Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,877 Times in 4,503 Posts
Default Willie Parkers post game quotes

http://news.steelers.com/article/72672/ (i just keep thinking of after the saints game when cowher told him he almost broke the steelers record and willie casually said "well i'll just go get it next week")

What do you know about Frenchy Fuqua?

I really don't know too much about Frenchy. Coach Hoak talks about him all the time. I was young, and I really don't know too much about him.

What was the difference between tonight and the last three games?

Tonight we just went in there with a swagger. We knew these guys just hated our guts, and we just kind of played with a swagger. We wanted to do everything right. We knew we hadn't been playing well. The offensive line just played really well tonight.

Did you ever think that you weren't the right type of back for this offense?

When I first got here, I analyzed everything and I saw that over the years they really hadn't had speed backs ? it's always been power backs. I thought I'd need to make my niche somewhere else ? special teams or something like that. But one day I was like, no, I'm going to keep going at it and I'm going to keep going hard at running back. So I just work hard every day, every off-season, every play and every chance that I get to try to be that every-down back.

How does it feel to be the Steelers' all-time leader for single-game rushing yards?

The best thing that I got out of the game tonight was the win. The team just gathered around each other and just rallied to win. The accolades aren't really what I'm about. I'm not going to dwell on it ? it just happens.

You seem to really step up your game at home.

It's not that I step up my game at home, it's just that we happen to have the best part of the running games at home. I don't know why. It just happens that way.

Did you know you were close to the single-game rushing record?

Yes, Coach Cowher came to me and asked me if I wanted to run some more. I asked him why he asked me that, and he told me that I was eight yards away from the record. So I said, "Yeah, I want to run some more." He told me that when I got the record that he was going to pull me, so I said, "Well, you do what you have to do."

What did Coach Cowher say to you when you came off the field?

He told me how proud he was of me, and how far I've come. It's like a father and son relationship. He just embraced me and kind of got emotional.

There are still critics out there who say that you can't get the job done. Does a game like this help to answer your critics?

You're always going to have critics, no matter what you do. Michael Jordan was the best player of all time in basketball, and I'm sure he had a lot of critics. When I hear stuff like that, I just try to prove everybody wrong. Every time I go out, I try to give it my all. You never know who is in the stands seeing their first Steelers' game. I just want to leave them with an impression, when they leave that stadium, of "That Willie Parker, he's a tough player."

What was the difference between tonight and the last three games?

Some games you struggle. It's about how you bounce back. As an offensive unit, we really bounced back today.

Did you sense that the Browns were tiring as the game went on?

I wasn't really paying that much attention to Cleveland. It wasn't like it was when we were at their stadium. It was a different Cleveland team tonight. They jumped on us early in Cleveland. Tonight they stayed back, and we just kept pounding them. I didn't really sense that they were tired. I kept coming back laughing with my offensive linemen ? we were just having fun in the huddle. I didn't really focus on what they were doing, I was focused on what we were doing.

What does being the only Steelers player to rush for 200 yards twice mean to you?

It means a lot. I came a long way, and it means a lot.

The NFL single-game rushing record wasn't out of the realm of possibility. Did you consider that when you came out of the game?

Coach Cowher didn't come up to me and tell me that I could break the NFL record. He only talked about the Steelers record.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Willie Parkers post game quotes

damn, do I love sum Parker!!! Great job on the line yesterday!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Parker is a class act and a hard worker, I've liked him since day 1, and still believe that he is more powerful than people think. I wanted to mention something funny about Collinsworth talking about Parker:

1st Quarter: Collinsworth - The Steelers are really missing Jerome Bettis and that power running game

2nd quarter: Collinsworth - Parker is running well mainly because the offensive line is getting a huge push (true, but CC didn't to mention Willie's cuts and breaking of the arm tackles)

3rd quarer: Collinsworth - Willie is running hard, but you need a bigger back for this goal line situation (Willie runs it in on the next play for a td)

4th quarter: Collinsworth - Willie is alot thicker than you think. They were showing his guns, he's big
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Good job Willie!

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,877 Times in 4,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
Parker is a class act and a hard worker, I've liked him since day 1, and still believe that he is more powerful than people think. I wanted to mention something funny about Collinsworth talking about Parker:

1st Quarter: Collinsworth - The Steelers are really missing Jerome Bettis and that power running game

2nd quarter: Collinsworth - Parker is running well mainly because the offensive line is getting a huge push (true, but CC didn't to mention Willie's cuts and breaking of the arm tackles)

3rd quarer: Collinsworth - Willie is running hard, but you need a bigger back for this goal line situation (Willie runs it in on the next play for a td)

4th quarter: Collinsworth - Willie is alot thicker than you think. They were showing his guns, he's big
im gonna go out on a limb and say willie has about as many goal line rushing td's this year as jerome did last year. no one is gonna expect him to bowl over brian urlacher. but then again no one is really gonna expect linebackers to chase him down in the open field.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

To the O-Line...way to FREE WILLIE!!!

To CC - you're an idiot, please stay off any network affiliated to the great sport of football!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Quote:

I hate that dude

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Collinsworth and Gumble (sp?) are both idiots!, I almost turned the game on mute they didnt seem to have any idea what was going on out there at time.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

Quote:

I noticed that last night too. Christy Collinsworth didn't give Parker credit until he absolutely HAD to. He and gumby were just pissed off that the first two NFL network games haven't exactly been barn burners. Both AFC North rivalries, by the way and I rather enjoyed last night's game.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Classy quotes from Willie. And the part about Cowher and him having that father son moment was cool. The only troubling part for me was him saying the Jordan even had critics??? Not many my friend not many