Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts
Default Cowher not interested in NC State job

This from the Raleigh News & Observer

So much for speculation about N.C. State possibly luring Bill Cowher away from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

On Wednesday, Cowher told reporters in Pittsburgh that he would not be a candidate for the job.

"I'm very flattered and I've heard some of the things that have been coming out, but I'm not a candidate," Cowher said after practice. "You can take me off the list.

"I am flattered. It's a super program and I'm sure they'll get a very qualified coach that's going to walk into a good situation."

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/515855.html

Shocking news! I cannot believe this nonsensical rumor had legs for most of the season.

Of course, nowhere in the linked story is any Cowher comment to the effect that he is the Steelers coach and plans to have that job for as long as the Rooneys will hire him.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Cowher not interested in NC State job

Definant sign of a return next year.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I imagine he'll take a break from the job altogether wont he?

At least for a year - then maybe take a look at how things are shaking out in the NFL?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

Here is a better article on today's comments by Cowher from the AP:

"I'm the coach here -- as much as that may disappoint some people -- but I am the coach here and I want to win these last five games," Cowher said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to do that. I've been here for a while and I like it. It's a good job. I don't like the way we are right now and I'm going to do everything in our power to finish this thing up strong."

Still, even if Cowher decided he wanted to coach college ball at some point, he almost certainly couldn't command the money he makes now.

Cowher is being paid about $4.5 million by the Steelers, a figure he probably could double by retiring, sitting out a year or two and then returning to coach an NFL team willing to spend big for a proven winner. No college coach makes close to $8 million to $9 million per season.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops ($3.45 million) is believed to be the only current major college coach who is guaranteed more than $3 million per season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

He is not going to NC State but he is going somewhere
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

When he uses terms like 'finish this thing up strong' you have imagine he is going to leave.

I think people would be 100% on his side if he had taken the time to dispell the rumors and commit himself to next year unequivocally - but he hasn't done that.

Either he doesn't know what is happening next year, or he knows he wont be in Pittsburgh.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I don't read it that way. I take it that he is talking about finishing this season up strong.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Strong finish into the off season, leave the new coach something to work with and then move on to your mansion!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
TomBrady4HOF
Water Boy

Member Number: 4027

I really Don't see Cowher leaving,He's got a good thing going here in Pittsburgh.Since his first year as Steelers HC in 1992 he has compiled a 149-96 Record.Thats nothing to frown at.He is the ONLY Coach that has been with his current team this long.There are alot of folks down on him right now,Understandably so.Your coming off a Superbowl winning season,a Young Quarterback who is having a time getting back into his SB Form.I was noticing though,that Big Ben has already thrown a career high in attempts this year at 347,And there is still 5 games to play.The playcalling seems to be an issue.But thats just my Humble opinion.Cowher is still at the top of his game,being one of the most Respected and as I previously mentioned Revered coaches.The Rooney's I think,will keep him here as long as he wants a job.As well they should.

Tom Brady,Seeking his Way into the halls of Canton....
RAT 87.1 | YDS 2,565 | TD 20

Career Stats
Comp-1,798
Attempts-2,915
Yards-20,600
Completion Percentage-61.7%
Touchdowns-143
Interceptions-77
Sacks-173
QB Rating-88.3%
SuperBowl Rings- 3
TomBrady4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 AM   #9
stillers
Water Boy

Member Number: 1062

My opinion on the matter is that he didnt renew his contract last year because he wants to be paid what a deserving super bowl coach should. The rooneys will work something out with his contract and he will be with the steelers for an extended time. Why would he leave what he has built up here to try and start over somewhere for more money where if he doesnt succeed quickly that team could fire him after 2 years. The steelers organization is the most stable orginization in the NFL. Who else can say they've only had 2 coaches in the past 34 years. He'll be back. They just need to revamp a few things.
stillers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
When he uses terms like 'finish this thing up strong' you have imagine he is going to leave.

I think people would be 100% on his side if he had taken the time to dispell the rumors and commit himself to next year unequivocally - but he hasn't done that.

Either he doesn't know what is happening next year, or he knows he wont be in Pittsburgh.

NM
thats a brilliant observation. either he knows, or he dont know. bravo!

see the thing about pittsburgh football is winning. he couldve squashed all rumors, signed an extension, and if the team played at a 4-7 level he WOULD NOT be supported 100%.

on the flipside, he couldve let the rumors run rampant, and if the team was at 9-2 everyone would love him.

with the majority of the fans (not 100%) its all about the winning, not rumors or commitment.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote