Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Cowher: decision must be made on coaching future

Cowher: decision must be made on coaching future
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher admitted for the first time today that he must make a decision soon after the season whether to continue to coach the Steelers or retire to his new home in Raleigh, N.C.

Cowher, in a conference telephone call with media in Charlotte, N.C., was asked if he would be stepping aside at the end of the year.

"There will be something at the end of the year," Cowher said. "I'll sit back and put a lot of thought into it and make a decision accordingly. Right now my focus is purely on trying to find a way to win these last three games and see where that takes us."

Cowher previously has acknowledged that he's taking things year by year as a coach. Speculation on his future with the Steelers began after it became public in March that he and his wife, Kaye, had purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh.

Kaye and their youngest daughter, Lindsay, have since moved to Raleigh. Lindsay is a sophomore in high school. Bill Cowher visited them this past weekend after the Steelers played on Thursday night. It's at least the third time he has visited Raleigh during this season -- once after the Thursday night season opener and again after the team's bye weekend of Oct. 1.

Cowher told his Charlotte audience that he planed on making his home in Raleigh, eventually.

"There's no question about that," said Cowher, a Pittsburgh native who attended North Carolina State. "Obviously, my wife and I both grew up in the Raleigh area. We love the Raleigh area. My daughter is going to school there now and that's definitely from our long-term respect what our viewing was. That was the basis of that."

Asked if the Steelers' outcome this season might affect his decision, Cowher answered it would not.

"No. A lot of deep thought will be put into it. It won't be a knee-jerk reaction. It will be something that is well thought out and a decision will be made accordingly."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06347/745964-100.stm
Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,681 Posts
Default Re: Cowher: decision must be made on coaching future

"No. A lot of deep thought will be put into it. It won't be a knee-jerk reaction. It will be something that is well thought out and a decision will be made accordingly."

Think about this folks - you need to decide whether to stay in a multi-million dollar a year job, which for added pressure has an additional significant impact on your personal life, while needing to make that decision probably within the next month, and you are going to start thinking seriously about it 18 days from now?

Give me a break - either this is a high stakes game of contract chicken with the Rooneys or Cowher already has decided he is gone, since I do not believe the Rooneys will let "will he stay or will he go?" hang over the 2007 season.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

No, remember? Cowher is permitted to make his decision w/e he wants. He's "earned that". Screw the future of this team, one man is more important.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Interesting, why couldn't he say something like this months ago? Why wait till now?

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Interesting, why couldn't he say something like this months ago? Why wait till now?
The million dollar question.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

It seems as if Cowher is a little more forthcoming with the Carolina media than he is with their Pittsburgh counterparts.

You have to wonder at some of the questions though - "Do you think the outcome of this season will affect your decision?" - what are the expecting to hear at this point?

An admission that a postseason appearance would have made him stay?

I think the realisty is that he has made a decision (to leave) but we wont hear it until the season has finished.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Found this part of the ESPN article just a tad bit interesting......

"Some close to the organization have suggested that Cowher has not demonstrated the same passion for his job this year as he did in previous seasons."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696865
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #8
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

what concerns me the most is that the HEAD COACH of this football team is that on one hand he says he is gonna give this decision a lot of thought.... really????....

cause I think he has given absolutely zero thought to the possibility that he might become a distraction to his own team by *****-footing around with a bunch of "yes men" reporters in the steel city who "cowher" (no pun intended) down at the feet of the great, all knowing Billy cowher.

He feeds his very fragile ego by refusing to address his coaching future.... he refuses to address it to the media..... his players at no point have hinted any sort of discussion that they have had with him personally or as a team as to whether or not he is gonna stick around and help clean up the mess he took part in making..... does he do this so he can hear them (reporters, media, etc) beg him to stay?????

I hope he stays.... but on the condition that he signs a long term deal and stops his attitude of, "I am on a year to year basis as a coach now."

What balls on this guy!!!!.... year to year basis???? What does he mean exactly.... his future as a head coach involves no planning for the future??? He is never gonna attempt to think ahead?????

Oh but I forgot, and I am sure all of the sheep on here will attempt to remind me, so I will say it for them....here goes:
"He won a super bowl baaaaaaaaa, nobody can question him baaaaaaaa, hall of famer baaaaaaaaaaa, were not worthy baaaaaaaaaa, sufferin sucotash baaaaaaaaaa, h[B]ow dare the rooneys not extend my contract while two years still remain on it[/B] baaaaaaaaaaaaa, they must treat me and the players completely differently baaaaaaaaa, but please always refer to me as a players coach baaaaaaa, did I mention he won a SB? baaaaaaaaaa, did i mention that he has neither been wrong in the past nor is he wrong now baaaaaaaaaa
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,681 Posts

"Some close to the organization" could be the cleaning lady, but it is my impression Art Rooney II and Cowher are not best buddies. Although Art is the alleged head of the franchise, Ed.B. of the P-G has reported Cowher has been meeting with Dan Rooney during the last several weeks, after contract negotiations handled by AJR II this past summer went nowhere.

One apparent missstaement in the ESPN article is the impression Cowher must work 1 more year for the Steelers or the Steelers can seek compensation from any team that hires him. Everything else I have read states that the Steelers get compensation only if Cowher coaches somewhere else in 2007, which ain't happening; if he sits out 2007 he obviously does not get paid, but he then can sign anywhere he wants in 2008 or after with the Steelers not having any contractual right to seek draft choices from Cowher's new team as compensation for releasing Cowher from his contract.

The sit out and do some TV, followed by a mega-bucks contract somewhere else, still seems the likely scenario to me.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

I feel this is worth repeating........ he was disappointed because they didnt extend his deal with TWO YEARS remaining on his existing contract!!!!!

this is an organization that has strict policies on holdouts and contract disputes.

this is an organization that has let fixtures in the franchises history walk because they wanted to be paid exactly what their market value was throughout the rest of the league.

Now did I want them to throw a ton of cash at Jason Gildon at the end of his good years when younger talented LB's were there???? NO WAY!!!

But Bill has got some big ones on him to call himself a players coach while he whines cause he wants better treatment from the organization than the players have EVER gotten here.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote