Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Money motivates Cowher's stance

Money motivates Cowher's stance

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 16, 2006

What people don't realize is that Bill Cowher is motivated by the same factors away from the football field that motivate his players.

In particular: Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money.

When Cowher said during a conference call this week that he would make a decision on his future with the Steelers shortly after the season concludes, it was nothing more than psychological ? not to mention financial ? warfare.

Cowher is a winner. He ranks fourth among active NFL coaches with 159 career victories (including playoffs). He has the highest winning percentage of any Steelers coach. The Steelers have the best overall record in the league since 1992, when Cowher took over as coach.

Plus, he's won a Super Bowl.

Winning a Super Bowl placed Cowher in a different coaching stratosphere.

Accolades are great. But money ? the size of a coach's or a player's paycheck ? is the best way to determine who's hot and who's not.

Take money out of the equation, and Cowher's decision to discuss his coaching future with the North Carolina media when the same topic is off-limits to the Pittsburgh media makes little sense.

All season, Cowher has talked around questions regarding his coaching future so that you'd think he was running for political office.

But suddenly, a few days before the Steelers play the Panthers in Charlotte ? in the same state where he and his wife purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh ? he's telling his life story to reporters and leaving his future with the Steelers open for speculation.

Bottom line: Cowher wants to be paid for who he is, and what he's accomplished.

Cowher still brings a lot to the table, despite this year's 6-7 record following last year's Super Bowl season.

Overall, the guy is organized and a motivator. He relates well to his players, and they play hard for him.

At the end of the season, Cowher will meet with chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II. Cowher broke off contract talks before the start of this season, breaking a tradition of always signing an extension prior to the season. Next year is the final year of his contract.

There is speculation that Cowher will return in 2007. There are rumors he will return, but only at a much-higher salary.

Maybe the Steelers bring him back because he's owed one year on a contract worth about $4 million.

Maybe Cowher doesn't come back because he wants to be paid a lot more.

Does Cowher still have it? Despite this year's record, the Steelers have been competitive (with the exception of the 27-0 blowout loss at Baltimore).

Cowher has never, ever lost control of the locker room. That's the key. He's still in charge.

Those are the questions the Rooneys have to ask, along with Cowher's commitment to remaining with the Steelers. They're all fair questions, but the money issue can't be ignored.

Ultimately, pro athletes are defined by how many zeroes are at the end of their salaries.

Well, pro coaches have egos, too. Especially coaches with a Super Bowl victory on their resume.

The Rooneys still have a business to run ? with or without Cowher.

They most likely have a short list of coaching candidates that includes offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

Cowher is the face of the Steelers. It's doubtful the Steelers really want to make a coaching change. The Rooneys stuck with Cowher a few years ago when most teams would have cut him loose.

There's a loyalty factor for Cowher to consider, but Cowher is a hot commodity, and it's important to strike when the iron is hot.

The poetntial dilemma facing the Steelers is much deeper than the coaching on the field.

It might ultimately come down to Cowher wanting the Steelers to pay him what he feels he's worth, and preparing to move on in the event that they don't.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_484548.html
Old 12-16-2006, 03:08 AM   #2
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572
Default Re: Money motivates Cowher's stance

Only BC can answer these questions after our season....I say he comes back, for about 7 million a year...The Rooneys have the cash..$$$
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

Cowher is entitled to seeking the market rate, but if the Steelers would not meet his price in pre-season why would they meet it now?

Based on his record he certainly is one of the top 5 coaches in the league, but Cowher's value certainly has not gone up after this season.

He is leaving unless he is getting divorced, in which case he will need a big raise to cover the property settlement, alimony, and child support.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

This article has no supporting proof.

So Bill didn't extend his contract, only he and his wife know why he didn't. Maybe he misses not being there at his daughters sports events. Maybe he came back this year to take one more shot at winning a super bowl.

He might have already made up his mind last year when he bought that house in NC and no amount of money would have changed it.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
Only BC can answer these questions after our season....I say he comes back, for about 7 million a year...The Rooneys have the cash..$$$
I couldnt disagree more. The Rooneys may have money. But there buisness smarts are why the steelers are as successful as they are. We are talking about daniel snyder. We are talking about the Rooneys. This team would no way pay bill cowher 7 million a year. I dont think they would deem it a smart buisness decision. Espically after the circus we have seen since the superbowl.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

This is simply a "one man's opinion" type article. People say that he isn't putting forth any effort to coach a winning team. If he is motivated by money, doesn't it make sense that if the Rooney's wouldn't give him what he wanted in the preseason negotiations, that slacking for a season to prove his worth is a little counterproductive????? If it's more money he's holding out for, I tend to think that a winning season would prove the point alot better.........
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #7
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
This is simply a "one man's opinion" type article. One one hand, people say that he isn't putting forth any effort to coach a winning team. If he is motivated by money, doesn't it make sense that if the Rooney's wouldn't give him what he wanted in the preseason negotiations, that slacking for a season to prove his worth is a little contraproductive????? If it's more money he's holding out for, I tend to think that a winning season would prove the point alot better.........
thats very true. And if he did want to be the highest paid coach in the nfl why wouldnt you give your 100% instead of standing on the sidelines showing zero emmotion
Old 12-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Personally I think that a winning coach is worth every cent of a $7million contract, especially when you consider the deals that are given to players who have a fraction of the impact.

Think about how much the schemes of a HC can help make or break a players reputation - Joey Porter and other OLB's in the 3-4 for example.

Look at the effect Cowher is having on the stock of Ike Taylor - huge contract and he is only seeing playing time as a nickel/dime back.

Cowher basically controls the effectiveness of all the money the Steelers have invested in players.

The main concern with shelling out the big dollars (at least how I see it) is that it creates a precedent further down the line in future negotiations - but lets be honest - this isn't a WR with a 5 year shelf life we are talking about its a HC with a shelf life that is alotlonger.

The Rooney's are certainly very canny operators when it comes to running the franchise, but that means that they make the decisions that are best for the Steelers - not that they are 'tight' with their money.

Im not saying that Cowher should stay, but if he wanted to and the Rooney's thought he was the best guy for the job I think that $7million would represent good value for money.

It should be remembered that the HC's salary doesn't count toward the cap.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Personally I think that a winning coach is worth every cent of a $7million contract, especially when you consider the deals that are given to players who have a fraction of the impact.

Think about how much the schemes of a HC can help make or break a players reputation - Joey Porter and other OLB's in the 3-4 for example.

Look at the effect Cowher is having on the stock of Ike Taylor - huge contract and he is only seeing playing time as a nickel/dime back.

Cowher basically controls the effectiveness of all the money the Steelers have invested in players.

The main concern with shelling out the big dollars (at least how I see it) is that it creates a precedent further down the line in future negotiations - but lets be honest - this isn't a WR with a 5 year shelf life we are talking about its a HC with a shelf life that is alotlonger.

The Rooney's are certainly very canny operators when it comes to running the franchise, but that means that they make the decisions that are best for the Steelers - not that they are 'tight' with their money.

Im not saying that Cowher should stay, but if he wanted to and the Rooney's thought he was the best guy for the job I think that $7million would represent good value for money.

It should be remembered that the HC's salary doesn't count toward the cap.
so you are saying a coach that hasnt given his 100% this year should be rewarded with a 7 million dollar contract. For the most part this is the same team that took us to the super bowl. I were the rooneys i would have a hard time shelling out 7 million a year for a coach that is comming off a losing season as well as a whole season of controversy
Old 12-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
TheKreiderQuotient
Water Boy

Member Number: 3330

JMO, but if Cowher is letting this all play out the way it is going only as a ploy for more money, I personally have lost a tremendous amount of respect for him. No other organization would have kept him around as long as he has been here to allow him to win that Super Bowl. He has become very rich because the Steelers gave him this job and have had the confidence and vision to keep him there. I know it's an antiquated view in this day and age, but if he is going to stay he owes it to the Rooney's to not hold them hostage which I fear this is getting to.
TheKreiderQuotient is offline   Reply With Quote