each other. Hate is more like it when the Steelers and Baltimore Ravens get together twice annually.

"The coaches hate each other, the players hate each other," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said, almost gleefully.

"There's no calling each other after the game and inviting each other out to dinner. But the feeling's mutual: They don't like us, and we don't like them. There's no need to hide it, they know it, and we know it. It's going to be one of those black and blue games."

Ward said Baltimore is the only team in the NFL he hates. Not even Cincinnati evokes such a strong emotion. "No, I like those guys," Ward said.

Ravens coach Brian Billick thinks Ward went too far to describe the rivalry.

"Hatred is a little strong," Billick said. "I think there is a huge amount of respect that I have alluded to many times. As heated as this game gets -- and it gets heated -- two seconds after it is over and once the players come together, watch them interact with one another.

"I think hate is a little strong of a word, but it is a pretty strong emotion from the kickoff to the last down."

The chairmen of the emotional boards have been linebackers Joey Porter of the Steelers and Ray Lewis of the Ravens. It reached a pinnacle in the 2003 opener at Heinz Field, even though Porter did not play after he was shot in the rear end the previous week. Lewis mocked Porter's famous boot after making a play in a 34-15 Steelers victory. Porter was so incensed he tried to call Lewis off the Ravens' bus afterward.

The two have made up.

"Whatever happens out there happens, but afterward I have no problem with him," Porter said. "We buried the hatchet awhile back. On game day, I don't know what might happen."

Lewis missed the past two games with a back injury and is listed as questionable for the Sunday game against the Steelers.

"I know he had that planned, to sit out so he would be ready for this one," Porter said. "If there's one game you want to be back for, you want to be back for this rivalry game because it's always a close game and it means a lot when us two hook up."

Ward feels better

Ward said he won't try to practice until tomorrow, but that he felt good yesterday. He's listed as questionable with a hyperextended knee.

"I'm walking, so that's better."

Ward was injured when Cleveland Browns safety Sean Jones fell on him after he caught a 21-yard pass on the Steelers' winning touchdown drive in Cleveland. He finished the game, then was helped off the field and into the locker room.

"Adrenaline," he explained. "Just a will to keep going, keep fighting."

He has that kind of will, he said, to play Sunday. Ward has missed just one game in his career, last year because of a hamstring injury.

"It's Baltimore, man. I'm going to do whatever it takes."

Running back Najeh Davenport (groin, questionable) and cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle, probable) also did not practice. Wide receiver Willie Reid (foot, doubtful) practiced a little for the first time since his injury Oct. 8.

Lots of significance

The Ravens (8-2) can virtually eliminate the Steelers (4-6) from playoff contention with a victory, and the visitors know that.

"No question," Porter said. "So it's a desperate game for us, it's a must-win, a have-to-have game. Guys know it's a state of emergency."

Honor for Holmes

Santonio Holmes won the NFL rookie of the week award after catching five passes for 75 yards and his first pro touchdown against the Browns Sunday. He leads all AFC rookies with 29 receptions. Fans vote for the award online.

Late-breaking statistics

Backup defensive end Travis Kirschke earned his third sack and second forced fumble yesterday from the league statisticians at Elias. The stats crew in Cleveland ruled it a team sack and gave the forced fumble to no one on what was an obvious play by Kirschke, who stripped the ball from quarterback Charlie Frye.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06327/740767-66.stm
Old 11-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Steelers Notebook: Steelers, Ravens thrive on hatred

Steelers notebook

By The Tribune-Review
Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Ravens have made the most interceptions in the NFL, and that has gotten the attention of the quarterback that statistically is the most mistake-prone in the league.
"An incomplete pass might be the best play we've got this week," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "It's not going to hurt you to throw an incompletion."

Roethlisberger has, well passed at times on that concept. He has thrown 17 interceptions, including three in this past week's 24-20 win over the Browns. Two of those interceptions were the product of unfortunate bounces or opportunistic defense, and Steelers coach Bill Cowher said he is pleased with the improvement Roethlisberger has made in his decision making. He'll have to reign himself in to a degree Sunday as the Ravens' secondary torments quarterbacks that make poor decisions.

"He's going to have to be careful this week because they have some good ball hawks," Cowher said, "and Ed Reed is a guy that if (a quarterback) stares someone down, he will get there before the ball gets there."

? Reed, the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2004, is one of the best safeties in the NFL. In fact, Sunday's 1 p.m. game in Baltimore may feature the top two safeties in the NFL.

"He's their version of Troy Polamalu," Roethlisberger said "He's always flying around, and he's a good hitter, too, and he's got hands too."

? Ray Lewis is listed as questionable for Sunday, but Steelers outside linebacker Joey Porter expects him to play in the 1 p.m. game. Lewis, the Ravens' middle linebacker, has missed Baltimore's last two games with a bad back.

"If there's one you want to be back for it's this rivalry game," Porter said.

Lewis and Porter are the emotional leaders of their respective defenses, and after the 2003 season opener at Heinz Field, they nearly had a confrontation even though Porter didn't play in the game. Porter said the two are on good terms, except for part of two days a year.

"Afterwards," Porter said of Steelers-Ravens games, "I have no problem with him."

? Wide receiver Willie Reid (foot) is doubtful for the game, while running back Najeh Davenport (groin) is listed as questionable along with wide receiver Hines Ward (knee). Center Jeff Hartings (knee), cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle) and outside linebackers Clark Haggans (quad) and James Harrison (ankle) are probable. Along with Lewis, Ravens guard Keydrick Vincent (thigh) and Daniel Wilcox (thigh) are questionable for the game. Reed (knee) and linebacker Adalius Thomas (ankle) are probable.

Digits

1 - Games in which the Ravens have allowed a 100-yard rusher

6 - Total points allowed by the Ravens in the third quarter

22.8 - Average points allowed by the Ravens in four games that preceded this past Sunday's 24-10 win over the Falcons.

110 - Games that Steelers have won (out of 141) under Bill Cowher when they score at least 20 points.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_481072.html
Old 11-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

I can't wait for this game!! I am going to be pumped!
Old 11-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
The chairmen of the emotional boards have been linebackers Joey Porter of the Steelers and Ray Lewis of the Ravens. It reached a pinnacle in the 2003 opener at Heinz Field, even though Porter did not play after he was shot in the rear end the previous week. Lewis mocked Porter's famous boot after making a play in a 34-15 Steelers victory. Porter was so incensed he tried to call Lewis off the Ravens' bus afterward.

The two have made up.

"Whatever happens out there happens, but afterward I have no problem with him," Porter said. "We buried the hatchet awhile back. On game day, I don't know what might happen."
porter is still awaiting surgery to remove fragments of the hatchet from his back.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote