Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Tailgate Party > Recipes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #11
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: Need some help please!

Many thanks again...sounds great! I'll be trying some out this week.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShooter View Post
Venison makes wonderful jerky as well. It's probably my favorite, with elk following.

Although I have never made it myself, I love ostrich jerkey as well!

Dehydrators can be purchased very cheaply nowadays, check WalMart and other discount stores, or even online. They come with seasoning starter kits, and other seasoning mixes can be purchased separately. Definitive Instructions come with it all, of course.
I tried the jerky. Got a recipe and used my own seasonings. The first batch was, I thought, a little too salty but it was devoured quickly anyway! The second batch is great. Even the kids like it. I have to say, I've never been a fan of jerky, but this is better than any other kind I've tasted. Thanks again.

I also tried the barbeque, LLT. The adults that I served it to ate 2 and 3 sandwiches a piece. I'd say it went over well! Thanks.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

My in-laws are coming this Sunday....from Montana...he is bringing us 50lbs of meat...vennison,elk,vennison salami, and antelope....

The best way to cook steaks is to heat some olive oil, and saute some garlic...( don't burn it! ) then take the garlic out and cook the steaks to your temp likeness.... ( you can salt and pepper the steaks too...)

Hope this helps.... its the only way we cook wild meat ...its so good !
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

I love garlic NVSteelers. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Ground Venison makes great chili dog chili. Because its usually so fine. The meat is so lean, that steaks are the best marinated in chipolte seasoning. Also the backstraps, smoked.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Thanks Cleves. The challenge that I'm having is finding ways to prepare the meat that my kids will like. They claim that the gamey flavor is too strong for them....even in the barbeque....which the adults that I served it to devoured. I'm stumped.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Flood..I apologize...There is a VERY easy to lessen the gamey taste..soak the venison overnight....also most of the gamey taste is in what little fat Venison has..so in the case of roasts and steaks..trim off as much as possible.

Found some tips to help you out also...just print off for future reference:

Preparation, uses, and tips
Trim off all excess venison fat before cooking, as the fat contains the gamey taste. If some fat is desired, add beef or pork fat.

Tough meat can be tenderized by marinating it in acidic ingredients (for no more than 24 hours), or pounding it with a mallet to break down connective tissues.

Venison toughens quickly if overcooked or cooked at high heat. For best results, use a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the venison, making sure the thermometer is not touching a bone. Internal temperatures should be as follows when the venison is done:

Ground venison 160?F (71?C).

Roasts, steaks:
Medium rare 145?F (62?C)
Medium 160?F (71?C)
Well done 170?F (76.6?C)

Frying

Heat a frying pan until very hot. Add butter or oil. Fry thin steaks 90 seconds on each side. Serve hot.

Roasting

This dry-heat method works well on tender cuts, such as tenderloin, loin, and sirloin roasts. Wash roast under cold water, pat dry, and place on a rack above a shallow roasting pan. Cover top of roast with bacon strips. Insert meat thermometer deep into the meat. Roast at 300 to 350?F (150 to 180?C) until desired internal temperature is reached, 20 to 15 minutes per pound (454g)

Moist roasting

Lay out enough aluminum foil to double-wrap the roast. Sprinkle dehydrated vegetable soup mix on foil; place roast on foil, then sprinkle more soup mix on top of roast. Wrap and cook in preheated 325 to 350?F (160 to 180? C) oven for several hours, until tender yet still moist and juicy.

Broiling

Wash steaks, pat dry, and place steaks or burgers on a rack above a shallow roasting pan. Adjust the oven rack so meat is 3 inches (7.6cm) from the heat source for thin cuts, 4 inches (10cm) for thick cuts. Turn with spatula after 7 to 10 minutes for a 1 1/2-inch (3.8-cm) steak. Cook until desired internal temperature is reached.

Pan-broiling

Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat until very hot. Add oil or butter and place steak or burgers in the skillet. Sear until brown on both sides, turning only once.

Stir-frying

Wash venison, cut into thin strips, and pat dry. Use tender cuts or tough cuts sliced across the grain. Heat a wok or heavy skillet until very hot. Add oil, then the slices of venison. Stir until done, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on quantity. Venison stir-fries well in small batches.

Braising

Wet-heat cooking methods work well for tougher cuts of meat, such as pot roast or brisket. Heat a heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until very hot. Add oil or butter. Wash roast, pat dry, and brown on all sides. When all the meat is browned, add cooking liquid and cover tightly with a lid. Cook in the oven at 325?F (160?C) or on the stovetop over low heat until venison is tender.

Stewing

Wash, pat dry, and cut tougher cuts into cubes. Brown in oil if desired. Then place meat in a Dutch oven and cover with liquid and herbs, spices, and vegetables. Cook in a preheated oven at 325?F (160?C), or on the stovetop over low heat until venison is tender.

Microwaving

For roasts, place meat on a roasting rack over a dish, fat side down. Cook on High for 6 to 8 minutes, then on Medium for 7 to 14 minutes per pound (454g). Turn the dish halfway through. Let stand 15 minutes. For burgers, arrange portions on a greased baking dish, and cook 10 minutes per pound (454g) on High, turning halfway through cooking time.

Grilling

Place steaks or burgers on a prepared grill with the rack about 8 inches (20cm) from the heat source. Grill, turning frequently, for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until fork tender. Homemade or bottled barbecue sauce (or other glazes) may be brushed on venison during last 10 to 20 minutes of grilling time.

To test the temperature, place your palms above the coals or heat source at cooking level. If you have to remove your hands after 2 seconds, the temperature is hot; after 3 seconds, medium hot; and after 4 seconds, medium. More than 4 seconds indicates the grill has not reached cooking temperature.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #18
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

I chase them down and eat them raw but you know what they say differnt strokes for differnt folks

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Thanks LLT! I was beginning to think that I would have to give away a freezer full of meat. I'll try your idea and see what they think.

Arkie....there are no words....LOL!

Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #20
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
Thanks Cleves. The challenge that I'm having is finding ways to prepare the meat that my kids will like. They claim that the gamey flavor is too strong for them....even in the barbeque....which the adults that I served it to devoured. I'm stumped.
Tacos! Always works, I serve tacos then tell everyon ethat they just ate venison! Tacos