Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default browns, edwards ripping teammates??

Edwards chooses to 'protect players'
By: Jeff Schudel, JSchudel@News-Herald.com
11/23/2006
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Browns notes

It is rare when a player rips a teammate, but then again few players are like Browns receiver Braylon Edwards.
On Wednesday, Edwards was asked how a receiver reacts to seeing another receiver creamed the way Browns safety Brian Russell smashed Chad Johnson shoulder to chin with 2:07 to play in the game between the Browns and Bengals Sept. 17 in Cincinnati. The hit left Johnson with a gash in his chin. He suffered a concussion and later said he couldn't remember what route to take to drive home.
The question was asked because the Browns play the Bengals Sunday at Cleveland Browns Stadium.
"That's bull (expletive)," Edwards said. "Obviously, I won't say anything to Brian because he didn't hit me. Chad's on the opposite team, and I'm not taking up for that guy, but if you look at the nature of the game, they always complain when we put our hands on them or cut block.
"You have a play like that, Chad Johnson clearly wasn't catching that pass. Leigh Bodden already intercepted it and Brian just leveled him. You see it time and time again. (Bengals receiver T.J.) Houshmandzadeh had one against (safety) Terrence Kiel in the San Diego game.
"It's a rough game. We choose to play it. It comes with the territory, but at the same time, protect the players. We're trying to do the same thing those guys are. We're trying to win games. I don't see the need for those two plays. I really don't."
Johnson was asked about the hit during a conference call Wednesday and did not want to talk about it because "it was a long time ago."
Three days after the play, on Sept. 20 as the Bengals were getting ready to play the Steelers, Johnson said Russell did nothing wrong.
"I didn't have a problem with it," Johnson said at the time. "If I was in his shoes, if I were him and he was me, I would have taken the shot, too.
"Like I said, he has a great story to tell his grandkids: 'I was never able to stop him, but I did get the chance to knock him out.' "
Russell did not brag about the hit Wednesday or at any time. Like Johnson, he said it happened "a long time ago."
Russell spoke before Edwards did, so reporters did not have a chance to ask Russell for a reaction.
"We have to make some plays this week," Russell said. "I'm going to try to hit anybody I can if it's a clean shot. It would be great if they're thinking about it because you want them to drop passes."
Johnson has not dropped passes lately. He totaled 450 yards in receiving against San Diego and New Orleans in the last two games and leads the NFL with 932 yards receiving.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: browns, edwards ripping teammates??

Man, I can see trhe MELTDOWN in Cleveland already. They've made their beds in 3-13.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
BlacknGold76
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3810

This wouldn't be an issue if the clowns had a better record. Since they do not let the finger pointing begin.
BlacknGold76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

umm.. i fail to see how braylon is complaining about brian russell here... from what i can gather, he's talking about the fruitlessness of that particular play... why, when you're already up 34-10, would you have you're #1 receiver run a route into double coverage up the middle? protect the players, there's no need to run that play. i believe that's the context in which braylon was addressing the issue.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dawg View Post
umm.. i fail to see how braylon is complaining about brian russell here... from what i can gather, he's talking about the fruitlessness of that particular play... why, when you're already up 34-10, would you have you're #1 receiver run a route into double coverage up the middle? protect the players, there's no need to run that play. i believe that's the context in which braylon was addressing the issue.

He's definitely insinuating that the hit Brian Russell made was unnecessary. That's why he compares it to the hit Terrence Kiel had on T.J. and clearly states that "Leigh Bodden already intercepted it and Brian just leveled him."
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Sooner of later a Brown lineman will confront this "kid" and have a nice little talk with him.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dawg View Post

Well here in cleveland they are ripping him on the news, and newspapers. The point being that he was one of the first guys off the bench to congrat Russel, then 6 weeks later he rips on him, whats the point. He not the one covering cj all day listening to him run his mouth.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Can you blame the guy? I'd hate my teamates if I were on the Browns too.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
Can you blame the guy? I'd hate my teamates if I were on the Browns too.
Slowly but surely.... Your turning into a steeler's fan. Least your thinking like us now!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

NFL Notebook: Browns WR says comments on teammate's hit were off base
Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Associated Press

The Cleveland Browns spent the holiday resolving their family differences.

Wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who on Wednesday questioned safety Brian Russell's jolting hit to Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson earlier this season, expressed regret yesterday over his comments.

"The bottom line is you never want to have an article like that, that big, especially on Thanksgiving," Edwards said. "I didn't know it was going to be that big of a deal. ... Things like that divide from within and that's something we don't want to do."

Russell's hit knocked off Johnson's helmet and split the receiver's chin near the end of the Browns' 34-17 loss on Sept. 17. Russell, who was not penalized, said he talked to Edwards about his comments, but wouldn't say whether the receiver apologized.

"That's team stuff," Russell said. "It's behind us. The biggest thing is, we're all trying to get a win."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06329/741153-66.stm