Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #21
steelparrot
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 437
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
Hines Ward: Won't go to Steelers camp without extension
Thursday, July 28, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward said today he will not report to Steelers training camp Sunday night unless he and the team come to an agreement on a contract extension by then.

The Steelers wide receiver, who has one year left on a contract he signed in 2001, also said he's prepared to sit out the entire season if there's no new contract for him.

"I just want my fair market value, that's all I can ask for,'' Ward said this afternoon before an autograph appearance at the Sprint PCS Store at the Waterfront complex in Homestead.

"I'm not asking to break the bank or anything. I just want compensated. Last year you [the Steelers] told me to wait, which is understandable; I had two years left on my deal and I went about it. I reported to everything you wanted me to do; I've done everything you asked me to do.

"You said you want to make me first priority, now here it is a couple days from training camp and we're still negotiating. But I think everything will work out; there's nothing personal, it's a business."

Ward said he will remain in town at least for the next few days in case a contract agreement is reached. However, the four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver acknowledged there has been little progress and, in fact, the two sides have barely talked over the past month.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05209/545259.stm

It looks like they really ticked him off. Let's get this done. I kinda feel like the ball was dropped since the the talks seemed to stall before. Sad to see this article. I hope they have this done by Friday or Saturday.
wow.....this is really bad

i didnt really pay much atention to this up until a week or so ago. I just figured we would get a new contract in place, especially when dealing with hines, but i guess i was wrong
Old 07-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #22
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I beleive he was offered , Fair Market Value. Come on already, this is what you call breaking the bank, and hand cuffing the Steelers. This is what seperates Hines Ward from others, so I thought. He may be no different , just plays harder. For that kind of money, we could sign two damn good receivers. Not liking his at all. I want him to stay, but his is losing some respect.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #23
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

With the latest news of Hines saying he will hold out I was curious how people feel towards him?

For me I still like him. I think he is a great player with a lot of heart. The Steelers said he was the number one priority, but to be honest why wasn't this deal finished a while ago then. I understand watching the cap and everything. But this is very down to the wire.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #24
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

The Steelers will sign Ward. Plax is gone, two new receivers (Gibson, Wilson) and one is a rookie, a rookie TE, and we heve yet to see how Randel El will do as a starter. He is the top gun in the receiving corps. To not sign him would put us a year or two away from the Super Bowl. With him the could go all the way this year while mentoring the others. If anyone ever deserved the money as a Steeler, Ward does.
SteelerFanInATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #25
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I agree Cleve, 49 mil and 9 mil signing bounus is fair. He wants Moss and Harrison money. What is the difference between 49 mill and 59 mil.....you and your kids, and your grand kids are set for life. I don't get it....I would think players would take 49 mil, to ensure that the Front Office can spend the other 10 mil to surround them with some talant, and be a contender year in and year out. A 60 million dollar contract can cripple a team.

I have lost some respect for Ward....
Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #26
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 340

I was watching the news and they were talking to Hines. And Hines himself said that for a fact he will not go to training camp until a deal is done. He said he wants somewhere around 10 million with signing bonuses. The Steelers better get their priorities straight and sign Ward. Because he is such a big part of our team. Not only is he a great athlete, but hes a great teamate, (unlike Plax). Without Ward, we're gonna suffer. The Steelers had 6 MONTHS to sign him, yet they wait until the very last minute and its so aggravating!

~AllAmer~
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #27
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I agree...I still love Ward but have lost a little respect for him. I really hope it doesn't end up in a hold-out, because he will lose a lot of respect from the fans, players, and the organization as a whole. I don't know...if this doesn't get worked out soon, it may not be pretty!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #28
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
I was watching the news and they were talking to Hines. And Hines himself said that for a fact he will not go to training camp until a deal is done. He said he wants somewhere around 10 million with signing bonuses. The Steelers better get their priorities straight and sign Ward. Because he is such a big part of our team. Not only is he a great athlete, but hes a great teamate, (unlike Plax). Without Ward, we're gonna suffer. The Steelers had 6 MONTHS to sign him, yet they wait until the very last minute and its so aggravating!

~AllAmer~
I agree I think that's my biggest gripe about this whole thing. From everything I have seen it looks like there was little negotiating going on. If Hines Ward was infact the number one priority why was there such little talk. I do think Hines and the Steelers will come to an agreement on the contract extension whether Hines takes the current offer or the Steelers offer another one. When? I have no clue. I would like to see it done before camp, but that is seeming less and less likely. I would like to see this settled soon.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #29
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I beleive he was offered , Fair Market Value. Come on already, this is what you call breaking the bank, and hand cuffing the Steelers. This is what seperates Hines Ward from others, so I thought. He may be no different , just plays harder. For that kind of money, we could sign two damn good receivers. Not liking his at all. I want him to stay, but his is losing some respect.
You guys have gotten him for cheap long enough, you have to agree it is time to pay this man he is a damn good reciever and I highly doubt you can find 2 guys that could take his place.
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #30
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I agree, its time he's compensated for the 4 consecutive 1000 yd seasons, for the 4 pro bowls, for being a leader on the team. I agree he needs to be compensated and its well deserved. I do believe that this deal will get done, and if he does indeed hold out of camp, it wont be much longer after camp starts that he ends up reporting 1 way or the other.

He's right, it is a business, and he's respected around the league for being one of the best, he's been the consumate pro and team player his whole career. but if 49 million doesnt do it for you, then man oh man, what's it gonna take !!! :o
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote