Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238
Default Re: Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

Ofcouse Cowher's not going to diss the guy. He's going to praise him up and kiss his ass cause that what Billy does. Thats why he is such a "players coach".
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Hey Duce ... Good luck.....I'm "outta" here to play 18... 64 for the high!!!!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #13
Paul Pyrch
Draft Prospect

Location: Originally from Ambridge, PA now living in Virginia Beach, VA
Member Number: 3116

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"] What on earth is Cower thinking when he praises Staley and all that he has done for the team?? Maybe I missed something important along the way. Other than his first season here, Staley has done NOTHING AT ALL except take up space! IMO Staley is finished. I don't think his so-called injuries were that bad to prevent him from playing. We don't need him or anyone else to stand on the sidelines and just take the money. I don't buy Cower's assessment at all!
Paul Pyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #14
noto45
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 984

I dont understand the whole Duce thing??? why did he even make the team this year? I am glad its over....

"You play tough, you play smart, and above all ..... you play physical."
noto45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well this saga has reached the level of unintentional comedy.

I think there are plenty of players who might be a little upset with strange highlighting of one of Staleys few contributions in the Black'n'Gold.

Its a strange revisionist history that tracks last years amazing SB run back to 15 carries for single TD from a guy who was just too gosh darn nice to want to play in the biggest game of his life (he wanted Bettis to finish his career the right way you see).

Im sure it puts a whole new light on the playoff heroics of Ben, including a game saving tackle after a Bettis fumble.

Bear in mind that the Green Bay game was only at the half way point of the season - there were still 3 further losses for the Steelers in the regular season - why did 'season saving Staley' not trouble himself to turn those losses into victories?

Sure, Cowher is a 'nice guy' but his Staley epitaph insults the intelligence of those who realise he was paid to do nothing this year other than stand around looking fat.

NM
Geez, LITP - what did you expect Cowher to say - that Duce was a fat, lazy, worthless piece of cow poop who did nothing but pull splinters from his hiney from riding the pine? Cowher was exercising PC'ness and exhibiting class by giving the guy a proper sendoff by highlighting a game where Duce's contribution mattered a whole hell of a lot. I'm sure most of the guys on the team have a fraction of a brain cell and not only realized why Cowher said what he did, but agree with him, as Duce was a pretty well liked guy in the locker room. I for one appreciate the guy's contributions, though limited, to the team and its success last season.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #16
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

It's a shame things didn't work out better for Duce. I really liked it when we signed him.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #17
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
If Duce wants to play in the NFL again..... here is a friendly piece of advice for both he and his agent.... Burn all video footage that exists of your efforts during this years preseason...

Honestly can anyone name a steelers RB in the last few decades that looked worse than Duce did this preseason????? I think not.

And I really bellieved that he would have a productive year this season.... boy was i wrong... He should be a tale that coaches ttell young players about the dangerts of eating yourself right out of the league
I agree 1000% - I was excited to see him start this preseason - I actually believed he would challenge Willie for the starting spot - he looked good last year when he did play and I bought into the whole "he's been slowed by injuries" crapola - but then this preseason - what the he-- was that? I have never seen a player given so much opportunity and respond so poorly in return -- amazing!! - hang it up the cleats Duce!!!

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #18
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Well, at least they made mention of that.

I really can't blame Duce for the last two years, though. For whatever reason, Cowher wouldn't give him a shot. It's pretty hard to score touchdowns sitting on the bench.

The strangest thing is that you never really heard much of an explanation for all those healthy scratches. It's like at some point, it was just decided he wasn't any good.
That's the way I feel. I didn't think he was given a chance. I still like Duce. I will always remember him as The Bus's buddy in black & gold and I wish him luck.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #19
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post
That's the way I feel. I didn't think he was given a chance.
I think Cowher gave him more than ample opportunity to show his stuff in the preseason - there was a couple of games where he started him with the 1st string and he was either injured or decided to go at about half speed - averaging around 2.0 yards a carry ...nobody was more dissappointed than me - I thought he would be a better fit for our offense than Willie is...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #20
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Geez, LITP - what did you expect Cowher to say - that Duce was a fat, lazy, worthless piece of cow poop who did nothing but pull splinters from his hiney from riding the pine? Cowher was exercising PC'ness and exhibiting class by giving the guy a proper sendoff by highlighting a game where Duce's contribution mattered a whole hell of a lot. I'm sure most of the guys on the team have a fraction of a brain cell and not only realized why Cowher said what he did, but agree with him, as Duce was a pretty well liked guy in the locker room. I for one appreciate the guy's contributions, though limited, to the team and its success last season.
Nice post HometownGal...I couldn't agree more
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote