Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Big Ben on Sunday Conversation

I just saw Ben on ESPN's Sunday Coversation.....what a professional. What owner or Front Office wouldn't be proud to have him representing your team. He always says the right things and seemed very humble. I hear a lot of people talk like he is cocky and arrogant. I think their has to be a certain degree of confidence and a strong presense for most NFL QB's and any good leader, and Ben has that.....but he always says the right things and will be the first to give all the credit to his teammates. I am glad he is a Steeler. Nice pick Cowhaa!

She asked him about his success his rookie year and he said he was so blessed to be on this team. A team with a great "D", a strong running game, and great veteran leadership like Hines, Bettis, Faneca. They talked about him getting thrown in the fire in week 2, and she asked if their was a turning point where things started to come together. He said after the Cowboys game things started to open up, and teammates started rallying around him. He said he was just steering the ship......it was already moving, he just told it where to go. He said the AFCCG was the low point, and a shot back down to reallity. He acknowleged that after a season like that, the fans expect a Superbowl.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Big Ben on Sunday Conversation

Its great to have a young QB who has shown so many good things in his rookie season. I just wonder how long he has got before he will be branded a failure for not winning a SB.
After going 15-1 last year - a step backwards in the regular season is almost inevitable.
Just out of interest - how many years would you give Ben and the rest of the this Steelers unit to win a SB?

A step back in the progress of the team is frustrating for fans - but there is not a great deal of scope for the Steelers to improve this year and the next...short of appearing in and winning a SB.

ITS ALMOST SHOW-TIME!

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Ben has been a classy guy since he came on the scene with the Steelers. He is right we are expecting a Super Bowl after coming so close. I would love for it to be this year. This may be Bettis's last year and the Super Bowl is in his hometown. There would be no better way to send Jerome out than that.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Ben isn't "cocky" or "arrogant".He's a real class act,just like he was in Miami (Oh).Fans of other teams are just jealous.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I just wonder how long he has got before he will be branded a failure for not winning a SB. Just out of interest - how many years would you give Ben and the rest of the this Steelers unit to win a SB?
NM
To the first, only 19 more games, then he can be labeled Super Bowl MVP!
To the second, not sure if I understand the whole thing. As a fan, I expect my team to win the Super Bowl every year. As a team, I'd say they are on average one that runs 5-6 good years then 2 years on the downside(based on past results). So I'd say Ben has about 3 years left with this roster(mind you it could change based on roster changes). Then the math kicks in saying Ben might only play for 10-12 more years(if all good) so thats only two more great runs(5-6 yrs) in his career. So I guess I'd say Ben will have about 2-3 really great opportunities(you'd pick them as favorites) to get a SB. Either way I'd still back them Super Bowl or not.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
To the first, only 19 more games, then he can be labeled Super Bowl MVP!
To the second, not sure if I understand the whole thing. As a fan, I expect my team to win the Super Bowl every year. As a team, I'd say they are on average one that runs 5-6 good years then 2 years on the downside(based on past results). So I'd say Ben has about 3 years left with this roster(mind you it could change based on roster changes). Then the math kicks in saying Ben might only play for 10-12 more years(if all good) so thats only two more great runs(5-6 yrs) in his career. So I guess I'd say Ben will have about 2-3 really great opportunities(you'd pick them as favorites) to get a SB. Either way I'd still back them Super Bowl or not.
I was just thinking that expectations can be a bad thing sometimes. There are certain teams who expect year in year out to make the playoffs at a minimum (these days I am thinking Colts, Steelers, Eagles) and others who under-achieve just about every year in recent history (Cardinals, Bengals,Detroit).
If Ben was at the Cardinals then he would have alot less pressure, but then again, he would have a much weaker supporting cast.
It was just something I was pondering - because even when Tom Brady joined the Pats we were still a pretty hopeless franchise. Ben is under more pressure to succeed early - funnily enough, even more so because of his excellent first year.

BTW - your cycle of success that you mention would be the envy of just about every NFL team in the league if it is accurate.

I CAN ALMOST SMELL THE PRE-SEASON!

NM
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
Ben isn't "cocky" or "arrogant".He's a real class act,just like he was in Miami (Oh).Fans of other teams are just jealous.
Im sure you all know better than to listen to the people who throw out such ridiculous and pointless accusations. People who accuse a QB of another team of being 'arrogant' will often have very little positive going for their own side.

PRE-SEASON IS IN THE AIR!

NM
Old 07-26-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I think in a way it does make it harder. Pittsburgh is a huge football town and after being so close we can almost taste the Super Bowl. I think there is also some added pressure because a lot of people want to see Jerome Bettis get his Super Bowl ring this year with this being maybe his last year. I think Ben will handle it well though.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

I am guilty of thinking he was getting to big for his britches at times. But he has once again proven the rumor wrong. I expect great things out of this kid.

Games aren't won on game day. They are won during the preparation...
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

How can you not be estatic to come into the league, drafted early in the first round, making a ton of money, having all that success in your rookie year, and bringing back most of the same team next year and the same coaching staff.

He is very fortunate and he seems to stay pretty grounded too.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote