Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Cutler starting tonight

This is one game that I am actually looking very forward to this evening. With the debut of Jay Cutler..it could be a validation game for me. Every year I do a fantasy draft and this last year I had Cutler as the third QB drafted BUT I had him ranked as the best QB out of the "big three" of Young/Leinhart/Cutler...

Here is what I wrote about him:

"Jay Cutler 6'3 219... With questions about Leinharts arm strength and Youngs test scores..he made a very good choice to throw at the combine. Showed himself to have the strongest arm of this years crop, set a bench press record at the combine and showed himself to be accurate, able to make all the NFL passes. Has room to add mass to his frame...but already benches over 400lbs. I think with Leinharts high release, Youngs lack of taking snaps under center..and Cutler's previously mentioned assets... He will be this years Ben Rothlisberger..."

I love this kid and personally would have drafted him above Young and Leinhart!! Obviously with sticking my neck out about him being a "Ben-like" steal in the draft..I have a personal interest in seeing if:

A) I'm an idiot
B) I'm right
C) I'm an idiot who happened to be right

(I had theTitans and the Raiders taking a QB in the draft..which now seems obvious that the Raiders should have...and Cutler going to Arizona)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Cutler starting tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
This is one game that I am actually looking very forward to this evening. With the debut of Jay Cutler..it could be a validation game for me. Every year I do a fantasy draft and this last year I had Cutler as the third QB drafted BUT I had him ranked as the best QB out of the "big three" of Young/Leinhart/Cutler...

Here is what I wrote about him:

"Jay Cutler 6'3 219... With questions about Leinharts arm strength and Youngs test scores..he made a very good choice to throw at the combine. Showed himself to have the strongest arm of this years crop, set a bench press record at the combine and showed himself to be accurate, able to make all the NFL passes. Has room to add mass to his frame...but already benches over 400lbs. I think with Leinharts high release, Youngs lack of taking snaps under center..and Cutler's previously mentioned assets... He will be this years Ben Rothlisberger..."

I love this kid and personally would have drafted him above Young and Leinhart!! Obviously with sticking my neck out about him being a "Ben-like" steal in the draft..I have a personal interest in seeing if:

A) I'm an idiot
B) I'm right
C) I'm an idiot who happened to be right

(I had theTitans and the Raiders taking a QB in the draft..which now seems obvious that the Raiders should have...and Cutler going to Arizona)
Should be an interesting game, for sure.

I dont think the Seattle D is too bad an opponent for a rookie QB, unless he is forced to throw alot from behind, as they didnt get to Brett favre too often last week and they are starting 3 rookies on the O-line.

I wonder if Cutler will be asked to do what Plummer was expected to do - throw the odd deep ball and convert 3rd and short.

Tatum Bell should return from an injury today (hopefully for my FF team) so maybe that can take some of the pressure off him.

Should we expect to see Cutler scramble today or just stand and deliver from the pocket?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I picked Denver tonight in a couple of pick-em leagues that I play in but the more I've thought about it I should have went with Seattle......too late now.

I believe Cutler will be a good QB down the road but probably not this season with only 5 games left.
Shanahan has some big grapefruits making a QB change this late in the season and it will be interesting to see the reaction of Denver fans if Cutler doesn't play well?
They might want Shanahan's head on a platter.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Should be an interesting game, for sure.

I dont think the Seattle D is too bad an opponent for a rookie QB, unless he is forced to throw alot from behind, as they didnt get to Brett favre too often last week and they are starting 3 rookies on the O-line.

I wonder if Cutler will be asked to do what Plummer was expected to do - throw the odd deep ball and convert 3rd and short.

Tatum Bell should return from an injury today (hopefully for my FF team) so maybe that can take some of the pressure off him.

Should we expect to see Cutler scramble today or just stand and deliver from the pocket?

NM
Personally I think you will see Cutler make some tight throws and thread the needle several times....This kid is STRONG and has a beautiful arm...I am hoping he throws the long ball at least once for the world to see this kids strength/accuracy....he reminds me of Jeff George without the personality disorder....What he does as the pocket collapses is a crapshoot...with the speed of the NFL he may get unnerved in his first start...but I think he will walk away from this game looking strong.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Personally I think you will see Cutler make some tight throws and thread the needle several times....This kid is STRONG and has a beautiful arm...I am hoping he throws the long ball at least once for the world to see this kids strength/accuracy....he reminds me of Jeff George without the personality disorder....What he does as the pocket collapses is a crapshoot...with the speed of the NFL he may get unnerved in his first start...but I think he will walk away from this game looking strong.
Well, nothing personal against Jay, but I hope he has a terrible time at QB.

The Denver Bronco's have been nothing but bad news for the Patriots in the post season - so i'd like to see them knocked out altogether.

Even when totally out of form Plummer would manage to have a good game against us - thats when you know you are jinxed!

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well, nothing personal against Jay, but I hope he has a terrible time at QB.

The Denver Bronco's have been nothing but bad news for the Patriots in the post season - so i'd like to see them knocked out altogether.

Even when totally out of form Plummer would manage to have a good game against us - thats when you know you are jinxed!

NM
OH!! I hear ya!!..I hope he has a good career..but always sucks against the Steelers!!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I said all along that cutler is going to be the best qb in this class. Vince young wont do jack. Matt leinart will waste away in arizona
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Which is why I picked Seattle.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Overall...I guess Cutler played prettty much how everyone expected from a rookie. Some very obvious rookie mistakes...but definatley his potential was highlighted at times. What a beautiful pass this guy throws!!!

Here is a little of what they are saying about the game last night:

Quote:
Following the loss, Shanahan reiterated an early-week point that Cutler gave the Broncos their best chance to win, and, indeed, the young passer's field direction helped the Broncos trade blows with the defending NFC champions, often having the upper hand in terms of controlling the game's flow, outrushing the Pacific Northwesterners by 73 yards (181-108), averaging 0.7 more yards per play and converting a higher percentage of third downs -- 29 percent to just 19 percent for Seattle. But Cutler and his teammates amassed five giveaways for the game -- four more than their opponents.
I would have rather had a game where I could tell more about him...but I guess we are going to have to give him two or three more games before the jury can reach a verdict.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Overall...I guess Cutler played prettty much how everyone expected from a rookie. Some very obvious rookie mistakes...but definatley his potential was highlighted at times. What a beautiful pass this guy throws!!!

Here is a little of what they are saying about the game last night:

I would have rather had a game where I could tell more about him...but I guess we are going to have to give him two or three more games before the jury can reach a verdict.
I think Shanahan is an excellent coach (hate the cut blocking though) and I think he has made the right choice here.

Cutler has unknown potential/upside whereas Plummer has none.

Rookie vs Vet can be a tough decision if we are talking Palmer v Kitna (where the Vet is solid if unspectacular), but Plummer has been terrible for the most part.

Denver are going to really struggle to make the playoffs of their D continues to rack up yardage and fail to score.

NM