Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-15-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942
Default I bet you didn't know ...

... that the Steelers are only 1 of 2 teams in the entire league to be ranked in the top 10 in both offense and defense (6th and 9th, respectively, for the steelers) ... the other team you might ask??? ... the one that most people feel to be the best in the league, the sandiego chargers (ranked 5th and 7th in offense and defense) ... just thought that was pretty interesting.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188
Default Re: I bet you didn't know ...

Turnovers kill.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

That's a really good stat actually...put that next to our turnover ratio and it is the reason for our losing record.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

i agree about the turnovers. our o and d rankings would suggest we are a top 5 team.

our turnover margin is just above oakland, cleveland, detroit (who have the 3 worst records in the league). this would suggest were a bottom 5 team.

put them together and you get exactly where we are at. a run of the mill, middle of the pack, average team. the turnovers do kill.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

In responding to that stat today, Ed.B. of the P-G made a good point - leaving aside the need to account for turnover margin in any measurement, if you added in special teams return yardage to both sets of stats, adding Steelers return yardage to the offensive yardage stats and opponents' return yardage to the defensive yardage stats would probably cause the Steelers yardage rankings to drop like a rock this year.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

agreed tony.... i highly doubt or guys just all of the sudden forgot how to or the importance of holding on to the ball....

maybe a lack of preperation perhaps.....

Or a lack of focus..... just maybe

Or a lack of concentration on the task at hand.....

Distracted is a good word to describe a talented football team like this surrounded by the likes of cleveland, detroit, arizona, etc. on the turnover ratio rankings.

But in case you were wondering a recent headline in the PG was..... Cowher's future not open subject.

Good work bill
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Met this old guy the other day.... nice man.... steelers fan.... offered this piece of wisdom on Coach Cowher

he didnt cause em to drop em... but he aint helping em hold on to it.... whats he care what the newspaper writers think???.... lie to em if you have to.... i am sure it wouldnt be the first or the last.

I though he made quite a bit of sense
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

Lose the Turnover battle....
Lose the Game.

Simple.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
agreed tony.... i highly doubt or guys just all of the sudden forgot how to or the importance of holding on to the ball....

maybe a lack of preperation perhaps.....

Or a lack of focus..... just maybe

Or a lack of concentration on the task at hand.....

Distracted is a good word to describe a talented football team like this surrounded by the likes of cleveland, detroit, arizona, etc. on the turnover ratio rankings.

But in case you were wondering a recent headline in the PG was..... Cowher's future not open subject.

Good work bill
maybe the guys never knew the importance of holding onto the ball...

why hasnt cowher taken the heat for the exact same thing happening last year?

sure we all can think of atleast 4 games the steelers gave away this season but why wasnt cowher blamed for the 4 we gave away last season?

randle el hands the ball to the pats.

t. maddox hands the ball to the jags.

hines ward kicks the ball up to the ravens.

ben throws 3 int's to the bungles and ST allows a 90 kick return.

(not to mention the game where willie had 2 fumbles and was promptly yanked)

no one even suggested cowher was mailing it in last year and they were coming off a 15-1 season.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

T.H. - I recall Cowher taking a huge amount of heat for not yanking Maddox from the Jags game after Maddox was horrible from the first possession.

But the obvious short answer as to why Cowher was not taking heat last year is that they were in playoff contention throughout last year and were 2-6 the first half of this year, a record completely inexcusable for a team with this amount of talent.

The longer answer is: 1) there was no discussion of whether Cowher was leaving last season - it is a legitimate point of discussion & clear potential distraction, regardless of whether it supposedly only may be discussed if Cowher brings it up; 2) turnovers happen every season, but the comnbination of a negative turnover ratio this season (as opposed to previous years) and Cowher saying stupid penalties "would not happen again" after the Bengals game, followed by the taunting penalty in the Atlanta game plus the back to back penalties on Foote & Porter to start the second half of a Raider game that was the worst loss of the season indicates that, for whatever reason, this team is not as disciplined as previous years.

The players need to keep their heads inthe game, but it is the coach's job to emphasize the point.

It is a different Cowher this year - if anyone else caught the 90 minute Greatest Games Ever Played on ESPN2 the other night of the 1995 Colts-Steelers AFC Championship Game and saw the sideline shots of what has to be described as sheer joy on Cowher's face as he coached that game, as contrasted with his demeanor this year, something has changed, and not for the better. It is more than acting differently in your late 30s than your late 40s

Ben's injuries were a big a part of this season but Ben missed 4 games in 2005 - other factors for this season's problems exist and Cowher's job status is a proper point to be considered.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote