Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Road to the playoffs

By The Tribune-Review
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Steelers need to win their final two games and receive a lot of help from other teams to make the playoffs.
The postseason picture is still muddled, and teams' strength of victory could become a factor. Strength of victory is computed by counting beaten opponents' wins and dividing that number by the total games those opponents have played.

If the Steelers and Bengals each finish 9-7, the Steelers will be eliminated because the Bengals would win the tiebreaker based on a better conference record. When three or more teams are tied for playoff spots, tiebreakers are first applied within divisions.

Here's a closer look at AFC playoff scenarios:

Team.... Overall..AFC.. Remaining games
Broncos....8-6... 7-4 ....vs. Bengals (8-6), vs. 49ers (6-8)
Bengals....8-6 ...6-4 ....at Broncos (8-6), vs. Steelers (7-7)
Jaguars ...8-6 ...5-5 ....vs. Patriots (10-4), at Chiefs (7-7)
Jets ........8-6 ...5-5 .....at Dolphins (6-8), vs. Raiders (2-12)
Bills ........7-7 ...5-5 .....vs. Titans (7-7), at Ravens (11-3)
Steelers...7-7 ...4-6 .....vs. Ravens (11-3), at Bengals (8-6)
Titans......7-7 ...4-6 .....at Bills (7-7), vs. Patriots (10-4)
Chiefs.....7-7 ....3-7 .....at Raiders (2-12), vs. Bengals (8-6)

What needs to happen for the Steelers to reach the playoffs:

? The Broncos beat the Bengals

? The Jaguars lose their final two games

? The Jets, Titans and Bills lose at least one of their final two games.

How the Steelers would reach the playoffs:

? The Broncos claim the first wild-card spot with a 10-6 record or by winning the No. 2 tiebreaker.

? The Steelers finish in a tie at 9-7 with the Jets and likely the Chiefs. The Chiefs are eliminated by the No. 2 tiebreaker. The Steelers then beat the Jets in the No. 3 tiebreaker.

How the Steelers would be eliminated even if they win their final two games:

? The Jaguars win either of their final two games.

? The Jets win both of their remaining games.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140
Default Re: Road to the playoffs

I believe that the Jets need to lose BOTH of their remaining games in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. If the Jets only lose one of their remaining 2 games then they win the 1st tie breaker against the Steelers, a better conference record.

It's too damn confusing at this point. I read one scenario that indicated that the Steelers would benifit from a Bengals victory against the Broncos. ????? There's too many varieties at this point but I do know with certainty that the Jaguars MUST lose out in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. Things will become clearer after the week 16 games are completed.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

The Jags have been on a tailspin lately and they have to play the Pats and Chiefs (who are also vying for a playoff spot) - they have a tough road ahead in these last 2 matchups. It is confusing right now with all of the possibilities, but the one thing that is certain - the Steelers MUST beat both the Rats and Bungles to have a legitimate shot at getting there. They need to concentrate on what they are doing and not worry about where the chips fall. Even in the event that the Steelers don't make it, it would be great to close out the season playing spoiler to the Bungles!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Yes it would be amazing for the Bungles to go back into the hole they came from.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

What sucks Steelers fans have to root for Tom Brady and the Pats this week. That was as bad as rooting for Peyton Manning and the Colts last night. I think I'm going to puke.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Not a bad guy to have to rely on, eh?
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
Big Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 4303

Take care of our own business and if it works out it works out, if not then we'll come back with a vengence next year. I'll be damned if I'd root for anyone else.
Big Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
I believe that the Jets need to lose BOTH of their remaining games in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. If the Jets only lose one of their remaining 2 games then they win the 1st tie breaker against the Steelers, a better conference record.

It's too damn confusing at this point. I read one scenario that indicated that the Steelers would benifit from a Bengals victory against the Broncos. ????? There's too many varieties at this point but I do know with certainty that the Jaguars MUST lose out in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. Things will become clearer after the week 16 games are completed.
The Jets only need to lose one game. If the Jets lose one game, their conference record will be 6-6, the same as ours if we win out. Strength of victory then comes in and I think we have that over them.
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
robcesq
Water Boy

Member Number: 4305

I think there's another scenario that gets the Steelers to the playoffs. It isn't necessary for Jacksonville to lose both of their games - so long as Tennessee wins both of their games (against Buffalo and New England). Under this scenario, Tennessee and Jacksonville would both finish at 9-7 and, under tiebreaker #1, Tennessee and Jacksonville must first go through the tiebreaker alone so that only 1 team remains from the South Division. Tennessee would knock out Jacksonville based on Division record (Tenn is4-2; Jacksonville is 2-4). Pittsburgh would then beat out Tennessee based on the common opponents tiebreaker (Steelers 2-3; Tennessee 1-4). Of course, it assumes Pittsburgh wins both of its remaining games, and some of the other outcomes. I welcome anyone confirming my thought on this scenario.
robcesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
The Jets only need to lose one game. If the Jets lose one game, their conference record will be 6-6, the same as ours if we win out. Strength of victory then comes in and I think we have that over them.
We do.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote