Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Porter's latest put-down out of line

Porter's latest put-down out of line

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 11, 2006

Joey Porter's in trouble again.

Porter talks a lot. Sometimes, he talks enough for the entire Steelers team.

There are times when Porter talks too much -- like late Thursday night, when he called Browns tight end Kellen Winslow a derogatory name to describe someone's sexual orientation.

Sometimes when players talk a lot -- and Porter can trash talk with them best of them -- they're trying to motivate their teammates.

This wasn't the case.

Porter crossed the line of good taste.

Apologize, Joey. You were wrong -- dead wrong.

Why waste valuable time and energy verbally jousting with a third-year player on a terrible team who did next to nothing in the Steelers 27-7 win?

Save your rants for Carolina wide receivers Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson, who face the Steelers on Sunday.

Let's be honest. The Browns just aren't that good. Neither are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Steelers beat the Browns twice and Tampa Bay for their last three wins and are starting to feel good about themselves again.

The Steelers feed off Porter's energy the way Kobayashi devours hot dogs. He's their designated motivator.

Coach Bill Cowher turns Porter loose because Porter doesn't mind taking one for the team.

Porter couldn't care less what we think of him.

But there's a time and place for everything.

Porter's timing was all wrong. Not because he ripped Winslow. But for the way he ripped him.

Porter's tirade stemmed from Winslow's blocking linebacker James Farrior from behind at the end of a play. Farrior had relaxed and could have been seriously injured. Winslow received a personal foul penalty and incensed Porter.

Don't think for a minute that Farrior's upset at the way Porter came to his defense. That's what teammates are supposed to do. Porter is a great teammate.

But the man does has a track record for controversy.

The week prior to Super Bowl XL, Porter ripped Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens (what is it with Porter and opposing tight ends, anyway?) following Stevens' remarks that the Seahawks were going to spoil Jerome Bettis' homecoming to Detroit.

There are two major differences between how Porter handled that situation and this one.

Last year, the Steelers were a red-hot playoff team on the verge of winning a championship. Porter, remember, was having a fabulous postseason that included making Colts quarterback Peyton Manning run for his life, after promising to do just that before the teams played. Given the way Porter and the Steelers were playing, Porter was well within his rights to boast.

This year, the Steelers are in danger of missing the playoffs. And Porter hasn't been the same dominant player. As a result, Porter's words don't carry the same weight.

Second, while Porter attacked Stevens' manhood, he didn't insult an entire group of people like he did with Winslow. He didn't have to, because he was on top of his game and didn't have to resort to cheap insults.

Porter is 29, an eight-year NFL veteran who has been to three Pro Bowls and ranks fourth in franchise history with 60 sacks. He's going to continue speaking his mind, because Cowher has empowered him to do so. It's too late to turn back now.

Porter is one of Cowher's all-time favorite players. Cowher needed Porter to win a Super Bowl. Now that he's won one, Cowher has no choice but to allow Joey to keep being Joey. Cowher could have done without Porter's latest meltdown, but in the coach's own words, it is what it is.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_483597.html
Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Porter's latest put-down out of line

Quote:
The week prior to Super Bowl XL, Porter ripped Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens (what is it with Porter and opposing tight ends, anyway?) following Stevens' remarks that the Seahawks were going to spoil Jerome Bettis' homecoming to Detroit.
Maybe its something to do with the fact the tightends are typically the guys who Porter, as an OLB, is expected to cover?

Hows that sound Mr. Harris?

This story seems to have alot of legs - but to my mind there are alot worse things said in pro-sports than calling someone a 'fag'.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

An "untimely" comment....ok. An "insensitive" comment....I'll give you that. But a "meltdown"??????? Give me a break.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Was joey wrong??? abolutely

Does this reporter make a federal case of this if the steelers are 10-2??? Probably not.

Is Kellen Winslow a cheap shot artist who runs his mouth after being nothing more than the safety valve for a team who cant pass protect?? No question about it.

Hey Kellen the NFL is a lonely place for an offensive player to be with nothing but enemies around you.... thats a lonely scary place.... good luck crossing the middle for the next few yrs
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Maybe Mr Harris is a fag
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

What!
A player called another player a derogatory name during a game of Football!!!

My Goodness, what has the Game of Football become!

For shame.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Not that I approve of Mr. Porter's comments but it's not like Joey hasn't been down this path before.
And if this were a comment said anywhere else, it would have not only gone under the radar, it never would have gotten wings.
It amazes me, that the media take everything that athletes say and put it on a pedestool for the world to analyze.
How many of us or how many other fans use the same derogatory name when speaking to others? And how many times is it posted in the newspaper?
Again, I don't agree with the way Porter handled himself, but sometimes we all say things that shouldn't be said...does the man need to be crucified over it?

I know, I know, some will say that he offended people. Yes, he probably did. How many "groups" of people get offended every day because of something that was said or done by none other than a "star". I honestly believe that this world was a much better place before PC became common place!

How many "groups" do you think Jack Lambert would have offended if he played today?

I went a step further. There is a guy here at my work who is a homosexual and I asked him, "If a pro athlete used the word "fag" would you be offended?" He responded, that he's not offended by the word and that people just need to get over what others say, and it's usually taken out of context. So maybe people aren't offended and the media is speaking for a "group" of people they shouldn't be!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04

Last edited by stlrtruck; 12-11-2006 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Further Steps
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
This year, the Steelers are in danger of missing the playoffs. And Porter hasn't been the same dominant player. As a result, Porter's words don't carry the same weight.
If that is the case, DROP IT ALREADY.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,584 Posts

i really dont know if the homosexual community is that outraged. i mean do the browns and the cleveland community get in an uproar every time a player says

"we played like shit",
"you aint shit", or
"hes a piece of shit" ???
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
Maybe Mr Harris is a fag
There probably are several people you think you know a lot better than Mr. Harris who actually meet the definition of that vulgarity but you do not know it.

Just a thought when you start playing that card to insult people.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote