Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,886 Times in 4,506 Posts
Default Cowhers supposed "lack of emotion"

alot of fans seem more concerned with the sideshow that is bill on the sidelines with the headset, rather than the play on the field.

many seem to believe it is his emotion that causes the team to win. it is the oposite. it is the winning that causes the emotion. the only reason he seems less emotional is because the team is winning less. 1st and foremost, bill is an ex player, and a players coach. we're always used to seeing bill yell and scream "lets go! lets go!" when the team is up or close to winning. anyone ever see him do this when were in a funk and losing? he has always looked despondant and biting his lip when the team is pissing away a game. were just seeing it alot more this year.

can anyone remember porter or foote jumping around and stomping their foot when they are losing? how bout jerome doing his little 1`st down dance when they are 20 points down?

the emotion were used to seeing is a product of the winning, not vice versa. weve just become accustomed to so much winning we expect that ALL the time and forget how people respond to losing.

did anyone see tom coughlin throw a fit and jum all over m. kiwanukas ass for blowing a play that caused the giants to lose last weekend? that was counterproductive behavior towards a rookie who was trying not to draw a penalty we all know he wouldve drawn. does anyone believe coughlins "emotion couldve turned this season around?

verron haynes stated yesterday that all the fire and drive, and emotion is still there with cowher and i tend to believe him more than fans who observe 4-5 sideline shots on tv. he says the spit is still flying and the jaw is still jutting. maybe the cameras just arent showing it as often.

i just dont see how the yelling, and screaming, and spit is a magical elixir for winning. it is a by-product of the winning.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Cowhers supposed "lack of emotion"

As I recall, even a few years ago when we went 6-10, he still had the spitting fire.

It is my opinion that he no longer has that same fire.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Good post, tony...

I have to say I have been a little confused by the "lack of emotion" but hey I am not in the locker room or the practice field so I cannot speculate what's going on there.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

So he gets mad when his team is winning or nearly winning?

Thats certainly not the impression I have had of him, and it seems to be the same opinion a vast majority of Steeler fans hold too.

I have noticed him 'get spittin' angry' at officials when he thinks they got something wrong - although maybe you can convince us he only gets angry when they make the right call?

It would certainly be consistent with your logic.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm more concerned about his decision making and his inability to motivate (a trait he was praised for in years past) this season than I am of his lack of sideline emotion. IMO, the guy is burnt out and he's not the same coach. Fifteen years of coaching (the same team nonetheless), a SB victory and his family living in NC may have something to do with it.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 11-30-2006 at 11:42 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
As I recall, even a few years ago when we went 6-10, he still had the spitting fire.

It is my opinion that he no longer has that same fire.
then we were just getting beat by better teams. now were giving games away to lesser teams. i think you tend to react differently. i remember the game against the texans where we held them to less than 50 yards and they still beat us, with cowher just shaking his head on the sideline like he was speechless. weve seen alot of that this year. parcells has also lost that spitting fire but it hasnt changed his capabilities to coach. i have seen much more emotion out of parcells this year once he made the move to romo and began to win more consistantly, than when bledsoe was qb'ing. parcells mean looks or rah rah or spit wasnt gonna get bledsoe to play better on the field. nor was it gonna make romo play any better.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
So he gets mad when his team is winning or nearly winning?

NM
would you like to point out where i said anything about him getting "mad"?

reading comprehension my friend. its right there in the title. theres a difference between "emotional" and "mad".

learn it. live it. love it.

anyways they showed him pissed at the refs just last weekend.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'm more concerned about his decision making and his inability to motivate (a trait he was praised for in years past) this season than I am of his lack of sideline emotion. IMO, the guy is burnt out and he's not the same coach. SB victory and his family living in NC may have something to do with it.
Nice post 83 and I agree. I really think Cowher is burnt out and its understandable. Coaching in the NFL for 15 years and especiall in Pittsburgh can take its toll on a person. I just wish Cowher would have walked away when Jerome did. Hey I think its time for a change anyway. Yea I know some Steelers love the fact the Steelers have had 2 coaches in 30 plus years. But thats nice and all. But if Cowher wants to retire and be with his family in North Carolina. So be it.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'm more concerned about his decision making and his inability to motivate (a trait he was praised for in years past) this season than I am of his lack of sideline emotion. IMO, the guy is burnt out and he's not the same coach. Fifteen years of coaching (the same team nonetheless), a SB victory and his family living in NC may have something to do with it.
now this is a valid concern. i think alot just feel his spit has the healing power of belichicks flatulence: that a jutting jaw has been what has won so manny games. theres more to it than simple sideline behavior.

if anyone thinks cowher is not pissed by the losing they are crazy. any player ive heard comment on the matter says as much. if players are saying the fire is still there then i gotta believe them.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
would you like to point out where i said anything about him getting "mad"?

reading comprehension my friend. its right there in the title. theres a difference between "emotional" and "mad".

learn it. live it. love it.

anyways they showed him pissed at the refs just last weekend.
Well that was my point.

He was pissed at the refs because they got something wrong - which is fair enough.

Unfortunately he really has resembled that cardboard cut-out on the sideliens when the season has been falling down around his ears.

So your point is what?

That Cowher isn't normally 'emotional' when his team is losing?

That he only gets pumped when his team is winning (or nearly winning)?

That doesn't sound like a coach, that sounds like a cheerleader.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote