Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #71
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer - Threatens to sit out entire season

So give him the 10 mill in a bonus, prorate it over a 6 or 7 year deal, and then u can give him lower yearly salaries to compensate for it. it happens all the time in the NFL and in Pittsburgh. Whats the problem here then :(
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #72
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer - Threatens to sit out entire season

I don't know how true the 10 million signing bonus number is, but I would think it would be true coming from them. I don't think they would post it if it wasn't. The way people were talking it sounded like he wanted 12 or 13 million. Granted 10 million is no little chunk of change, but still I think Ward deserves 10 million.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #73
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Stalemate

It is at a stalemate right now, the Steelers wont negoiate while a player who is under contract is holding out of camp. so until one of them budges, which will mostlikely have to be ward, there's not much else to do but hurry up and wait.

gonna merge this thread w/ the big ward thread now..
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #74
Prosdo
Banned

I agree Blitz. Ward has to show up. I am hoping he does by Friday. I want to see this guy working out with the team.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #75
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

I think the Steelers have to do something. Hines Ward has been a class act. This "stalemate" will only make the owner and management look bad.

Last edited by Rush58; 08-01-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #76
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicofBigBen
I think the Steelers have to do something. Hines Ward has been class act. This "stalemate" will only make the owner and management look bad.

I agree totaly. Ward has been everything the Steelers want a player to be. Management could have it worse, they could be dealing with T.O. or Moss.......

They need to give Ward the money, he is the heart and sole of this team right now!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #77
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

H. Ward should of had a new contract before the draft. But also H. Ward has to be pro-active in these negotations. To me if re-negotating was such a big deal then he would of made a point to talk to the FO earlier. I just feel there was a lot of procrastinating going on with this whole thing. Hopefully he's not a stubborn man and listens to reasons and reports.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #78
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

My own 2 cents is that a deal will be done within 2 weeks.
The main reason that players hold out in this situation is to try and get the public opinion behind them - they hope that pressure on the management and owners will lead to a much improved offer.

As I have asked before...what are Ward's real options?

Sitting out for the season? I doubt this will happen as he wont have may better shots at a ring than this year.

Being Traded? Who is going to come in for him?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this trading option?

Are there any teams with enough left in the kitty to get Hines on their roster?

Regards

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #79
Prosdo
Banned

I agree with you Living. I don't think this will last long. Two weeks tops. In my opinion I don't like the idea of trading Ward. He is a good fit for the Steelers.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:18 AM   #80
Prosdo
Banned

Cowher: No calls to Ward this summer
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Newcomer Cedrick Wilson will take Hines Ward's place in the lineup as the Steelers entered Day 2 of the Pro Bowl receiver's holdout with no word of any progress in negotiations.

While the Steelers ended negotiations for a contract extension after Ward did not report to training camp Sunday, Ward's agent said he is ready to talk if the Steelers change their mind.

"We haven't closed any doors," Eugene Parker said. "They may have, but we haven't."

Parker said no talks have taken place since Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, announced Sunday evening that the team policy forbade holding talks with any player under contract who did not report as required to training camp.

And yesterday, coach Bill Cowher weighed in on the topic for the first time.

"It's unfortunate that it has come to this," Cowher said yesterday after putting his team through running drills at St. Vincent College in Latrobe. "We're hopeful that he'll get here sometime in the near future but we're going to move on with or without him."

Wilson, the only unrestricted free agent signed by the team, will take Ward's spot at flanker. Antwaan Randle El will open at split end, a job held by Plaxico Burress before he fled in free agency. The two receivers were supposed to compete for Burress' old role.

"All you can do is deal with the circumstances, as this football team has done," Cowher said. "It happens, that's why you have 53 guys. This is an unfortunate circumstance but we have to be prepared to move on and we will."

The Steelers could fine Ward up to $6,000 daily but Cowher declined to say if they would. Cowher traditionally is reluctant to fine his players for any reason.

"Hopefully, this thing will rectify itself but we're going to move on," Cowher said. "We're going to proceed forward with the players who are here."

While Wilson and Randle El will start at receiver until Ward returns, one of them likely will move to the slot when they use three receivers, and Lee Mays then would likely play on the outside.

Cowher declined to predict how long Ward's absence would last.

"I've been in this business a long time and like I said it's unfortunate it got to this point, but I'm very hopeful he'll be joining us as we prepare for a big year."

Cowher also has not talked to Ward recently but would not preclude a conversation.

"I take all phone calls. I have an open-door policy."

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05214/547328.stm