Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Porter sorry for post-game comment, agent says

Porter sorry for post-game comment, agent says

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 9, 2006

Joey Porter's agent said the outspoken linebacker regrets calling Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name for homosexuals after the Steelers' 27-7 win over the Browns on Thursday night at Heinz Field.

Porter, upset about what he said was a late hit by Winslow on Steelers linebacker James Farrior, lashed out at the Browns tight end after the game.

"He realizes that he picked the wrong word," said Jeff Sperbeck, who spoke with Porter on Friday. "It was not intended to offend any group or anybody."

When asked if he thinks the NFL will fine Porter, Sperbeck said, "We don't expect them to."

Porter declined to comment.

What discipline, if any, the league takes against Porter probably won't be known until next week. NFL spokesman Steve Alic said, "The comments are being reviewed."

The hit that angered Porter occured at the end of a play in the fourth quarter. Winslow threw a block, knocking an unsuspecting Farrior to the turf. Winslow was called for a personal foul, and the Browns were penalized 15 yards.

"It was late; that's what (expletives) do," Porter said. "He's a (expletive). He wants to be tough, but he really is soft."

A spokesman for the country's largest gay civil rights organization condemned Porter's comments.

"Using disgusting anti-gay rhetoric to prove one's self goes against the great traditions of professional football that many in our country, gay and lesbian Americans included, have always loved," said Brad Luna of Human Rights Campaign, which is based in Washington D.C. "This kind of language has no place in our society, the NFL included."

The Steelers had no comment on Porter's remarks.

Winslow was made aware of what Porter said after the game, but he declined to comment.

Porter refused to shake hands with the brash Winslow before the game and after it.

Porter has often traded trash talk with opposing players on the field and maintained good relations, if not friendships, with them off of it. That's the case with Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson.

"I thought it was going to be like that (with Winslow)," Porter said. "I'm good for all the playing hard; after the game, we shake hands. But I'm not a fan of cheap shots. You don't take a cheap shot like that at nobody."

Sperbeck said Porter's remarks were made in the heat of the moment.

"He was irritated very much by the fact that Winslow showed no remorse after a cheap shot at Farrior," Sperbeck said. "It appeared to them that Winslow was glad he did it."

The Steelers have beaten the Browns in 12 of their past 13 meetings, leading Porter to take a couple of shots at Cleveland.

"Truthfully, I don't think they can handle the challenge," Porter said. "It's not a rivalry. It probably was way back before I got here, but now, it's just a one-sided thing."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_483393.html
Old 12-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,624 Times in 2,869 Posts
Default Re: Porter sorry for post-game comment, agent says

joeys right. winslow is a manbag.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Winslow is just a poor sport......Joey would be right there shaking his hand if we lost ....c-mon....we're 6-7 ... don't you think Joey has eaten much crow this season??????????
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: Porter sorry for post-game comment, agent says

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
joeys right. winslow is a manbag.
Couldn't have said it better myself Bro.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
"Using disgusting anti-gay rhetoric to prove one's self goes against the great traditions of professional football that many in our country, gay and lesbian Americans included, have always loved," said Brad Luna of Human Rights Campaign, which is based in Washington D.C. "This kind of language has no place in our society, the NFL included."
Huh?
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I am not for hating people... anyone...

However... Do any of you get scared once in a while about what is happening to freedom of speach?

I really don't want words like ni$$er and f#g being used... No reason to be an idiot about it. However, I am just getting a little afraid at the censorship of certain speach, while allowing other speach to go on under the guise of the first amendment...

Sorry... probably wrong forum for the comment... but I just had to spout...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Though I feel Joey should have zipped his lip after the game (it was over - we won), this is ridiculous. I'm sure these players say a lot worse to each other when they are glaring at each other across the line. It's all part of the heat of the moment and the intensity of the game! Considering some of the trash that the NFL has allowed to hang around in recent years (drunks, druggies, criminals) - if Porter is fined, that is pitiful. Stop the pussifying in the NFL!!!!

Geez - the gay community would really be upset with the Brits. A "fag" is their slang term for a cigarette.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Though I feel Joey should have zipped his lip after the game (it was over - we won), this is ridiculous. I'm sure these players say a lot worse to each other when they are glaring at each other across the line. It's all part of the heat of the moment and the intensity of the game! Considering some of the trash that the NFL has allowed to hang around in recent years (drunks, druggies, criminals) - if Porter is fined, that is pitiful. Stop the pussifying in the NFL!!!!

Geez - the gay community would really be upset with the Brits. A "fag" is their slang term for a cigarette.
We have a real problem over here with people 'smoking fags' - but Govt legislation is helping to right terrible wrong

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
SwedishSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I am not for hating people... anyone...

However... Do any of you get scared once in a while about what is happening to freedom of speach?

I really don't want words like ni$$er and f#g being used... No reason to be an idiot about it. However, I am just getting a little afraid at the censorship of certain speach, while allowing other speach to go on under the guise of the first amendment...

Sorry... probably wrong forum for the comment... but I just had to spout...
Actually, no...I dont. Freedom of speech is just that...freedom of speech. I donno, maybe I'm not soft enough; but I think people who are against certain words should just ignore them...if they guy down the street feels comfortable using a word you dont, then why should he not use it just because you don't want him to? If you really get down to it, all words are nothing but that; words. Ignore it.
SwedishSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:59 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,799 Posts

No need for Porter to apologize for being an idiot
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote