Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 6, 2006

If Duce Staley's career has come to an end following his release by the Steelers, the epitaph for it will read: "Beloved in Philadelphia, forgotten in Pittsburgh."

The Steelers cut ties Monday with the 31-year-old running back who dressed for only one game this season, and perhaps the most surprising thing about the move is that it didn't happen earlier.

Coach Bill Cowher acknowledged Tuesday that injuries made keeping Staley on the 53-man roster a luxury the Steelers could no longer afford. But he lavished praise on the player who spent yesterday traveling back to his native South Carolina, and Cowher said there is a place for Staley in the NFL.

"I hope someone picks him up," Cowher said. "He's still a good football player and a super person."

Staley could not be reached for comment yesterday, but his agent said the three-time 1,000-yard rusher will "weigh his options" before making any decisions regarding his career.

"Obviously, he still has a desire to play," Derrick Harrison said, "and a love of the game."

Once a fan favorite in Philadelphia, Staley signed with the Steelers before the 2004 season and rushed for 707 yards in his first seven games. A hamstring injury plagued him the rest of the season, and he never regained his role as the Steelers' No. 1 running back.

Staley played in only five games last season, but in the Steelers' 20-10 win at Green Bay he stepped in when Willie Parker was hurt and rushed for 76 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries.

"If we don't have Duce Staley, we don't win that game," Cowher said. "We don't win that game, and last year never takes place."

This year, Cowher said he simply couldn't find a place for Staley, in part because the veteran couldn't play special teams.

Thus, he went from a reduced role to no role in a span of two seasons.

"He wasn't surprised by it at all," Harrison said of Staley's reaction to his release.

The Steelers needed to make room on their roster for defensive back Chidi Iwuoma and wide receiver Lee Mays, each of whom re-signed with the team Monday.

Staley had taken a pay cut to return to the team this season, but he still made $1.5 million and didn't carry the ball one time.

Releasing Staley, who rushed for 978 yards for the Steelers, may have been a no-brainer to fans that groused about his presence on the roster, but Cowher said it was not easy.

"It was a tough decision just from the standpoint of how much I appreciate what he's given to this team, how he's handled everything," Cowher said. "I have nothing but the utmost respect for him."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_482851.html
Old 12-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

Well this saga has reached the level of unintentional comedy.

I think there are plenty of players who might be a little upset with strange highlighting of one of Staleys few contributions in the Black'n'Gold.

Its a strange revisionist history that tracks last years amazing SB run back to 15 carries for single TD from a guy who was just too gosh darn nice to want to play in the biggest game of his life (he wanted Bettis to finish his career the right way you see).

Im sure it puts a whole new light on the playoff heroics of Ben, including a game saving tackle after a Bettis fumble.

Bear in mind that the Green Bay game was only at the half way point of the season - there were still 3 further losses for the Steelers in the regular season - why did 'season saving Staley' not trouble himself to turn those losses into victories?

Sure, Cowher is a 'nice guy' but his Staley epitaph insults the intelligence of those who realise he was paid to do nothing this year other than stand around looking fat.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

I always said that Duce's contribution to the Superbowl run was that win in Green Bay. If he didn't step up, that offense was going nowhere that day. Duce carried the offense to that win.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

Sure, Cowher is a 'nice guy' but his Staley epitaph insults the intelligence of those who realise he was paid to do nothing this year other than stand around looking fat.

NM

Couldnt have said it better myself
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Before the season started I thought Duce would be a big help to our RB corp this year. Boy was I wrong.

I really think the guy just sat for too long and got used to it. He earned the same whether he played or not. Why go out and risk injury? I don't think he cares for the game anymore.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook View Post
Before the season started I thought Duce would be a big help to our RB corp this year. Boy was I wrong.
You and me both brother. It's understandable though. The guy ran for over 700 yards in his first seven games in a Steeler uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook View Post
I really think the guy just sat for too long and got used to it. He earned the same whether he played or not. Why go out and risk injury? I don't think he cares for the game anymore.
I agree. I honestly believe that he didn't care if he played or not. It was obvious (to me at least) that he didn't care when he walked into camp out of shape.

I guess Cowher is supposed to say the right thing in this situation. This article is proof.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

I firmly belive that Duce's "injuries" were figments of old Billy's imagination.

I also believe that Bill has officially become a characature of his former self.

The only time I really remember Bill addressing Duce not dressing.... when not listed on the injury list was during last season...

and Bill talked about Duce's inability to not play special teams... and some kind of rediculous "unwritten rule" about how he refuses to dress more than 5 RB's...

now he revises his own version of history.... insinuating that Duce has been injured since the 8th game of the 2004 season.

I am so disappointed with Bill Cowher.... in the last decade and a half I have never felt his way about Bill... sometimes I feel like many of us who have followed him all these years can not only see through his bullshit.... but we can also seen his bs coming from a mile away these days.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

The article said that Duce will WEIGH HIS OPTIONS. Obviously, the reporter missed the fact that Staley WEIGHED IN at training camp over-weight and out-of-shape! Here's a weigh in for the sweat suit model - start training now to get back in shape or see if the NFL Network will give you a job.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Duce did his job when he was healthy but he's been a wasted roster spot this year!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

If Duce wants to play in the NFL again..... here is a friendly piece of advice for both he and his agent.... Burn all video footage that exists of your efforts during this years preseason...

Honestly can anyone name a steelers RB in the last few decades that looked worse than Duce did this preseason????? I think not.

And I really bellieved that he would have a productive year this season.... boy was i wrong... He should be a tale that coaches ttell young players about the dangerts of eating yourself right out of the league
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

By Scott Brown

"I hope someone picks him up," Cowher said. "He's still a good football player and a super person."

"If we don't have Duce Staley, we don't win that game," Cowher said. "We don't win that game, and last year never takes place."

"It was a tough decision just from the standpoint of how much I appreciate what he's given to this team, how he's handled everything," Cowher said. "I have nothing but the utmost respect for him."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_482851.html
This says it all, folks...especially the last quote. Cowher has become far too much of a "player's coach" and has lost his edge as a "TEAM COACH" with his eye on the prize.

We've all heard the talk of how soft he seems this year, and this quote is just another example of this.

I loved ya for all those years, Bill...but I am very very sad to say that it is TIME TO GO, Buddy!!!
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote