Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-30-2005, 12:24 AM   #11
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: What do you want??????

TO is as much a distraction and cancer in the locker room as he is a good player on the field. Hence the reason the Steelers have always steered clear of players w/ big ego's and me first attitudes.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:57 AM   #12
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Yeah he doesn't stretch the field or get 20 TD's or such, but he does catch the ball which moves the chains, which is important when you run on 1st for 3, run on 2nd for 3, then throw on 3rd for 5. Also he has never said anything about us continuing to hand off the ball which might have cost him a chance at the league rec title, he never argued about "throw me the damn ball", and never got into jaw spit swapping with Cowher on the Sideline like another high signing bonus player of ours. Just think all that is enough to to put together a decent enough deal to keep him here and not feel bad because you banked on this player for the next five years. Out of the WR's out there, next to Harrison, I'd put more money into Ward than anybody else cause I know even if I don't get it on the field I'll get it elsewhere.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #13
slashsteel

Member Number:

I would pay Hines top 10 WR price and around a 11 million signing bonus.......... Other than that it might be overkill..........
Old 07-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #14
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I think that right now Hines is tarnishing his reputation. This is a guy that has been looked at as a team player and wants the best for the team. The contract in which he was offered seems pretty damn fair to me, but we don't know it all. However, that does not give him the right to break the contract he is under now, if he was unhappy with the offer, there are better ways to go about it than a hold-out. How about finish out your existing contract, play your heart out and hit the FA market next year (and deal with things then).
Don't get me wrong, but I still want this deal done and sooner than later. However, I don't want to see the Steelers giving in too much. What kind of example will this set for our players in the future. I would like both sides to compromise and find some common ground, but we can not just sit back and take his demands either. That is not what this organization is about and it never has been. I do see Hines' frustrations though, he was told he would be a top priority this year, and really there hasn't been much talking going on, but to me it still doesn't excuse the way he is acting now.
I believe this will be settled soon, at least I hope so...because right now this is just ugly! And I still feel that we need Ward, and I know he will be as valued as ever...but if the hold-out happens...I don't think I will be able to see the same guy I have for years on the field. I will still like him, but I won't see him as that ultimate team player that I have always looked at him as. This is just a hard situation and I can see both sides and I think both sides have done some wrong here...but like I said...I don't think holding out and making demands are the way to get things accomplished in any aspect of life...including buisness IMO!

Last edited by bigbensgirl7; 07-30-2005 at 09:50 AM.
bigbensgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #15
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I don't know BBG7, I think you may have read more stuff than I have cause I don't see it as being as bad as you paint Ward to be right now. Steelers have a long history of not letting players we want to keep around "sweating" their final year of their contract. Also, he did a very PC thing when he didn't ruffle when we redid Tommy's contract with more years left. I think he has only spoken to the media because they have asked him, not him seeking them out(like TO). While I wish we could just sign him, heck the announcement alone could probably sell another 1,000 cases of Ward jerseys in a day, I can understand him feeling that he is okay to not ask for a bank breaking contract but with a higher signing bonus. I am a little confused why it is taking this long because our FO knew about all this last season, and we picked our rookies in April. We act like we just got back from summer vacation to a stack of memos on our desk.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #16
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

I agree...this is something that should have been addressed much sooner than it was, esp. considering that they promised Ward that he would be a top priority this year, not to mention we lost our #2 guy. I also agree with the statemant about Ward taking the Maddox thing very well, and I completely disagreed with the Steelers re-doing maddox's deal then. To me maddox was and always has been replacable, but Ward is not that easily replaced! I have seen fans take both sides of this and I am kindof standing in the middle here. I will say that I want this to get settled and I wish it would have never come down to this. I have seen many different things about what he wants and what the Steelers are offering so I don't know the truth there. Like I said..I will still like him, but I will have a hard time seeing him like I used to.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #17
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I wanna resign him,but it's not worth it to jeapordize the future of the Steelers for one single player,even if he is as beloved as Hines Ward.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #18
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

I really like the Editorial on the home page from Nick Signorelli. I don't know how many people look at the editorials in here...but I think he has some very good points
http://steelersfever.com/editorials/0529.html
actually I have seen so many great articles from both sides....this is just getting to be down right ugly...a Soap Opera and one I don't enjoy!