Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-30-2005, 11:50 PM   #51
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer - Threatens to sit out entire season

Wait for Ward may begin today
By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Hines Ward Watch begins in earnest today, as Steelers players are scheduled to report for training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe no later than 6 p.m.

Ward, the team's four-time Pro Bowl receiver, announced Thursday that he would hold out of these workouts unless he's given a contract extension to his liking. The Steelers offered to make him the highest paid player in team history, but Ward's agents, Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes, did not accept.

Ward's representatives counter-offered, according to Ward, but to no avail.

The 29-year-old Ward, who is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $1,668,750 this season, could be fined as much as $6,000 for every day of training camp he misses.

He has threatened to sit out the entire season, which might work against him because he'd remain the property of the Steelers for 2006 and lose out on an opportunity to test the free-agent market.

Linebacker Mike Merriweather was the most recent player to boycott a season in 1988. The Steelers did not agree to his demands and traded him to Minnesota the following year.

Historically, the Steelers refuse to negotiate extensions if a player fails to show up for camp. Ward, who is seeking significant guaranteed money (likely more than $8 million), ranked 37th among NFL receivers last season based on salary cap value.

"I don't think that's fair," Ward said.

Ward's numbers over the past four seasons rank among the top wideouts in the league. He was instrumental in helping the Steelers finish 15-1 last season and reach the AFC Championship game.

With or without Ward, the Steelers will congregate at St. Vincent today, as the set off on a 25-day regimen. They open the exhibition season Aug. 15 against Philadelphia at Heinz Field.

Link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_358835.html
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #52
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer - Threatens to sit out entire season

Damn prosdo, ur on the ball girl..Ive been posting up all these articles on the front page of the site like I do every nite, and I come back in here and u've got em all up in the forums already! Gotta love a chick that bleeds black n gold, great stuff girl thanks for posting it all up !

Now onto the bad news..
Quote:
Ward's representatives counter-offered, according to Ward, but to no avail.
That really sucks right there.. I wonder how far off they were in numbers?
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:07 AM   #53
Prosdo
Banned

lol I enjoy finding Steelers articles and posting them up. Got to keep up to date on the team. You are right it does suck. I wonder what the numbers on the counter offer were. Hmmm....
Old 07-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #54
Prosdo
Banned

I am watching the Savran on Sportsbeat Training Camp edition Dulac thinks it will probably be another week with Ward. Two maybe. I think he is right. I don't see this thing lasting long.

I'll add this here. Don't want to have the last three posts in a thread.

Steelers | Ward Doesn't Show Up
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:23:50 -0700

WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh reports Pittsburgh Steelers WR Hines Ward did not report to the Steelers for the 6 p.m. ET training camp deadline Sunday, July 31.

Link: http://www.kffl.com/player/1546/NFL

Last edited by Prosdo; 07-31-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:16 PM   #55
Prosdo
Banned

Colbert on Ward Holdout
By Jim Wexell
Date: Jul 31, 2005

The Steelers' director of football operations, as per routine, checks in with the media after the 6 p.m. deadline for players to report to training camp. Colbert didn't have any good news for Steelers fans on the Hines Ward front.

KEVIN COLBERT

Everybody is accounted for except for Hines Ward. Obviously we've been in contract discussions with Hines and his representatives for an extension and unfortunately we weren't able to come to an agreement and he has chosen not to be here at this time.
We've had discussions as late as today, and we've had discussions periodically really since February and this is where it is.

Any progress today?
Obviously not. I mean, the player's not here and until you have an agreement I don't think there's significant progress.

Will you fine him?
That's a decision for the coach.

What does the organization think about this?
Well, the organization is disappointed but this is a situation where you understand that Hines Ward is a special player and always has been. He has two very good representatives that we have good relationships with. It's just that sometimes these things, there's going to be a disagreement and unfortunately that's where it is at this point.

Will you talk while he's not here?
It's always been the policy of this organization that there will be no negotiations while a player who is under contract is not in camp.

Will that be adhered to?
Yes.

The next move is up to them?
Again the policy has always been if a player's under contract, he has to be in camp for any kind of negotiations to go forward.

Rest of the article: http://steelers.scout.com/2/417422.html
Old 07-31-2005, 09:17 PM   #56
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

It be nice to here H. Ward state what kind of contract he's looking for. I mean why is his demand so secretive. Just say I'm looking for 12 singing bonsus and 4-5 yrs with guarnteed 4-5 million a year. I don't think that would halt negotations, do you?
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:21 PM   #57
Prosdo
Banned

I agree. I would like to see some numbers. What Ward wants or what exactly the Steelers offered.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:07 PM   #58
steelparrot
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
I agree. I would like to see some numbers. What Ward wants or what exactly the Steelers offered.
yep that would defintly help me form a better opinion about this whole situation.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #59
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Yep its official. No Hines.. that's just FREEKIN SPECTACULAR!!! ugh !!!!! This really blows !!! So basically we are at a stale mate..either he shows up to camp, or nothing more will come of it. I hope Hines gets his ass in there so they can atleast continue to talk. They've 2 months till the season starts to hammer this out, but every day he doesnt show up is one less day to get this fixed.

Damnit this blows!!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:37 PM   #60
Prosdo
Banned

I agree Blitz. I think he will end up showing. I mean he says he wants to stay here and if the talks won't move forward I got to believe he will show up within a week or two. Hopefully much sooner.