Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
kyflash15
Water Boy

Member Number: 3187
Default Tall WR in Pitt

OK i have been thinking about the steelers draft since starting 2-6... i have read a lot about who we should get, and the more i think about, the more i think we need a tall receiver. i think big ben is a great QB, but i dont he has a lot of weapons right now.. and with ward getting older i think its important that we bring in some good receivers so we dont have to worry about this for awhile. We have a young QB, young back, and a lil more young receivers allows us to focus more on lines in next years draft. I say we draft a big wr, and some dbs this year...what do you all think?
kyflash15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,046 Times in 391 Posts
Default Re: Tall WR in Pitt

I think Holmes and Washington are both coming along pretty nicely - for my money, OL is priority one going into April's draft, but DB is definitely another area of need.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Santonio Holmes is explosive enough for now....I think 76 is right, Offensive line, DBs, and may I add linebackers, are our priorities.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Well we have Walter Young and he is 6'4, has great hands but has been mostly in part having route running troubles. And that is what has held him back this last 2 years. Young played great in NFLE and he has got better at his route and timing patterns. Who knows he might actually pan out. We have the TE's and they are very big targets but we have not used them like last year. Its more decision and not using are big targets right. I am not sold on wasting a draft pick yet on another WR in early rounds.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
Well we have Walter Young and he is 6'4, has great hands but has been mostly in part having route running troubles. And that is what has held him back this last 2 years. Young played great in NFLE and he has got better at his route and timing patterns. Who knows he might actually pan out. We have the TE's and they are very big targets but we have not used them like last year. Its more decision and not using are big targets right. I am not sold on wasting a draft pick yet on another WR in early rounds.
Wow good call....I completely forgot about Young.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Bring in some good receivers? Well do we need a tall receiver or a good one? Are you suggesting that only tall WR's are good ones?

Steve Smith's height is 5' 9'' and he's pretty good. Hines Ward is a good wide receiver but that is my opinion, not necessarily yours since he is only six foot tall.

Playing wide receiver isn't about height. Speed, experience, route running, reach, bravery, ability to block, balance, intelligence, all play a factor.

Our receivers haven't been much of a weapon primarily because Ward hasn't been 100%. Holmes is still learning, he was running the wrong routes earlier in the season. Nate's routes aren't precise and he has dropped more than a few. Wilson has never been anything but a slightly less than average NFL WR, he won't ever been anything more than a #3 WR on most teams.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook View Post
Our receivers haven't been much of a weapon primarily because Ward hasn't been 100%. Holmes is still learning, he was running the wrong routes earlier in the season. Nate's routes aren't precise and he has dropped more than a few. Wilson has never been anything but a slightly less than average NFL WR, he won't ever been anything more than a #3 WR on most teams.
Not to mention our OL has forgotten how to pass block at times all season - Ben's been getting clobbered on a disturbingly regular basis.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
boss hog
Banned

Member Number: 3870

no need for a tall wr....just throw more to heath miller and everything would be just fine........holmes is badass and him and ward will be badass together next year, and if we can resign washington then we'll be set.....no need for a tall wr, they are overrated.....so again throw the ball the heath more and everything would be all good
boss hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss hog View Post
....no need for a tall wr, they are overrated....
Plaxico Burress. 'Nuff said.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
SteelerCuse
Water Boy

Member Number: 4201

First and foremost we need a friggen OLB that can rush the QB. After that we need some new blood at tackle. After all of that.......... we can worry about a WR with height. Let's not get the cart before the horse.