Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
View Poll Results: Bench Ben ?
No way, leave him in no matter what, he's gotta learn 13 54.17%
Only if we still have a chance to win, and he's strugged that day 2 8.33%
Only if he's struggled for several games in a row and we need a spark 6 25.00%
Only if he struggles thru till to mid season. 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Is there a situation where u bench Ben ?

OK, so we all have nothing but confidence in Ben to lead us to the promised land and have a very successful career in Pittsburgh. I have no doubts he can do it.

But, is there a situation in a game, where if he is struggling, and we still have a chance to win, that you bench him? Bring in Maddox to try and light a fire? Or do you stick w/ him thru thick and thin no matter what.

hell, even the best of the best have been told to sit now and then when it just isnt their day?
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #2
steelparrot
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 437
Default Re: Is there a situation where u bench Ben ?

Nope keep him in no matter what. This year is not going to be a 15-1. Ben is going to have some bad games, and some good ones. Lets just hope he has more good ones than bad ones.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
TheTeenieSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 503

Great question....
Of course it would depend on the importance of the game. Is this the 1st game of the year? A must win to get into the palyoffs? Or possibly the chance to win the Superbowl? I voted to let him in there and that would be in any of these games. He is the team leader from here on out. I hope he has a Favre like career. Never hurt and mostly a winner. This is only his second year but this is his team. He must play at all times unless he is hurt or they have things wrapped up were he can sit.
TheTeenieSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I say no....It can ruin with a QB's confidence. Kordell was never the same after getting benched. Not that he was ever really good, but you could see a change in his confidence and the way he carried himself.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I cannot see how you stick with Ben regardless of his form.
Even if the Steelers were the Cards - then you still cant afford to have a QB on board who is actually losing you games and doesn't appear to be improving.

Of course, I cannot forsee anything like this happening - but everyone on the team is droppable if he is losing you games.

Its a different story if it was a minor wobble that could be attributed to sophomore blues - then you stick with the guy - he is supposed to be the future.

So I certainly wouldn't drop him if he made mistakes based on a lack of experience - there's only one way to learn right?

But if he developed a case of QB 'yips' then you would have to bench him for the sake of the team - a team has to have faith that its QB can get the job done on the day.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I think kordell was a different situation. He didnt take pressure well, he didnt stress well, and broke down many times. When kordell was having a bad game, which there were many of them we all know, he rarely dug himself out and helped us win the game by making that crucial 3rd pass, or throwing the TD to win the game when we were behind. Yes there were times when he did, but when ben had some ruff games last year, he came thru when he had too w/ big plays to help us keep winning.

Early on in the season, I think u gotta stick w/ him no matter what, but if he struggles late in the season in a must win game, I'd be tempted let him sit and calm down, even if only for a few series or so.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I would keep him in. The only time I think I would take him out is if it was a very crucial game and he was playing absolutely horrible. I would just pull him out for that game though and see what happens with him in the game next week.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:49 AM   #8
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Ben has to play all the time. You need to see what he can do with all the plays all the time. Stewart got his chances and we decided to go another direction after evaluating. We need to make sure that what we saw last year is what we wil continue to see. I also see this as a sub category of the "everybody loves the back up QB" notion, until the back up has to keep playing and pretty much provides the same results. Even in his rookie season Ben did things Tommy or Batch have never done in their opportunities so I say dance with the one that brought ya.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Not trying to be argumentative here...but, it was are running game and defense that got us to 15-1. Yes, Ben was the QB of this team. Look at his stats. He averaged 174 yds a game passing and 1 Td passing. I don't think it was his arm that got us 15-1. He made some plays, yes. I agree he shows alot of promise. But, I also think David Klingler could have looked good as the QB last year. I like Ben and think he's got things going in the right direction to be one of the best in the league. I'm posting his stats to corroborate my opinion.

+----------+--------------------------+----------------+
| WK OPP | CMP ATT PYD TD INT | RSH YD TD |
| 2 bal | 12 20 176 2 2 | 0 0 0 |
| 3 mia | 12 22 163 1 1 | 1 2 0 |
| 4 cin | 17 25 174 1 0 | 4 2 0 |
| 5 cle | 16 21 231 1 1 | 6 13 1 |
| 6 dal | 21 25 193 2 0 | 2 8 0 |
| 8 nwe | 18 24 196 2 0 | 5 3 0 |
| 9 phi | 11 18 183 2 1 | 6 10 0 |
| 10 cle | 10 16 134 0 1 | 7 38 0 |
| 11 cin | 15 21 138 1 0 | 9 16 0 |
| 12 was | 9 20 131 0 0 | 6 4 0 |
| 13 jax | 14 17 221 2 0 | 3 40 0 |
| 14 nyj | 9 19 144 0 2 | 4 -2 0 |
| 15 nyg | 18 28 316 1 2 | 1 -1 0 |
| 16 bal | 14 19 221 2 1 | 2 11 0 |
| TOTAL | 196 295 2621 17 11 | 56 144 1 |

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its a valid point Lambert and well backed up by stats.
But I think that having less attempts automatically leads to less yardage - so you cant really be down on him for that.
What last year did show us is that Ben could handle the 'key moment' of most games - this is an intangible - I think it is a key reason on why alot of people are up on him.

The running game and O-Line are massive factors - but the fact is - sometime its harder to be relied on to make a higher % of a small number of throws count - rather then being allowed to throw the ball 35/40 times a game.

Everything I have seen of BEN so far I have liked - but is he a very good QB yet? Nope not yet , but this season will tell us alot.
I dont imagine that Pittsburgh will be going away from their smash mouth running game anytime soon....in fact is I see the Steelers as the ANTI-COLTS.
The problem with a quick scoring offence is that your D is spending too much time on the pitch - a slightly more physical grinding offensive style can prove more effective overall.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote