Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,133 Times in 2,637 Posts
Default Tom Brady wants MORE protection???

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../week15/2.html

Quote:
Quote of the Week III
"You breathe on the quarterback these days and it's 15 yards.''
-- Former Green Bay GM Ron Wolf on what he feels is the over-protection of quarterbacks by officials.

Quote:

Quote of the Week IV
"Standing back there, we can't defend ourselves. You're standing there holding the ball. It's not like you have time to shed blocks or anything. You're standing there, like a mannequin, so I don't think they're protecting us too much. There are plenty of calls this year where I thought they should have thrown more flags, [when] I was probably pretty [ticked] off to the ref about [a flag] he didn't throw.
-- New England QB Tom Brady on what he feels is the under-protection of quarterbacks by officials.

someone should remind him he's an nfl qb and not some finely manicured lifesized ken doll who models tuxedos in a macys storefront window.

anyone think brett farve has ever even said the word "mannequin"?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268
Default Re: Tom Brady wants MORE protection???

Tell him to buy a gun

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I would certainly agree that QB's are receiving too much protection from the officials.

However, im not entirely sure how Brady (a guy with at least average intelligence) should have answered the question.

Maybe he should have said that refs are doing a bad job, that they are over-protecting QB's and see how the next set of officials look after him against Jax?

A better indicator of the state of mind of Brady in this interview would be his previous answer to basically the same question.

Quote:
Q: We saw a couple of questionable roughing the passer calls last week. Do you like the direction it's gone in terms of protecting the quarterback or has it gone too far?

TB: Do I like them protecting the quarterbacks? [laughter]
The question is basically ludicrous because the interviewer is asking the QB for an answer on a subject that he has a vested interest in.

Thats my take on it, anyway.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Of course the proof is in the pudding. How many games has Brady missed? Who has been picked as the toughest player in the league?

I can understand this jealousy surrounding Brady. He's won 3 Super Bowls. He's rich. The ladies love him. There are always going to be small minded people around that are going be jealous. If you're a pimple on a hogs a$$ you're going to look for ways to put Tom Brady down.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,415 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post
Of course the proof is in the pudding. How many games has Brady missed? Who has been picked as the toughest player in the league?

I can understand this jealousy surrounding Brady. He's won 3 Super Bowls. He's rich. The ladies love him. There are always going to be small minded people around that are going be jealous. If you're a pimple on a hogs a$$ you're going to look for ways to put Tom Brady down.
Brady by far is not the toughest player in the league!!!!
Lets put Favre at the top of that list, When was the last time he missed a game??????
Then I'd have to say Big Ben with everything he went through on and off the field.
I'd even put Simms before Brady, playing with a ruptured spleen like that.

Brady's just been luck so far that he has not had any big major injury's yet (i.e. concussions, knee surgery) to try and play through.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,787 Times in 2,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post

Well apparently one lady does not love him as much as she used to :)

I do not know if it is a matter of being jealous so much as QBs being perceived as being coddled as the "stars" of the league to the point it is turning rushing the passer into touch football.

Given the mega-investments in QBs and the size/strength/speed of those rushing the QB, almost everyone in the league has an interest in protecting those investments (with the apparent exception of the Falcons, who finally gave up and put Vick in his natural position of tailback the other night for a play). However, the question is at what point that interest needs to be outweighed by the presumably unavoidable fact that football is a collision sport in which all players get smacked arouind from time to time as an unavoidable part of the game.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
hardwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I do not know if it is a matter of being jealous so much as QBs being perceived as being coddled as the "stars" of the league to the point it is turning rushing the passer into touch football.
I'm not talking about the position and whats happened to it. Brady was singled out in this thread. That was the reason for the opening post. With Brady it's jealousy. All you have to do is look at the nonsense in post #5. Everybody knows Brady played last year with an injury that drove McNabb to quit mid season and have surgery.

Brady has been said by many to be one of the toughest players in the league. I know he kicked the Steelers a$$ twice on the way to Super Bowl victories, but get over it Steeler fans. He's just tougher, smarter, and better then anything you have. :)

HW

===========================

Five toughest players in the NFL
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
Archive

Every player in the NFL considers himself tough, but certain players simply rise above the pack when it comes to toughness. These are the guys who are mentally tough, perform when the game is on the line, can be counted on by coaches and teammates, have stood the test of time and can handle the rigors of the league. These men rarely miss time due to injures and inspire those around them. Which players best fit this description? Who are the NFL's true tough guys?

Number 1: Tom Brady

We all know about Brady's postseason brilliance, but a true testament to his toughness was his performance last season. He probably had the best season of his career, despite losing his starting left tackle and center for almost the entire year. The Patriots also had multiple injuries at running back and wide receiver, and Brady played hurt for much of 2005 as well. He not only orchestrated the offense and called audibles, but helped make the offensive line calls. Brady makes every player on New England's roster better and is a vocal leader. No quarterback in the league is more competitive or fearless in the pocket; Brady will step into throws with total disregard for his body, despite facing a heavy pass rush. Praising Brady can get redundant, but he is truly special and the best (and maybe the toughest) player in the league.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/previ...26id%3d2562374
Old 12-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

A QB that doesn't want to get clocked by 300+ lb defensive linemen? Say it ain't so....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Hey Hardwork Mr. Tough Guy Tom Brady didn't finish the 2001 AFC title game. He was knocked out of the game and Drew Bledsoe came in. So Brady didn't kick the Steelers ass in that game. As for the other game he did tear the Steelers a new *******. But you know what I have said many times that Tom Brady is a great QB but **** Tom Brady.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
hardwork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Tom Brady is a great QB but **** Tom Brady.
I can live with that.