Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Porter ridicules Winslow, Browns

By The Associated Press
Friday, December 8, 2006

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter ridiculed the Browns following Pittsburgh's win Thursday night, calling tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name and saying the team is too soft to be a true rival to the Super Bowl champions.
With Willie Parker running for a franchise-record 223 yards, the Steelers outrushed the Browns 303-18 during a 27-7 victory Thursday night that was nearly as one-sided as Pittsburgh's 41-0 decision in Cleveland last December. The Steelers have won six in a row and 13 of 14 from their AFC North rivals.

"They kicked our rear ends," Browns receiver Joe Jurevicius said.

Porter couldn't have agreed more.

"They knew we were going to run the ball and they couldn't stop us," Porter said. "They want to be on our level and call it a rivalry, but I don't see it."

Porter said the Steelers (6-7) will keep on dominating the Browns (4-9) until they toughen up. Cleveland is 10-18 over the last two seasons and 14-30 over the last three, getting swept by Pittsburgh each season.

Porter was especially critical of Winslow, with whom he jawed for several minutes during the pregame warmups before Pittsburgh's 24-20 victory in Cleveland on Nov. 19. Later, Winslow and Porter both said they respected each other, but Porter repeatedly made fun of Winslow and called him names following Thursday's game.

Porter appeared to be upset by what he felt was a late block by Winslow against Steelers linebacker James Farrior during the second half, which prompted Porter to get into Winslow's face and yell at him.

"He came up and tried to shake my hand before the game, but he doesn't know me," Porter said. "You're not my friend, why are you trying to talk to me? He talks too much and doesn't do anything. He's weak, he's soft. He should move to wide receiver because he doesn't want to block anybody, he doesn't want to be a tight end."

Winslow, through a Browns spokesman, declined to comment on Porter's remarks. However, several Browns players also seemed upset by the team's play against Pittsburgh.

Last month, wide receiver Braylon Edwards said the Browns were coming after Pittsburgh to get back for last season's one-sided game in Cleveland. After this game, Edwards didn't sound as confident.

"We fight hard. It's just that there are a lot of other things that are bothering us, everybody in this whole organization," he said. "There's not one thing you can point at and say, 'You know, what if we can do this better, we'll win; if we can get this together, we'll win.' There are other things that are going on that I won't comment on that are affecting us."

Edwards recently threw a tantrum during the third quarter of a 30-0 loss to Cincinnati. He blamed losing his temper on his "passion for the game" and said some of his teammates don't display the same desire to win as he does.

After Thursday's game, he said, "It's typical Cleveland football right now. Sooner or later, we are going to have to come together."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Steelers' Porter ridicules Winslow, Browns

That's Joey being Joey I guess. Although if the clown was just trying to be respectful...
Of course, know one knows what really went down on the field. Oh well, we won and that's that.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Winslow was an ass-hat at Miami and he's an ass-hat at Cleveland. No surprise.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

With the way the league has been this year, you can expect Winslow to get a fine for that cheap shot on Farrior.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

It is obvious that the Steelers intimidated the Clowns on the field - other than Anderson and Andra Davis, they looked like pee-wee leaguers out there last night. Dropping passes, missing tackles, not running the right routes - their heads just weren't in the game. Sure didn't look like the team that came from behind to beat the Chiefs last Sunday. Personally, I think Peezy should just have shut his yap after the game - what purpose did it really serve? The Steelers beat the Browns on both sides of the ball and the score didn't even reflect how solidly they won. Leave it at that.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdownward View Post
With the way the league has been this year, you can expect Winslow to get a fine for that cheap shot on Farrior.
While it was a cheap shot, Farrior got his payback. The league shoud leave it at that. But the NFL is becoming soft in my opinion. Breath on a QB, 15 yard penalty and a fat fine.

As for Porter's comments, it's a rivalry. While I would have to think twice about Porter's comments if we played the.....................Chiefs or Vikings, the Browns are understandable. Winslow and Edwards have been yapping all season long. It was refreshing to hear somebody on this team fire back and set them in their place.........which is the cellar.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-08-2006 at 07:29 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

joey can talk like that because he is the best linebacker in the league.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
he is the best linebacker in the league.
Personally, I wouldn't go that far.

There are times Joey should just keep his mouth shut in my opinion, but against a mouth-yapping Browns team? Fire away.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
joey can talk like that because he is the best linebacker in the league.
On exactly what are you basing that statement?

The drop-off in the play of the outside LBs has been a major contributor to the problems on D this season.

Peezey should consider just playing the game - his constant yapping reminds me of Chuck Noll's great line about Hollywood Henderson when Henderson was talking trash about Bradshaw before SB XIII - empty barrels make the most noise.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Isn't that like saying there's a rivalry between windshields and bugs or hammers and nails??
lol, good point. I should have stated "a rivalry between the players" and not in the Win/Loss column.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-08-2006 at 09:49 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote