Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers offensive line giving up ground

Steelers offensive line giving up ground

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 1, 2006

The starting offensive line from last year's Super Bowl champion returned intact. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is probably fortunate he is still intact.

Therein lies one of the biggest reasons why the Steelers, who are 4-7 and host Tampa Bay on Sunday, have been perhaps the biggest underachievers in the NFL this season.

The unit that figured to be a strength has instead been a sieve.

Roethlisberger has been sacked 36 times this season, with nine of those coming last week in a ghastly performance by the offense and the line in particular.

"I could care less about last week," left tackle Marvel Smith said. "I'm focusing on this week."

It is understandable why Smith would rather not discuss what happened in Baltimore. The Steelers couldn't keep Roethlisberger upright, and they couldn't generate any kind of running game, leading to more questions about the offensive line.

"I think, at times, we've been putting ourselves in bad situations where teams have been able to tee off on us and do what they want instead of us dictating what we want to do," guard Alan Faneca said.

The Steelers continually found themselves in second- and third-and-long against the Ravens in the 27-0 loss.

The Steelers averaged just 2.8 yards on 25 first-down plays against Baltimore. Couple that with the 11 third-down plays in which they needed at least 10 yards, and it's easy to see why Roethlisberger turned into such an easy target for the Ravens.

By contrast, the Steelers averaged 9.1 yards on first down earlier this season against the Kansas City Chiefs and had only three third-down plays in which they needed 10 yards or more.

The 45-7 win over the Chiefs represents the other extreme for the Steelers offense, and it would be generous to say it has played somewhere in the middle in the nine other games.

The offensive line has regressed, though Steelers coach Bill Cowher said that may be more attributable to circumstances than an across-the-board drop in performance.

"I think we've played from behind a lot this year," Cowher said. "When you play from behind, then you'll get involved in must-throw situations."

That's when bad things happen, such as Roethlisberger throwing an interception - he has an NFL-high 19 - or being knocked into last week, which Ravens linebacker Bart Scott essentially did to him last week.

The Steelers' run/pass ratio has basically flipped from last season to this one.

In 2005, the Steelers threw the ball 43 percent of the time in the regular season; this year, they have thrown the ball 58 percent of the time.

That imbalance has led to the kind of blitzing that teams are used to seeing from the Steelers, not doing to them.

"Teams watch film, and they're going to see that's the way to get things done (defensively), bring different guys from different positions," Roethlisberger said.

The Steelers have run the ball at Heinz Field -- they are averaging 169 rushing yards in five home games -- and that success may give the Buccaneers' pass rushers pause.

The Steelers, however, expect Tampa Bay to blitz early and often, especially after seeing the success Baltimore had with that approach.

As Faneca said, "If they're smart, they're going to do something like it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_482162.html
Old 12-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Steelers offensive line giving up ground

Quote:
"I think, at times, we've been putting ourselves in bad situations where teams have been able to tee off on us and do what they want instead of us dictating what we want to do," guard Alan Faneca said.
That sounds like an excuse to me. I guess what he is saying is that they aren't good enough to block when the other team knows its going to be a pass?

Plenty of other teams around the league are in regular must-pass situations and dont get the crap beaten out of their QB.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Steelers offensive line giving up ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
That sounds like an excuse to me. I guess what he is saying is that they aren't good enough to block when the other team knows its going to be a pass?

Plenty of other teams around the league are in regular must-pass situations and dont get the crap beaten out of their QB.

NM
Hey I agree its a excuse. But thats the one area Steelers have been good at this year is excuses.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote