Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 AM   #11
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer

Let's hope that ESPN news comes tomorrow or the next day lol.

Last edited by Prosdo; 07-28-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I got some voodoo dolls I have dressed up as Hines Ward and Richard Seymour - I have placed a miniature sized pen in both of these players hands and I am repeatedly waggling their pen-holding arms up and down in front of the 'contract' in a sort of 'name-signing' motion....

Seriously, where is Ward gonna go? I know the whole situation makes you nervous but its just a game of 'chicken' played by teams and their star-players during the off-season.
Neither side wants to look like they are 'easy meat' when it comes to contract negotiations, so there will be a bit of bluster- neither are rookies, so as someone mentioned before, they will be familiar with the playbook.

Keep the faith

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #13
steelersgirl86
Starter

Member Number: 331

Wow, how depressing. This is not what we needed to hear. I really hope he is true to his word and they come to an agreement sooooooon.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

I personally think that Ward has too much character to "hold out"

You and I saw a man cry his eyes out because he and his teammates did not win the title game. He showed so much heart. And not only then he showed heart ever since he has been on the team.

I refuse to believe that he

1) will hold out
2) not accept being a Steeler

That makes no sense, not in the Hines Ward you and I both know.

If he does want more, etc then he fooled lotsa people. He should be paid more but also his ability to play for how many more years should be kept in mind. If he doesn't accept another offer the Steelers make him (which i doubt) then we should get rid of him. I really do not see this superiorly (is that a word) nice guy turning into a jerk, after all, that is what TO is for.

Hanging in for Hines,
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #15
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I got some voodoo dolls I have dressed up as Hines Ward and Richard Seymour - I have placed a miniature sized pen in both of these players hands and I am repeatedly waggling their pen-holding arms up and down in front of the 'contract' in a sort of 'name-signing' motion....

NM
I thought I was the only one with voodoo dolls. LOL. I can understand us trying first to make him the highest paid Steeler first, but I would be a little upset if we stopped there and didn't put him into the highest paid WR. I guess it comes down to the secure money and signing bonus. He wants a little bit more than so far offered.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #16
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

That is a damn good offer by the Steelers, not to mention fair, also. Hines might be asking a little to much. He is great, BUT, at what price is it?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
Prosdo
Banned

Nice Living. Keep doing that till they sign. lol I don't think Hines wants to go anywhere else and well I don't think the Steelers want him going anywhere else. I would hope this deal is done before camp, but if not then, then the first week of camp. I also can't really see Hines sitting out of camp. I don't know just doesn't seem like him.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #18
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I was listening to ESPN radio today, and they had one of their NFL guys on there talking about hold-outs. After they went over T.O., Walker, and a few others....the host said "lets talk about two other, more serious hold-out situations".....it was Ward and Seymour. The expert said Ward is more likely to hold-out, it could get ugly, and it could ruin his career and legacy. He mentioned that the Steelers offered a nice contract and he didn't take it, and if he played for another team he would likely not be as successfull..... like many FA's that left Pittsburgh. He also mentioned he must stay in Pittsburgh because he is like an icon there and the fans love him. If he could play with Ben for some more years we may be talkling Hall of Fame.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #19
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I hope Ward doesn't hold-out :o All we can do is hope they come to an agreement soon...I ws hoping it would be done by training camp...but time is growing very short!!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #20
Prosdo
Banned

Hines Ward: Won't go to Steelers camp without extension
Thursday, July 28, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward said today he will not report to Steelers training camp Sunday night unless he and the team come to an agreement on a contract extension by then.

The Steelers wide receiver, who has one year left on a contract he signed in 2001, also said he's prepared to sit out the entire season if there's no new contract for him.

"I just want my fair market value, that's all I can ask for,'' Ward said this afternoon before an autograph appearance at the Sprint PCS Store at the Waterfront complex in Homestead.

"I'm not asking to break the bank or anything. I just want compensated. Last year you [the Steelers] told me to wait, which is understandable; I had two years left on my deal and I went about it. I reported to everything you wanted me to do; I've done everything you asked me to do.

"You said you want to make me first priority, now here it is a couple days from training camp and we're still negotiating. But I think everything will work out; there's nothing personal, it's a business."

Ward said he will remain in town at least for the next few days in case a contract agreement is reached. However, the four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver acknowledged there has been little progress and, in fact, the two sides have barely talked over the past month.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05209/545259.stm

It looks like they really ticked him off. Let's get this done. I kinda feel like the ball was dropped since the the talks seemed to stall before. Sad to see this article. I hope they have this done by Friday or Saturday.