Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Smizik: Plenty of uncertainty surrounds Roethlisberger

Smizik: Plenty of uncertainty surrounds Roethlisberger
Sunday, July 31, 2005
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The largest question hovering over the Steelers' 2005 season is not: Can they duplicate their 15-1 record of 2004?

They can't.

Nor is it: Will his contractual situation cause Hines Ward to miss the entire season?

It won't.

No, the overriding question concerning the Steelers is: Do they have a quarterback who, despite games of absolute brilliance, remains a bit of a question mark?

They do.

Ben Roethlisberger became so big last season -- not just in Pittsburgh but across the country -- people tended to take their eye off his accomplishments. Big Ben could do no wrong. Not even when he performed like Little Ben.

He became more celebrity than quarterback, a role he seems to enjoy. He does not avoid the spotlight, even when his coach would prefer he do so.

If his role as celebrity is secure, his role as standout quarterback is less so. This is not to suggest he is doomed to second-season failure. It is to suggest there is reason to have doubts about whether he can duplicate -- or even come close to duplicating -- his success of 2004.

If any team should be wary of quarterback success turning sour, it's the Steelers. It has happened before to them -- recently and twice.

Had he the personality for it or if the public's infatuation with celebrity had been as great in the 1990s as it is today, Kordell Stewart's fame might have rivaled Roethlisberger's. Stewart caught the public fancy, nationally as well as locally, as Slash, the daring and athletic quarterback/receiver/running back in '95 and '96. When he took over as the starting quarterback in '97 and led the Steelers to the AFC title game, he was the toast of the town.

And then he was toast -- an indecisive, errant-throwing quarterback who was perceived as overseeing the downfall of the Steelers, who missed the playoffs in '98, '99 and 2000. His failure to live up to those first three seasons made him -- and this is not too strong a word -- hated by a small but sick segment of Steelers fans.

The emergence of Tommy Maddox, expected to be nothing more than a backup, as a daring and excellent passer was more surprising than Stewart's success. Given the chance to play in 2002 when coach Bill Cowher finally gave up on Stewart, Maddox was a sensation. His performance during the regular season was such that there was no thought of going back to Stewart, even after Stewart performed well when Maddox was hurt.

Rest of the article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05212/546388.stm
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Smizik: Plenty of uncertainty surrounds Roethlisberger

Ben is a different type of player than the Steelers are used too. We've dealt w/ Kordell and the media for so long that is was a roller coaster everytime he got in front of a camera. Then Tommy stepped in and he's a low key, average joe, kinda person, so that was cool.

Now Ben.. Superstar 1st round draft pick, rookie records out the wazoo, AFCG in his first year, and all the endorsements he can handle. It'll take some getting used too, and if he can juggle the spotlight and the field at the same time we'll be AOK. but it is something to watch.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I don't think Roethlisberger will be another Stewart at all. This guy seems to have a good head on his shoulders and hasn't left the humble attitude he has. I think he will do well in 2005. I doubt we will have the 15-1 record like last year, but I do expect the playoffs and hopefully a trip to the Super Bowl.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Look at Stewart's numbers for the 2001 season. They are very, and I mean very comparible to the ones Ben posted last year. Both of there performances are comparible for the AFC Championship. So, I wouldn't say that Ben won't be another Stewart. We only have one season of Ben to look at. How do we know this wasn't a fluke season? How do we know that if the running game shuts down this year that Ben won't as well?

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

This is a very typical off-season piece of journalism.
Simply stating that a QB in his second year has 'question marks' over him is almost going beyond the realms of stating the obvious.
How can any player possibly remove all the question marks about him in 16 games?
You got players like Bledsoe, Harrington, Pennington who have been around a lot longer period of time....and they still have plenty of 'question marks' surrounding them.

This sort of article has the sort of tone I would normally see written by an anti-Pats scribe - it doesn't actually SAY anything too bad - but it HINTS at a lot of stuff - like name dropping Kordell Stewart half way through the article.

The fact is that there are 'pundits' and fans out there who will never give Ben his due, regardless of performance, they will point to his running game and O-line - just like the same pundits point accusingly at our Defence when critiquing Tom Brady.

regards

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

LivingInThePast, you make some good points. I am no way anti-Ben. I am a Ben fan. But I am growing tired how it seems like most people have this guys' bust in the Hall of Fame already. I think he is obviously playing beyond his expectations his first year in the league. So, I hope you were not insuating that I am one of those who won't ever give Ben his due? Numbers don't lie. I'm just not ready to ride the bandwagon that he's the greatest thing going.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
LivingInThePast, you make some good points. I am no way anti-Ben. I am a Ben fan. But I am growing tired how it seems like most people have this guys' bust in the Hall of Fame already. I think he is obviously playing beyond his expectations his first year in the league. So, I hope you were not insuating that I am one of those who won't ever give Ben his due? Numbers don't lie. I'm just not ready to ride the bandwagon that he's the greatest thing going.
Hell no lambert - like I said I very much enjoyed your last two posts, both being backed up by factual evidence.
No, what I mean is, when a player exceeds his expectations alot of pundits are a bit pissed that they didnt forecast this player being so good - so they search for a negative aspects in order to justify the fact that they under-rated a player.

I totally agree with your assessment of his achievements to date, and Ben has certainly been helped by the fact that the Steelers are so solid from top to bottom as a franchise.

What I dislike is nit-picking articles that hint at the fact that player may be a little too taken with the limelight etc ...basically stuff that isn't objective and cant be judged properly - I regard this as poor journalism.

Regards

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
slashsteel

Member Number:

Can't compare the two. Kordell was never a read the D type of QB. All legs and no read & react skills, past the primary receiver. Ben on the other hand has some of "slash's" elusiveness, he can find the third and fourth option, as well as stay in the pocket. Basically the whole package. And he was in this offseason to build on last years success. So the media can stop the seek and destroy, "sophmore slump" mission, as I don't think that will be the case with Big Ben. I just don't see it.........