Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Ends Smith, Keisel justify Steelers' 3-4 defense

Ends Smith, Keisel justify Steelers' 3-4 defense
Thursday, December 07, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Derek Anderson could make his first NFL start at quarterback for the Cleveland Browns when they play tonight at Heinz Field. Traditionally, the Steelers' defense welcomes a new quarterback the way Dobermans do a pork chop.

Last December, it was Charlie Frye, then a rookie starter for the Browns, who felt the teeth of the Steelers' defense when he was sacked eight times. Sunday, it was Pittsburgh native Bruce Gradkowski, a rookie starter for Tampa Bay who was sacked five times and intercepted three times.

The Steelers have 34 sacks, fourth most in the AFC. Statistically, they are close to last season's pace when they rang up 47 sacks in 16 games and ahead of 2004 when they had 41.

Lately, though, it has been all or nothing for their pass rush. In their past eight games, they had no more than one sack in five of them. And there's a different feel about their pass rush this season because most of the pressure on the quarterback has come from the ends and not the outside linebackers.

The 3-4 defense, the kind the Steelers have run for more than 20 years, can make stars of linebackers and send ends into anonymity.

Not many ends who played for the Steelers the past two decades remain memorable today. Yet fans still wear jerseys of those who thrived in the 3-4, players such as Mike Merriweather, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Chad Brown, Jason Gildon and Joey Porter -- all former Pro Bowl outside linebackers.

"I think generally the outside linebackers get opportunities at a few more sacks," said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, the architect of the zone blitz.

It's the system. But in that same 3-4 defense today, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are fighting the system. They play defensive end, and that is where most of the pressure has come this season.

Smith and Keisel have combined for 7.5 sacks. That's fewer than the 12.5 outside linebackers Joey Porter and Clark Haggans have produced, but they dominate another statistic -- the quarterback hurry/pressure.

Steelers coaches keep that stat. Keisel, in his first season as a starter to replace departed Kimo von Oelhoffen at right end, leads the Steelers with 20 quarterback pressures. Smith is second with 15. Third is Porter -- with eight. Haggans has three.

"It's anything that affects the quarterback's ability to have clear vision, step and release the ball," LeBeau said, explaining what constitutes a quarterback pressure. "You're getting good pressure and altering what he wants to do, so he's not throwing like he would be on a 7-on-7 drill."

Defenders still prefer the old-fashioned sack, but a pressure can lead to other good things for a defense, such as an interception or incompletion.

"I'd rather have a sack, you know, but it's a statistic we keep here and any statistic is a good stat," Keisel said. "We're not supposed to get sacks."

Ends in the 4-3 defenses are the ones who get them, players such as Julius Peppers of Carolina, the NFL leader. Porter led NFL linebackers last season with 10.5 sacks. Three of his seven this season have come in the past three games.

Still, it has been Smith and Keisel who have provided the Steelers with most of the pressure this season. Smith has done it before.

Twice he has had eight sacks in a season, most recently in 2004 when he made the Pro Bowl. His 33 career sacks rank 11th in club history. Only one Steelers defensive end who played in the 3-4 the past two decades has more -- Keith Willis, with 59.

Smith also led the Steelers with 22 pressures last season (Porter was second with 15) and was second in 2004 with 22 to Porter's 25.

"I think Aaron Smith is one of the more underrated players in the National Football League and I felt that for some years," LeBeau said. "I just don't see him blocked very often."

Keisel, in his fifth NFL season, has exceeded expectations. The Steelers chose to keep him and let von Oelhoffen go in free agency in March.

"I would say for two years he was one of our most improved players and I think that growth has continued to exhibit itself," LeBeau said. "From the end of last year through our really strong stretch run there he was a tremendous pass rusher. He made some great sacks and forced plays in all those playoff games."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06341/744256-66.stm
Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,079 Times in 4,583 Posts
Default Re: Ends Smith, Keisel justify Steelers' 3-4 defense

how will they transition to the 4-3 if thats the direction the new coach wants to go? is it as easy as just throwing c. hoke in there with c. hampton? i would think it is.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:22 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

You bring up a good point. Do that, and we lose a IL. All of a sudden, there is more depth at the linebacker position. Hmmm.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
jbattenhouse
Water Boy

Member Number: 823

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. The Pats do it, or have done it in the past, but I would rate their DL above ours (Seymour if nobody else). To run a consistent 4-3, it takes players who fit the scheme. Our Def Ends are a little big for a traditional 4-3 setup, where a lot of the pressure comes from the Def. Ends. And a 3-4 gives you more options on the field and in blitzing situations. The problem is that our Def. Ends just aren't that dominant in run defenses, especially Kiesel. I am not knocking him, because he does have some good skills, but Kimo was stronger and seemingly better against the run, commanding double teams at times. I think we need a first round draft choice DE, provided it is a good one, to upgrade this position. And the LBs just are not as productive this year as they have been, adding to the ineffectiveness of the DEs.
jbattenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote