Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-27-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
bozz723
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1132
Default Steelers playoff scenarios.

Ok. Yea I need a "reality" check. Enough of that talk. I don't care about reality. I care about what is possible and what could happen.

So lets discuss steeler playoff scenarios. They hae to go 9-7. But what else has to happen for us to get into the playoffs ? There are tie break rules and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be more than one team at 9-7. So if someone is kind enough to map out the steelers playoff chances at 9-7, please do it.

I just don't have the time at this moment.
bozz723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203
Default Re: Steelers playoff scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz723 View Post
There are tie break rules and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be more than one team at 9-7.
The first tie breaker is head to head. We have lost to a few of the teams ahead of us, so we are screwed in a few of the head-to-head tie breakers. If we end up tied with a team we did not play, the next tie breaker is winning record against conference teams.

It will take a couple more weeks for this to shake out further. If we are going to include the Steelers in the playoff hunt, then we need to include every team with our record and better. At this time, besides the current division leaders, that is eight teams.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Ok here how it goes; If we win out and go 9-7.

If there is only 1 spot left;
We cannot win a tie breaker against Denver, Jags, Jets

We can however win tie breaker against KC, and Bengals. Now we do need the Ravens to beat the bengals.

There will be 2 spots open for fight if Denver Looses 4 out of 5 of there last games to put them at 8-8.

KC and Jags if ether win 3 games were done. Im pretty sure Denver is not going to loose 4 games even tho there is some teams that are fighting for the playoffs they play and they have 3 of there last 5 at home. Now the Bills are in a better spot then we are and depending on conference record by the end of season could be a tie also. We would have to look if it came to that point.

I seriously doubt we make it but it can happen. I would laugh if we did make it and after paying back ravens at home making it to the ravens again and putting them out of the playoffs in there own home would be the sweetest thing could ever happen to shut them up and put a nail in there ass..

So lets hope for the best.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Talking Re: Steelers playoff scenarios.

Steelers Play-offs hopes ARE GONE
Now, understand this... I love the Steelers more than any sport team there is and I am not giving up on our franchise just yet...NEVER..
But we need to also think about our future.. the '07 Draft is coming up in April and we need some high draft picks.. that means as bad as I hate to say it... we need losses
Imagine.. we get a top 4or5 pick and with the talent that is already here and with Ben not having another offseason like last and we are right back in the super bowl hunt next year...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
slashsteel

Member Number:

Win out ? Let us just play one game at a time. And throw some backups into the mix with some open competition.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Winning out would just be what the Dolphins did last year, waste a high draft pick.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'm sorry but playing for a draft pick is what pathetic teams do. What teams that are use to losing do. We, the STEELERS, are not that type of team nor should we be that type of fan. Another high draft pick won't do anything for the lack of chemistry that is missing from the 2006 version of the Steelers.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts

In the immortal words of Jim Mora, Sr.

PLAYOFFS??? PLAYOFFS??!!

NM
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I think that you hurt your team far more by not trying to win games than the difference between the 8th pick and 13th pick is worth. Winning is contagious, and so is losing; that's what hurt us this year, that losing is contagious. In the long run you always do better by winning as much as you can.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I think that you hurt your team far more by not trying to win games than the difference between the 8th pick and 13th pick is worth. Winning is contagious, and so is losing; that's what hurt us this year, that losing is contagious. In the long run you always do better by winning as much as you can.
Agreed - however, while the 2000 team that missed the playoffs started slow and then played well through the end of the season, building a foundation for 2001, the 1998 and 1999 teams fell apart completely after being eliminted from serious playoff consideration.

The question is whether this team has the pride to play well (especially since this head coach will not be deciding who stays next year) or packs it in.

Not a good sign that self-proclaimed leader Joey Porter bolted without speaking to the media after yesterday's disaster. It is easy to be talkative when you are winning; maybe Porter can quit his pre-game clown act and discuss what has gone wrong.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote