Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Ward seeks contract discussion

Ward seeks contract discussion
Tuesday, July 26, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With talks for a new contract going nowhere, Hines Ward plans to pay a visit to the Steelers' offices this week to discuss his situation with his coaches and possibly management.

Agent Eugene Parker declined to say yesterday whether Ward would report to training camp with the rest of his teammates Sunday night at St. Vincent College in Latrobe. Parker would not discuss the negotiations between himself and the Steelers on a contract extension for Ward, who is signed through the 2005 season. The Steelers also declined comment.

Ward planned to boycott the start of training camp a year ago to protest his contract situation, but changed his mind after coach Bill Cowher placed a phone call to him a day before camp opened. Ward will earn a salary of $1,668,750 this season -- the same as '04 -- on a contract he signed before the 2001 season.

Ward has made the past four Pro Bowls -- more than any Steelers receiver in history -- and he eclipsed the Steelers previous record of 85 receptions in a season three times. Yet his salary cap value of $2,171,950 last season ranked 37th among the NFL's wide receivers.

Ward, 29, does not necessarily want to be the highest-paid receiver in the game but wants to be among them, according to a source close to him.

Randy Moss led the parade of wide receivers last season with a salary cap value of $8,882,727, with Marvin Harrison second at just over $8 million. Only three other receivers topped the $7 million salary cap list in 2004 -- Isaac Bruce, Eric Moulds and Terrell Owens.

After Ward made waves about his relatively low pay last year, Steelers president Art Rooney publicly promised to make him a priority in 2005.

"We said he'd be our priority and that's still the case," Rooney said at the NFL meetings in March. "In terms of signings, I would expect that should be our big signing."

Yet five days before players report to camp, not only is there no contract, there has been little progress. Roosevelt Barnes, Parker's associate, spoke with the Steelers yesterday about Ward, the first time in about a month any talks took place at all between them. No progress was reported. Barnes also represents Steelers draft picks in the second and third rounds, Bryant McFadden and Trai Essex, both still unsigned.

The Steelers have not had a player under contract boycott camp in the past decade. Last year, Plaxico Burress skipped a mandatory May minicamp and all of the team's voluntary spring workouts but reported to training camp on time. He turned down an offer from the team last summer and signed with the Giants as a free agent this year after the Steelers made no contract offer after the season ended.

Steelers players have signed contract negotiations during camp and, at times, right up to the start of the season. The Steelers have a stated policy that they will not negotiate contract extensions once the regular season begins unless the sides are close enough that a deal is imminent.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05207/543680.stm

Let's get Ward under contract. I don't want to see him wearing any other jersey, but a black and gold one. I'm curious to what the delay is and why there is so little progress with his contract.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #2
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474
Default Re: Ward seeks contract discussion

He is an IMPORTANT part of the offense. You would think that the Steelers would want to settle a long term contact with him. Quick before someone else starts making offers he can't refuse.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
"We said he'd be our priority and that's still the case," Rooney said at the NFL meetings in March. "In terms of signings, I would expect that should be our big signing."
So they still plan on working this deal and getting it done asap according to that statement...remember they still have 6 weeks of training camp and preseason yet, so its not like if it doesnt get done tomorrow, there's no hope or anything.

Quote:
Agent Eugene Parker declined to say yesterday whether Ward would report to training camp with the rest of his teammates Sunday night at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.
He'll be in camp, I'd be totally floored if he sat out part of camp. Parker is trying to push the issue and raise alittle bit of a ruckus by not saying whether he'll be there or not. He's not dumb nor is the Steelers front office.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

I would think that also pitt. I thought this deal would be done before training camp, but it is not looking that way.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

They want to play it smart, they know they were dangerously close to the cap last year, so they have to be smart about it. Its a chess match, who will give in first..but Ward knows he has the upper hand alittle bit because of what he means to the Ben, the team itself, the city etc.

The last thing u want to do is take away a 2nd year QB's 2 biggest weapons all at one time. the steelers know this, and they'll get it done in the end.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:21 AM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

At least Mr.Rooney still feels like this is priority No.1.

But if he cosidered holding out last year. I wouldn`t put it past him this year. I beleive like everyone else, that Hines is a team player. But like we always hear, this is a business.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
Steel Fury
Water Boy

Member Number: 487

maybe now with miller taken care of we will see some quick work and get ward taken care of.

I can't imagine camp without ward.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

I am hoping the same Steel. Maybe their just waiting to get all the draft picks signed. Not sure.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
steelersgirl86
Starter

Member Number: 331

I agree with all of you...I just wish they would get it done already.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #10
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Not to worried. If it was a rookie then he would be missing something. But Ward knows the playbook and such so he actually could show up a week later and not have a big impact. Heck, Jerome usually doesn't strat suiting up and playing until end of August.