Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Parker establishing himself as a top NFL running back

Parker establishing himself as a top NFL running back

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 9, 2006

After watching Willie Parker rush for 223 yards Thursday night, Steelers coach Bill Cowher called him one of the top running backs in the NFL.

Such a billing is about as remarkable as Parker was in shredding the Browns defense, considering the third-year pro had rather modest goals when he first reached the NFL.

"I thought I'd need to make my niche somewhere else -- special teams or something like that," said Parker, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2004. "But, one day, I was like, 'No, I'm going to keep going at it, and I'm going to keep going hard at running back.' "

Parker, who's rushed for 1,199 yards this season, isn't a prototypical Steelers running back. And all he has to do is listen to callers on local sports talk radio if he wants to be reminded of that.

The player that supposedly isn't big enough to be an every-down back and not powerful enough to consistently run between the tackles is nevertheless on track to rush for 1,475 yards, which would rank third on the Steelers' all-time single-season list.

Parker, assuming he doesn't get hurt, should gain more yards in 2006 than Franco Harris ever did in a season with the Steelers. And yet he knows questions about him will persist.

The 5-foot-10, 209-pounder is small by NFL running back standards, though his speed often makes up for his lack of size.

The chorus of doubters had grown increasingly louder during a three-game stretch in which Parker rushed for just 129 yards, including 22 in the Steelers' 27-0 loss at Baltimore.

Cowher may be one of his biggest supporters, but even he didn't foresee the kind of game Parker had against the Browns.

"I looked at the weather conditions and didn't think it would be a good night for Willie Parker," Cowher said. "How about that thinking going in? We were talking about (how) it might be a night for Najeh Davenport because you can't cut and do those things."

200 Club
Steelers running back Willie Parker rushed for 223 yards against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday at Heinz Field. He's rushed for more than 200 yards in a game twice -- a feat the likes of Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis never accomplished. Here's a list of Steelers running backs who have accomplished the feat:

Player / Yds. / Opponent / Year
Parker - 223 - Browns - 2006
Frenchy Fuqua - 218 - Eagles - 1970
Parker - 213 - Saints - 2006
John Henry Johnson - 200 - Browns -b1964

The bigger Davenport did run for 62 yards, which left Steelers fans, and probably Parker, wondering how close he would have come to the NFL single-game rushing record had he played the entire game.

Cowher took him out early in the fourth quarter after Parker broke the Steelers' single-game rushing record.

"Coach Cowher didn't come up and talk to me and tell me that I could break the NFL record," Parker said, smiling. "He only talked about the Steelers' record."

Given how easily and often he gashed the Browns defense, Parker probably would have made a run at the record, which is 295 yards set by Ravens running back Jamal Lewis.

Parker said he ran more decisively against the Browns than he had in previous games, and the offensive line provided plenty of openings.

"They weren't playing eight men in the box, and they weren't blitzing three-quarters of the game like other teams have been, and that's the difference," right tackle Max Starks said. "I'm sure teams are looking at that and saying we need to keep blitzing these guys, forcing them out of the run and into a passing situation."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_483402.html

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-09-2006 at 12:30 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote