Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Gene Collier: Count Cowher among those who should go

Gene Collier: Count Cowher among those who should go
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Got the Steelers game wrong Sunday.

I thought they'd lose, 30-0.

Maybe you saw a hopeful and heroic fourth quarter in Cleveland the previous week, 21 points that alchemized a 24-20 victory; I saw a team that was so much like the Browns as to be barely distinguishable from them, barely above pathetic.

That a twitching Steelers offense cowered -- or is it Cowhered? -- at the approach of Sunday's raucous Ravens beating wasn't terribly surprising, although it was a minor annoyance that Baltimore lost interest at 27-0.

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was just slightly wrong as well.

"Pittsburgh is no run-of-the-mill team," he said.

That's supposed to be a compliment and, although I'd also be inclined to argue that the Steelers are a run-of-the-mill team, the fact is, the mill closed Sunday. The last shift filed out about 4 p.m. A skeleton crew will work the laundry through five meaningless season-ending cycles, but basically, the 2006 Steelers are a boarded-up gates-locked eyesore.

It's time to scrawl some graffiti and whip rocks through the windows.

With an eye on the 2007 edition of what is still one of sports' elite franchises, the fact is that the Steelers can plainly do without a number of the people who less than 10 months ago were some of the components, some vital, of a Super Bowl champion.

Foremost among them would be whoever that is walking around disguised as Bill Cowher.

Of all the relatively serious implications of Sunday's Ravens rollover, none was more important than the Steelers' demeanor at their moment of truth. They were sluggish, unfocused, even feckless, meaning that after 15 years as one of the NFL's best motivators with a well-deserved and effectively deployed reputation as a player's coach, Cowher could find nothing in his psychological bag to adequately prepare this team for the 60 minutes in which the season hung in the balance.

Maybe that's because, along with his other bags, his psychological bag is packed for North Carolina. Normally Cowher is an intense stew of emotions, at least on game day, but this season, a passersby who had once just hoped to avoid the spittle is now more likely to hear the unsung James Taylor lyrics:

In my mind, I'm goin' to Carolina.
Can't ya just feel the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind.

If there are guest quarters at the $2.5 million home the head coach has purchased in North Carolina, perhaps special teams coach Kevin Spencer could crash there while he pursues employment elsewhere. Spencer may be the best special teams coach in the known universe, but his players have rewarded him with not only the kind of performance that gets people in that niche position fired, but the most ridiculous special teams autumn in memory.

"These next five games should mean a lot to the guys on this team," Hines Ward said. "We're going to find out who will be here next year. We'll find out who will keep practicing hard and keep working hard. We have to keep working and keep fighting.

"We will find out a lot of about the character of our team in the next few weeks."

You'd better hope it's better than the things we found out in the past few weeks, things such as that Najeh Davenport, despite what Cowher calls "great body lean," is of little utility on this team, especially returning kicks. The only question there is, if Davenport actually broke one some Sunday, would he get to the end zone Monday or Tuesday.

We've also seen mounds of evidence that much like in 2003, Cowher's previous losing season, the offensive line is suddenly a foundation gone squishy. When you can't run, you can't throw under anything but relentless pressure, and when you can't stay on the field, your defense, no matter how accomplished, will tire and fail. Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons and Max Starks are no longer strengths.

"I can't get mad at the linemen," Ben Roethlisberger said. "They did a good job."

In the Steelers game?

With nine sacks and 22 yards rushing, perhaps Bart Scott hit Roethlisberger even harder than we thought.

Between now and the time the mill reopens, someone will have to figure out what people like Joey Porter and Clark Haggans and Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington are bringing to this unbalanced equation as well.

Smells like a job for the next head coach.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06332/741748-150.stm
Old 11-28-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Gene Collier: Count Cowher among those who should go

Finally, somebody in the Pittsburgh media said it!!! Hopefully the Rooney's agree.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-28-2006 at 07:18 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

And this from the Baltimore Sun....

Roethlisberger roughed up

Steelers coach Bill Cowher should be ashamed of himself for playing Roethlisberger the entire game. Roethlisberger was sacked nine times and hurried nine others. He could easily dominate ESPN's "Jacked Up" segment, especially when Ravens linebacker Bart Scott stretched him out late in the first half.

Roethlisberger is only a shell of his former self, and you can see it in his eyes. The kid is totally lost, and he never should have been the starter at the beginning of the season because of his motorcycle accident shortly before training camp.

Instead, Cowher tried to make him into a "Super Bowl" quarterback by throwing the ball instead of staying with the running game. Even more embarrassing for Cow- her is the fact that he won't play backup Charlie Batch, who has been successful when called on to play in the past two years.

Roethlisberger had no chance yesterday, yet Cowher kept throwing him out there to take a beating.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
And this from the Baltimore Sun....

Roethlisberger roughed up

Steelers coach Bill Cowher should be ashamed of himself for playing Roethlisberger the entire game. Roethlisberger was sacked nine times and hurried nine others. He could easily dominate ESPN's "Jacked Up" segment, especially when Ravens linebacker Bart Scott stretched him out late in the first half.

Roethlisberger is only a shell of his former self, and you can see it in his eyes. The kid is totally lost, and he never should have been the starter at the beginning of the season because of his motorcycle accident shortly before training camp.

Instead, Cowher tried to make him into a "Super Bowl" quarterback by throwing the ball instead of staying with the running game. Even more embarrassing for Cow- her is the fact that he won't play backup Charlie Batch, who has been successful when called on to play in the past two years.

Roethlisberger had no chance yesterday, yet Cowher kept throwing him out there to take a beating.

Yeah that really made me mad. Roethlisberger should not have played the rest of the game after he got the wind knocked out of him.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

When a game is going that bad and where nothing seems to be going right (count the Raider game also), you should take him out. Not only were things going horrible with that team in general this past Sunday, but Ben was also getting demolished on every other down.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,146 Times in 1,929 Posts

Their not going to fire cower, he allready quit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
bradness113
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1962

Thats for sure. He quit after he won his superbowl
COWHER
bradness113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradness113 View Post
Thats for sure. He quit after he won his superbowl
COWHER
Oh MY Gawd !!!! What a sig !!!!! LMAO !!!!!!!
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Bill isnt making me happy right now, thats for sure. I am not too thrilled, however, withthe idea of having whisenhunt as our HC.... he has driven me crazy all year long.... i dont want to rip him too bad... lets just say he is running neck and neck with "the chin" for most annoying steeler during the 2006 season.

I dont love the article but i find it extremely necessary..... billy needs to hold himself more accountable than looking completely dumb founded every game, all game long, only to follow that performance up with meaningless declarations such as...."that will never happen again"..... that was his statement after 3 personal foul penalties ..... IN 3rd GAME OF THE DAMN SEASON.... looks like billy is getting soft in his old age.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
BTW, we shouldn't be running Cowher off. He's less than one year removed from a Super Bowl and has an outstanding record.

If he's leaving at the end of the year, he should go ahead and leave now. But if he wants to come back in 2007 he should be welcome.
Not if this is how he is going to coach! Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord spilt ya!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote