Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #21
Paul Pyrch
Draft Prospect

Location: Originally from Ambridge, PA now living in Virginia Beach, VA
Member Number: 3116
Default Re: Cowher lauds Staley's contributions

You were right when you said Staley's contributions were limited.....yep! Very limited. He may have been well-liked in the locker room, but he did nothing on the field. I too was excited about Duce coming to the Steelers and his first year was great. Let's be honest and not try to kid anyone about how valuable he was to the team. That just doesn't cut it at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Geez, LITP - what did you expect Cowher to say - that Duce was a fat, lazy, worthless piece of cow poop who did nothing but pull splinters from his hiney from riding the pine? Cowher was exercising PC'ness and exhibiting class by giving the guy a proper sendoff by highlighting a game where Duce's contribution mattered a whole hell of a lot. I'm sure most of the guys on the team have a fraction of a brain cell and not only realized why Cowher said what he did, but agree with him, as Duce was a pretty well liked guy in the locker room. I for one appreciate the guy's contributions, though limited, to the team and its success last season.
Paul Pyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #22
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Staley.........will "weigh his options" before making any decisions regarding his career.
I bet he will.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #23
24seven
Starter

Member Number: 525

Everything that happened with his existence and with the Steelers happened for a reason.. And nothing he did ever hurt the way i feel about the team or himself so I agree fully with steelreserve in that no harm done.. no bad feelings.. Good luck Duce.. I hope you can redeem yourself someday.. #22 will always be remembered with the word Staley below it.. at least for me..
Old 12-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #24
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24seven View Post
Everything that happened with his existence and with the Steelers happened for a reason.. And nothing he did ever hurt the way i feel about the team or himself so I agree fully with steelreserve in that no harm done.. no bad feelings.. Good luck Duce.. I hope you can redeem yourself someday.. #22 will always be remembered with the word Staley below it.. at least for me..
Well.... another great post on how I feel about #22
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #25
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Geez, LITP - what did you expect Cowher to say - that Duce was a fat, lazy, worthless piece of cow poop who did nothing but pull splinters from his hiney from riding the pine? Cowher was exercising PC'ness and exhibiting class by giving the guy a proper sendoff by highlighting a game where Duce's contribution mattered a whole hell of a lot. I'm sure most of the guys on the team have a fraction of a brain cell and not only realized why Cowher said what he did, but agree with him, as Duce was a pretty well liked guy in the locker room. I for one appreciate the guy's contributions, though limited, to the team and its success last season.
Well he didnt need to be rude about the guy - but he could have stayed more in touch with reality.

We aren't talking about a guy who had a great career with the Steelers and whose career talied off toward the end - we are talking about a guy who had about 8 games where he contributed something worthwhile to the team.

God knows how much he cost the Steelers per game.

We also arent talking about a guy who suffered a career ending injury - this was a guy who turned upto TC overweight and out of shape.

I didnt realise some of the salary cap was set by for guys who were 'well-liked' - I always thought football production should be a factor.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
That's what I don't understand... I can't think of anybody on the team who had a good preseason. At least he got a shot there, but I don't know how much you can tell from how people look in half-assed games. I went to a 49ers preseason game this year where SF's first-stringers were absolutely manhandling the Bears' first-stringers, so who knows what the hell you're getting based on training camp?

At any rate, we'll never know now, but a couple important things to remember are:

1) Even though he was sitting on the bench for the whole year last season, we won the freakin' Super Bowl, so you can't be too mad;

2) He didn't go out and lose games for us with sloppy play or anything, so no reason to hate him on that front;

3) Throughout the whole thing, he wasn't bitching and moaning all the time. Look, for example, at the way Randy Moss acts when he IS playing every game. And look at all the guys who do stupid shit and get themselves arrested. Duce wasn't a distraction during any of this, and for a guy who used to be a superstar, that doesn't happen all the time. For that, he at least has my respect.
I agree - he showed some class when he wasn't playing and the one time he played last year, he was awesome - in fact, I thought we were making a mistake when we played Willie the rest of the season instead of Duce - that's how much I liked the guy -- but I don't agree with you on your view of the preseason --IMHO, if you're competing for a starting job and the coach wants to see if you still "got it" and you play like Duce did - half ass 2.0 ypc - I don't care who you are -you're going to get benched...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #27
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well he didnt need to be rude about the guy - but he could have stayed more in touch with reality.

We aren't talking about a guy who had a great career with the Steelers and whose career talied off toward the end - we are talking about a guy who had about 8 games where he contributed something worthwhile to the team.

God knows how much he cost the Steelers per game.

We also arent talking about a guy who suffered a career ending injury - this was a guy who turned upto TC overweight and out of shape.

I didnt realise some of the salary cap was set by for guys who were 'well-liked' - I always thought football production should be a factor.

NM
We aren't going to agree on this, LITP, so I'll just leave it at opinion noted and respected.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #28
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

IMO, one of the main reasons that the steelers are such a successful organization is there ability to create and maintain a family atmoshpere.... the rooneys obviously have always treated their players with respect, dignity, and compassion. That point, moreso than any number of wins, titles, or HOF busts is why they are universally respected.

That probably has as much to do with me being a lifelong steeler fan. My father was a huge Browns fan.... he had his buddies over every sunday to watch sipe, ozzie & company.... they used to get on me hard about being a steelers fan.... My old man, god love him, would never let them say one bad word to me about the rooney family.... "Their good people", he used to say.....

Cowher means well when he stone-faced lies about players like Duce.... but again... the head coach of a championship team must be mentally focused at all times as to what he can do to give his team a chance to win.

Noll left the compassion to the rooneys and went out and focused on his team improving. At times he was a taskmaster.... at times he was distant to some of his players... but regardless of how they felt about him as a person.... they respected the fact that he was all business and he had one goal in mind.... WINNING.

Bill Cowher..... well he..... ummmm...... nevermind.....
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #29
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Noll was very bellichick-esque....... they only combined for 7 lombardi trophies and counting... but those cowher lovers on here keep telling yourself cowher can do no wrong after 1 SB win and 4 very peyton manning-like AFC championship games.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #30
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
Noll was very bellichick-esque....... they only combined for 7 lombardi trophies and counting... but those cowher lovers on here keep telling yourself cowher can do no wrong after 1 SB win and 4 very peyton manning-like AFC championship games.
Sorry myfriend, but I think you got it wrong. It should be:

Bellichick is Noll-esque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.