Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default San Diego Chargers??

The San Diego Chargers are sitting at 11-2, clinched the AFC West Title and now have the number one playoff seed with three games left in the season.

The question is do you think:

They will remain hot through the playoffs and go to the Superbowl or are they peaking too soon and flatten out in the playoffs and get knocked out??.....and will the spectre of "Martyball" some how find a way to rear it's ugly head during the Bolts playoff run??

The Chargers are reminding me a bit of the '04 Steelers.........finding ways to win during the regular season with a young QB and looking unstoppable prior to going into the playoffs.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,377 Posts
Default Re: San Diego Chargers??

You never know, but Chargers are scoring a lot more than the 2004 Steelers did down the stretch - that 2004 team peaked in late October/early November and Ben was starting to have issues around this time. Big reality check will be the Seattle road game coming up.

In terms of Steelers teams that peaked too soon, I recall the 1997 and 2001 teams as those that peaked in early to mid-December before crashing in January.

It will be interesting to see if Marty takes the clamps off his offense in the playoffs like Cowher did last year or once agin tightens up and plays not to lose.

My current SB match-up of choice is Chargers-New Orleans (Brees versus the team that dumped him). I like the Chargers, but if ever a city deserves a SB for what it has gone through it is New Orleans.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

San Diego are pretty much out on their own at the minute, what they did to a decent Denver team yesterday was pretty impressive.

However, they are playing with a huge amount of emotional intensity and the fans seem crazy pumped - the LT thing was like they won the SB rather than achieved a single individual record.

There is a question as to how long they can keep this emotional high going for - to maintain that for the next 7 weeks is going to be very tough.

Peyton Manning has been a monster in terms of regular season performance the last few years and has then faded in the playoffs - maybe something similar will happen to LT.

Rivers part in this San Diego revival shouldnt be under estimated - he shows a great deal of poise on the ball and converts some very key plays on 3rd down.

Everything is going perfectly for this team, it will; be interesting to see how they deal with adversity when it rears its head.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You never know, but Chargers are scoring a lot more than the 2004 Steelers did down the stretch - that 2004 team peaked in late October/early November and Ben was starting to have issues around this time. Big reality check will be the Seattle road game coming up.

In terms of Steelers teams that peaked too soon, I recall the 1997 and 2001 teams as those that peaked in early to mid-December before crashing in January.

It will be interesting to see if Marty takes the clamps off his offense in the playoffs like Cowher did last year or once agin tightens up and plays not to lose.

My current SB match-up of choice is Chargers-New Orleans (Brees versus the team that dumped him). I like the Chargers, but if ever a city deserves a SB for what it has gone through it is New Orleans.
i think that would be the most fun superbowl to watch and i would actually feel bad for either team that wound up the loser. you gotta think the media is really gonna starty hyping this up come playoff teams and these 2 will achieve darling status like the colts last year. this will piss off all the other playoff teams and probably serve as motivation to knock one or both of them off like we did the colts last year.

hard to say about reverting back to martyball. the chargers have really only dont this once this season. i think with the roll LT is on (26 td's in the last 9 games) they just keep doing what they have been doing. amazing is the relative success the steelers have had in slowing LT down their past 3 matchups.

as good as brees is playing with the saints can you imagine if SD still had him? sure his numbers wouldnt be quite as high, but holy cow! top rb, fb, qb, te and merriman possible defensive mvp candidate? thats alot of star power. anyways the chargers seem to be steamrolling like the rams did in 1999. other than last year i think saints sd would be the best sb matchup and game since rams/ titans.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 12-11-2006 at 02:52 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Right now our only enemie is Martyball. Our only major flaw is Marty himself.

KEEP THE HEADSET AWAY FROM MARTY!!!
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

If the Chargers want to win in the playoffs, they need to keep playing hard football now. Don't pull what the Colts did last season and rest all your starters for almost a month.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
If the Chargers want to win in the playoffs, they need to keep playing hard football now. Don't pull what the Colts did last season and rest all your starters for almost a month.
Doubt they will do that - the Colts had home field wrapped up so early last year they felt the could "get away" with pulling their starters with a month to go. Even at 11-2, the Chargers still have both the Colts and Ratbirds breathing down their necks at 10-3, and the Ratbirds have the tiebreaker over them should they wind up with identical records.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
Right now our only enemie is Martyball. Our only major flaw is Marty himself.

KEEP THE HEADSET AWAY FROM MARTY!!!
I think you're right. As much as I hate to say this, I hope you guys finally get the monkey off your back this year and win a Superbowl. The Chargers are a very good team... it would almost be a shame to see them choke in the playoffs because their coach is way too conservative...again.

Having said that, part of me still wants to see them choke!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
I think you're right. As much as I hate to say this, I hope you guys finally get the monkey off your back this year and win a Superbowl. The Chargers are a very good team... it would almost be a shame to see them choke in the playoffs because their coach is way too conservative...again.

classy post....the Chargers are a very good team but everyone has the same question. Are they peaking too soon? I think they are playing great football and that's all that matters.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

Can you please just say "Chargers suck" you're really starting to scare me.

Kidding. Thanks for the support and great posts.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote