Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Bungles Put On Notice By Commissioner

It's about time: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061213/...dell_interview

NEW YORK - NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is trying to end the Cincinnati Bengals' continuing problems with the law.

Goodell called Bengals president Mike Brown on Monday to offer his help. Eight Bengals players have been arrested this year — three since the commissioner visited with the team Sept. 20.

"Obviously, when you have incidents that don't reflect well on the National Football League you have to deal with that aggressively," Goodell said Tuesday during an interview with The Associated Press. "Our players and coaches are seen at a higher level by the public."

The commissioner asked Brown if there was anything he could do but also sent the message that the Bengals had to adjust their actions. It's just what Goodell, who succeeded Paul Tagliabue on Sept. 1, told the players during his visit to Cincinnati nearly three months ago, part of a series of meetings with all 32 teams.

His actions backed up the tough talk.

Five days after meeting with Goodell, linebacker Odell Thurman was arrested on a DUI charge. Goodell responded by changing a four-game suspension Thurman already was serving into a yearlong suspension. Wide receiver Chris Henry, who has been arrested four times in the last 13 months, later was suspended for two games by Goodell for ongoing misconduct.

Last weekend, the Bengals returned to the police blotter when cornerback Deltha O'Neal was arrested on a DUI charge, just days after rookie receiver Reggie McNeal was charged with resisting arrest outside a Houston night club.

"Unfortunately, I can't hold their hands 24/7, but it is embarrassing," said coach Marvin Lewis after the latest arrests. "It's an embarrassment to our organization, to our city and to our fans. These things socially are not right."
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Bungles Put On Notice By Commissioner

Help?? That means what?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Not sure what he meant by "help," exactly. NFL-supplied bail bondsman? NFL-supplied parole officer, perhaps? What caught my eye about the article was that the commisioner told Mike Brown in no uncertain terms that they need to get their act together as a team, and I applaud him for that.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Supply them with more booze and weed and hire some hookers and that's what you call help!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,959 Times in 1,846 Posts

Use the locker room for house arrest.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
Use the locker room for house arrest.
...Or the bench.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

O'Neal pleads not guilty; Lewis embarrassed
ESPN.com news services

Marvin Lewis is embarrassed.

The Cincinnati Bengals head coach said so on Monday when asked about the eighth arrest of a team member in 2006 -- cornerback Deltha O'Neal, who was charged Saturday with drunken driving and was inactive for Sunday's win over the Oakland Raiders.

"It's unfortunate I have to spend time talking about this and that we, as a group, have had to spend time talking about this," Lewis said. "I don't appreciate that. We have a lot of good things going on and unfortunately, these things kind of rear their ugly head and get in our way."

O'Neal pleaded not guilty to the charge Monday in Clermont County (Ohio) District Court. Police said O'Neal, who was stopped at a traffic checkpoint, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.10, above the state limit of 0.08.

O'Neal, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, had missed the team's last three games with a shoulder injury, but was expected to start before the incident.

"Unfortunately, I can't hold their hands 24/7, but it is embarrassing. It's an embarrassment to our organization, to our city, and to our fans," Lewis said Monday. "Hopefully, our young people who are fans understand there are certain things in our society that are unacceptable."

"I think we should feel good around here that our local law enforcement has taken steps to get people who drink and drive off the road," Lewis added. "I think that's a good thing for us who live here. Our guys have to understand that. You cannot drink and drive. You tarnish your image. You tarnish your reputation. It doesn't go away easily."

O'NealDeltha O'Neal is the eighth Bengal to be arrested since December 2005. Here's a list of the players and their problems:

Player / Pos. / Charges
Deltha O'Neal CB Driving while intoxicated
Reggie McNeal WR Resisting arrest
Matthias Askew DT Resisting arrest
Eric Steinbach G Boating under the influence
Chris Henry WR x-Total of five
Frostee Rucker DE Spousal battery
A.J. Nicholson LB Burglary, grand theft
Odell Thurman LB Driving while intoxicated

x-unlawful transaction with a minor (three counts), speeding, operating a vehicle under the influence, felony possession of a concealed firearm, possession of marijuana

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2694886
Old 12-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Help?? That means what?
It means AA meetings on Monday and parole officers on Tuesday! All at the practice facility.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #9
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
O'Neal pleads not guilty; Lewis embarrassed
ESPN.com news services

"It's unfortunate I have to spend time talking about this and that we, as a group, have had to spend time talking about this," Lewis said. "I don't appreciate that. We have a lot of good things going on and unfortunately, these things kind of rear their ugly head and get in our way."
Yeah...it's really annoying when a lack of moral fiber, character and integrity pops up to the surface and we ACTUALLY have to LOOK at it. You mean somebody really cares about these things???

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,287 Times in 3,266 Posts

Empty talk - the players could care less if Goodell fines ownership and any suspensions are limited by the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

If Goodell wants to fix this he should send an open letter to Upshaw asking to reopen the CBA to deal with recurring misconduct by members of a particular team - if a player knows he potentially faces a stiffer suspension because of screw-ups by his teammates you might find the players then have an incentive to keep each other in line.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote